Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:02 PM

454 posts, read 886,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I like DD coffee, only when I get at a DD. I don't like it when I brew it myself. I think its the temp that DD serves it...yum!
If you can, try DD coffee at home again, but grind it yourself. It makes a difference! Also, a friend who managed a few DD's let me in on a secret...DD uses light cream, not half and half in their coffee unles you specify otherwise. It makes the coffee creamy and rich...and for the small amount used, it's not a big deal to those of us on a perpetual diet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 06:18 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
I have a Keurig system at home now, so unless DD starts making K-Cups, its Green Mtn for me. Thank you for the tip though!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I have a Keurig system at home now, so unless DD starts making K-Cups, its Green Mtn for me. Thank you for the tip though!
Can't you get the "universal" coffee filter for those?
Over Christmas, one of the home stores was serving free coffee from a Keurig one-cup-at-a-time maker (promotion), and right next to the machine were boxes of universal filters which you could fill with any kind of coffee to fit in the Keurig.
Maybe it doesn't work with your model though.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:29 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Designer coffee is not in our budget.
Or ours, but sometimes we splurge
You might try this: 1/4 fancy coffee beans mixed with 3/4 regular coffee beans. When I do this with Folger's Classic as the "regular" and some strong type of Green Mountain as the "fancy", it yields a nice cup of coffee that is different from the everyday.
Just a thought.

I love Starbucks' mocha latte --- coca-moca as I prefer to call it, but it's too sweet, not to mention pricey, for anything but a rare treat for me.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:52 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I spent a few years on a sub homeported at Subase Bangor in Washington. Near the home of Starbucks. Most everyone there drank Starbucks. I tasted it, but we did not shift to it. We were already very happy with the coffee that we serve at home.

We buy the cheapest generic coffee available, then we mix it 50/50 with roasted barley.

We used to roast barley in our oven ourselves at home, but recently we have found a local supplier of pre-roasted barley, so now we can buy it already roasted.

This mixture takes the acid-ness out of the coffee and keeps it rich.

My wife and I drink four to six pots each day of our coffee.

Back before we had ever heard of drinking barley, when our eldest son was born, he had serious stomach problems. My grandparents recommended bottle feeding him barley tea, it had been fed to babies with stomach problems for many centuries before 'infant formula'. He grew well by drinking barley tea and today stands 6 inches taller than his father.

Then we learned that the Roman Army marched on barley, and they conquered all of Europe.

Then our parents told us that during the depression when nobody had coffee they shifted to drinking coffee made from roasted barley.

So we tried it, and we liked it.

Try it, you will like it.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,819 times
I am a Dunkin Donuts girl and have been for years. At home I use Folgers Classic. However a few weeks ago I drove through McDonalds at the suggestion of a friend and tried their new coffee. In the past I have never, ever liked coffee from McDonalds. However, the new Newman's Organic coffee was wonderful! I will go there again. I have to drive by one every morning on the way to work. It is rarely crowded but if I continue down the street to Dunkin Donuts the line is out in the street. I will skip the line and go to McDonalds.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:56 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Never heard of drinking roasted barley, but I can imagine it's very healthy. Thanks for the tip. I will have to try that! So do you just throw it in and grind it with the coffee beans?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:04 PM

Ok, do you think the roasted barley coffee has carbs? I can't add a bunch of carbs to my diet. I would guess the water just takes the flavor or the barley, but hopefully not the carbs!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:05 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Or ours, but sometimes we splurge
You might try this: 1/4 fancy coffee beans mixed with 3/4 regular coffee beans. When I do this with Folger's Classic as the "regular" and some strong type of Green Mountain as the "fancy", it yields a nice cup of coffee that is different from the everyday.
Just a thought.

I love Starbucks' mocha latte --- coca-moca as I prefer to call it, but it's too sweet, not to mention pricey, for anything but a rare treat for me.
What a great idea. I will definitely try this! I am looking forward to trying Elston's suggestion about brewing with maple sap too.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:08 PM

I've never had access to maple sap, but I do brew with anything that sounds good that day. I put dry spices in my grounds and any wet extracts go into the pot. I also put cocoa powder into the pot and cinnamon in the grounds occasionally for a Parisian hot cocoa flavor.

Yeah, I know! Flavored coffee.........what did BobTex call it........foofoo......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine