Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 03:52 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
HA!! Might wanna do some more research next time; East Millinocket is so cheap because it's an entire area of unemployed people (it's infamous; the paper industry there died off in the past couple decades and now it's so bad the town spends its little tax money on all this research to find out what they can do to not become an entire town of homeless people) and it has some of the worst schools in the entire state. So yes, you could live there cheaply... where you'd have no job and nothing to do and your kids would be getting lessons from 30 year old textbooks.
I'm sorry, but this just kind of seems like trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 04:13 PM

155 posts, read 196,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I'm sorry, but this just kind of seems like trolling.
How is it trolling? I'm being accurate, look up a site like Great Schools and things like Census data about the East Millinocket area, talk to people who grew up there recently (people in their early 20s). Just because, as I've seen from reading this forum for a few years now, you have this rose-colored view of All Things Maine doesn't mean your view is accurate. Places like East Millinocket are not where you want to settle if you're trying to have a career, raise a family etc when you have choices. Cheap houses? Sure, but good luck finding work and opportunity.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:42 PM

631 posts, read 748,880 times
You underestimate the willingness to commute.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:46 PM

155 posts, read 196,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
You underestimate the willingness to commute.
To what Bangor? That's where you'd likely need to go for any sort of possibility for a decent job. Now you're looking at... well over an hour each way, and that still doesn't solve the issue that the Katahdin region is infamous for having the worst schools in the state.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:11 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
Millinocket would be a good place for someone that didn't have kids and liked to commute or their business requires travel anyway. It has lots of outdoor recreation opportunities, cheap housing, several needed services and it's not too far from the turnpike.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:14 PM

90 minutes to 2 hours commute (one way) on $3.25/gal fuel was normal for me, this is paradise lol.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:54 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
90 minutes to 2 hours commute (one way) on $3.25/gal fuel was normal for me, this is paradise lol.
I just saw the other thread about you leaving Modesto. I was in Turlock just yesterday on my route. It's going to be quite the change for you from Modesto to ME. I kind of look at the two coasts as being a little schizophrenic. One has plenty of water, few people and lots of outdoor recreation while the other has no water, many people and lots of outdoor recreation. I'm on a two year or less countdown to retirement myself. I plan on building a cabin on my family property in Dover while living in my other family property up in Cottonwood, CA in the winters.

Congratulations and good luck.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:26 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
How is it trolling? I'm being accurate, look up a site like Great Schools and things like Census data about the East Millinocket area, talk to people who grew up there recently (people in their early 20s). Just because, as I've seen from reading this forum for a few years now, you have this rose-colored view of All Things Maine doesn't mean your view is accurate. Places like East Millinocket are not where you want to settle if you're trying to have a career, raise a family etc when you have choices. Cheap houses? Sure, but good luck finding work and opportunity.
Because you seem to have an axe to grind. If you don't have kids, who needs schools? And even if you do have kids, there is always homeschooling. Many people do it.
I have not heard anything good or bad about the schools in that area.
Retirees can get a great house in a great area for dirt cheap.
People can commute, as noted. The highway speed limit is now 75, so you can drive to Lincoln or the Bangor area in an hour or less. Same with any other jobs in the area. I know people who live in Millinocket and work in Bangor four days a week. It's worth it to them, when a house costs half what it would in Bangor and you get to live ten minutes from Baxter.
And while there are few high paying jobs in the East Millinocket/Millinocket area, there are jobs. The unemployment rate in that area is 12%, which is high. But it's not like nobody is working.
I just want people to be accurate and give good information.
From a personal point of view, I would rather be a bit poorer and live in the Katahdin area than be a bit richer and live in a boring part of Maine.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:53 PM

^ Thank you, RMoore!

Something that bothers me about primary school reputation is that the blame completely falls upon the school faculty and the school itself. Reputation really doesn't guarantee success, intelligence, or ability to move past the challenges of any environment in students; it is the student that does the work to advance.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:01 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I just saw the other thread about you leaving Modesto. I was in Turlock just yesterday on my route. It's going to be quite the change for you from Modesto to ME. I kind of look at the two coasts as being a little schizophrenic. One has plenty of water, few people and lots of outdoor recreation while the other has no water, many people and lots of outdoor recreation.
One of my brothers lives in Turlock, he seems to love it there. A sister is in Keyes [next door] they are farmers , boy do they hate these droughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine