Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 08:20 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times

Advertisements

From time to time, I read of camp break-ins on the Maine forum, esp in the more remote areas. My questions:

Does this tend to occur more in summer than winter, or the reverse, or not related?
Is there any particular group responsible, such as teens, or could it be anyone?
Is theft involved, or destruction of property, or just 'hanging out' at the property?
Are the perpetrators ever caught?
Any other conclusions, or ideas to prevent this?

Our home (it's not a camp) is on the small side, and could be mistaken for one. It's located in a rural area near Millinocket, with not many neighbors close by. Next month we are headed south to visit family and look at some land. We'll be leaving a couple pickups parked in the yard as per usual, and some night-time LED lights inside and outside the house. If it snows, the drive won't be plowed. Otherwise...nothing. We could be gone 2 to 4 weeks. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 12:38 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
I leave TV on and an upstairs light or two if we are gone for a while........seems like some one is home...

Old 01-25-2015, 12:43 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
There are few homes in the area we live in. Our vehicle is in the garage 99% of the time we're home. Our neighbors keep an eye on our place and, call to check on us if they don't see tracks in the snow or some other "signs of life". The mail carrier keeps an eye on us as well and, if there was ever a time we didn't collect our mail, she would come to the door.
There's no place like "The Ridge".

Old 01-25-2015, 02:06 PM

Thanks for responses!

Perhaps the danger is not as great as I had feared. Gettin' mighty cold and snowy this time of year, for anyone looking for a place to break into for kicks. I'll see what else I can come up with!

Old 01-25-2015, 02:12 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
We leave lights on a timer and we have neighbors that keep an eye on our place. We do the same for them. Maine is like that.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
What I have observed from police reports is out-of-work people going into abandoned homes and ripping out the wiring and plumbing.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
I would put on a looped recording of a vicious dog barking.

I would not leave anything valuable in the house...money, jewelry, computer files or backups...take it all with you. Maybe post a sign on the front door: We've taken everything with us, please do not enter.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
What I have observed from police reports is out-of-work people going into abandoned homes and ripping out the wiring and plumbing.
In our case, there isn't a whole lot of wiring! Plumbing is just PEX and PVC, ah the joys of modern off-grid homesteading! Cheap to replace it, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I would put on a looped recording of a vicious dog barking.

I would not leave anything valuable in the house...money, jewelry, computer files or backups...take it all with you. Maybe post a sign on the front door: We've taken everything with us, please do not enter.
Sure, we'll leave a sign: "Off-grid property - no Romex, and plastic plumbing"!

Old 01-27-2015, 06:10 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
Have your mail held by the P.O. Use the timers for lights and leave a radio or tv on a timer too. Problem is todays appliances are electronic in that once unplugged you have to use the remote/hit the switch to turn them back on. We had an "analog" radio.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Have your mail held by the P.O. Use the timers for lights and leave a radio or tv on a timer too. Problem is todays appliances are electronic in that once unplugged you have to use the remote/hit the switch to turn them back on. We had an "analog" radio.
We get our mail at the PO (box) and they know we'll be away. I can leave a battery radio on, but once the batteries get low, that's it. We don't watch TV. We're also off-grid, so we have to conserve the power, as no one will be there to charge the battery bank by generator, if the sun doesn't shine on our panels. But the fridge will be off, freezer off, most everything off...so there could well be power for the radio and lights.

Thanks for suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: