Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 02:13 PM

43 posts, read 74,673 times

Advertisements

Wow, this thread got off topic in a big way...

To the OP -- I wish you great success in your efforts to relocate to Maine. I'll echo everything everyone has said about jobs, but if you can be flexible both in terms of what you do and income, you can find something. Ellsworth is a nice community, with great people and lots of amenities, and is convenient to a lot of great places in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 02:53 PM

534 posts, read 904,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Christinerica -
You speak a lot about fear, fright, and terror; shootings, thugs, bumps in the night.

I live in Maine. Where we enjoy a very low crime rate. My front door remains unlocked, my truck keys are in the ignition.

If you slide off the road into a snow bank, of the next 10 cars that pass, how many will stop and ask if you need help? I have seen this happen too. Out of 10 cars that pass by 9 will stop for you.

Mainers are not hiding in their homes with drapes pull, armed to the teeth, in fear of the boogey man. What you are describing is not a reality in Maine [as far as I have seen].

Perhaps you have spent far too long carrying a firearm, and may now be in need to counseling. I have been active at the VFW, a lot of us combat vets carry internal scars and need to talk to a professional.

Let me show you what I see in your writing:
... The culture of the south is a mindset of carting guns everywhere concealed.
... Shootings and thuggery are everyday events.
... people are so frightened that they must go to a grocery store armed.
... The concern I have is seeing assault weapons
... people really that frightened that they insist upon open carry of an Ar-15 or AK47
... feel so terrorized by things that go bump in the night, perhaps you should be armed to the teeth.
... others can draw their blinds tight, turn off lights, and have a tactical holster under the bathrobe.
... May they forever delight in being frightened.
... walking inside my home armed.
... The fear I allude to is those who cannot live with out a firearm,
... for they must truly love the darkness of their own shadow.

You focus a lot on fear, fright, terror, shootings, thugs, and people doing things out of fear about bumps in the night.

You say the South is like this. It sounds like maybe there is an image being projected onto others somewhere in all of this.

I live where the crime rate is low. I live among a lot people who enjoy their firearms. In my town there is only one store, a gunsmith. Hunting, trapping, fishing are big sports here. I am not aware of anyone here, living in this fear / fright / terror that you go on and on about.

If you wish to live in a 'gun free' environment as you stated many times, then perhaps rural Maine might not be the place for you.

There are guns here. Open Carry, Concealed Carry, Full-Auto, Silencers, black, stainless steel, and pink.

Talk to someone about these fears, seek treatment.

May God bless and keep you.
Still I ask you, who is the one inside their home with a loaded weapon at their side? Not I. Feel free to patrol your bathroom with your shotgun, just don't slip on the soap.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:03 PM

9 posts, read 10,002 times
I haven't been around here for awhile...nasty flu knocked me down for nearly a week.
In simplest terms, I would love to live in a nice little town with entertainment options, close to school, grocery stores, quaint shopping options, etc...
Ellsworth is sticking to me...it's been mentioned that it attracts tourists, however...that is perfectly fine with me. My goal is to be not so far away from my friend that lives in Steuben, but to be close to employment options.
In all honesty, I've become a bit dissuaded after doing some research, and am now having second thoughts on moving up there. After so many years of moving along with the status quo...I know we need a BIG change; I am just not so sure as to where this change will happen now.
Thank you for your insight, everyone

Old 01-10-2015, 09:39 AM

38 posts, read 52,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post

But until then I remain gun free and wasp spray armed for the scary things that go bump in the night...others can draw their blinds tight, turn off lights, and have a tactical holster under the bathrobe. May they forever delight in being frightened. No way to live a life.
No, that's not quite it. I'm NOT frightened by things that go bump in the night BECAUSE I have loaded weapons in my home.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 AM

20 posts, read 29,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberlette View Post
I haven't been around here for awhile...nasty flu knocked me down for nearly a week.
In simplest terms, I would love to live in a nice little town with entertainment options, close to school, grocery stores, quaint shopping options, etc...
Ellsworth is sticking to me...it's been mentioned that it attracts tourists, however...that is perfectly fine with me. My goal is to be not so far away from my friend that lives in Steuben, but to be close to employment options.
In all honesty, I've become a bit dissuaded after doing some research, and am now having second thoughts on moving up there. After so many years of moving along with the status quo...I know we need a BIG change; I am just not so sure as to where this change will happen now.
Thank you for your insight, everyone
If you can would you share why? I am deciding more ME than VT or NH. Maybe you have some insight that I do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine