Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 01:11 PM

9 posts, read 42,596 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here converted a reefer trailer in to a living space? Do you know of someone who has? If so could you pass there name along to me. I'm trying to decide how best to make the move to my land. In the long term I can see building a home. But for the short term I can see building and living in what would become an outbuilding. The reefer trailers intrigue me. Any info/response would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 01:56 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
I know of two used as camps. You can heat the thing with a candle. The first buyer put a wood stove in there and the temp went to 120 degrees. They had to open the window, It is insulated on all six sides. The reefer unit is still in place high in the front, but it will be removed for storage. A small propane heater will be more than enough heat, but beware. The unit is sealed. You will need to allow for ventilation or the propane unit will use up all the oxygen in the "box". The owner would not want me to divulge the location or his contact info. I have pics though.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:17 PM

Thanks, fellow Northern Mainer! I would love to see the pics. I looked at a couple of reefer trailers today, a 48' and a 53 footer. They were priced at $2500 and in decent shape. I'm seriously considering buying one. I'm moving this spring and making plans now. I don't want to buy one of those Amish buildings although they are nice. I have a lot of tools and 2- 4'X8' work benches. I think I would partition the trailer in to work space and living space.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Sounds like a good plan to me. The units I have seen are containers used in ocean shipment. They don't come with wheels. Consider transportation costs. If you get one that has wheels, you will have storage space under it.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:53 PM

625 posts, read 791,746 times
Refer units are not something I would want to live in. First some can be almost air tight so while you can heat it with a candle you can kill yourself with the carbon monoxide it gives off. Next you have NO clue what may have been in the unit and what has soaked into the insulation that may do you all kinds of harm.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:27 PM

Installing a few leaky windows and a door will provide the air needed for properly operating a wood stove for heating. Having smoke and CO alarms installed would be the prudent thing to do as well. Generally these kinds of trailers were used for hauling food products so the idea that potentially toxic substances are absorbed in to the insulation is highly unlikely. Additionally the insulation is covered with panels made from a material called kemlite, a high impact strength fiber glass reinforced plastic. The MSDS data sheet on Kemlite says that it's a pretty benign material and that potential health hazards do exist when cutting, drilling and sawing the material where dust can be created. I suspect that there are more carcinogens and potentially toxic materials found in modern camper trailers than there are found in reefer trailers.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:45 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Whatever you use, I'd suggest spraying the outside with olive drab paint (or at least dark gray). The usual white sticks out like a sore thumb. It's better if you hide the fact that you are living in it. And don't talk to any "code enforcement" guys - they just want you to put in a $20K septic system!

Old 01-23-2015, 04:42 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Having a legal septic system might be a good idea.

Of course if you search close you may find the remains of an old outhouse. My Grange hall still has an indoor three-hole facility.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Having a legal septic system might be a good idea.

Of course if you search close you may find the remains of an old outhouse. My Grange hall still has an indoor three-hole facility.
I'm planning on putting in a legal gray water system and having a composting toilet.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:58 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skagrock View Post
I'm planning on putting in a legal gray water system and having a composting toilet.
All Grey water 'systems' are legal gray water systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: