Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:39 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

As far as "Juno" the Blizzard... NESIS rated it a Cat 2.

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post38229775
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 10:06 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
and here comes another snow of 12-18" starting tomorrow...

Old 01-30-2015, 04:00 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
In most states they would call this a crippling snowstorm. In Maine we call it Friday.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:20 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Tell you what. Shoveling this snow every day, sometimes for hours at a time (the blizzard) and using my arms, legs and all of the bending, I don't need to go on an exercise program. I am getting a good workout with each storm. Just hope that I don't run out of places to put the snow.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:53 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In most states they would call this a crippling snowstorm. In Maine we call it Friday.
We're getting the hang of it for sure ! And the funny part is- we are using the snow blower alot more than we would be using a riding mower to cut grass in the spring and summer time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Tell you what. Shoveling this snow every day, sometimes for hours at a time (the blizzard) and using my arms, legs and all of the bending, I don't need to go on an exercise program. I am getting a good workout with each storm. Just hope that I don't run out of places to put the snow.
Oh I know! We have been trying to figure that out also.
I have a ditch/ covert at the front of my yard that is about 8 feet deep. With the snow plowing - that ditch is now level with the rest of the front yard

Old 01-31-2015, 04:39 AM

I know somebody who swung his pickup onto such a surface yesterday. The truck was sitting on the plow and the rear wheels. It took three pickups to drag it back into the road.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:08 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Friday-Saturday's Storm had less wind than Juno, but for us, more snow. Also the wind was blowing from the Northwest rather than the Northeast, which meant that we got more drifts on the driveway and roof. I need a small snow blower for the porch after dumping the snow off the roof.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:13 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Downeast is just getting hammered, it sounds like. And tomorrow will be another foot for them??!!

Old 02-02-2015, 03:37 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Downeast is just getting hammered, it sounds like. And tomorrow will be another foot for them??!!
Looks that way here on MDI. And then another 16 inches from Wednesday afternoon till Friday Morning. And then looks like another 8 Next Sunday into Monday.

There are places in my yard near the driveway where the snow is 5 feet high---just like Buffalo.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:19 PM

I have seen deer sign where they cross roads. I say "sign" because they should not be called tracks or footprints. It looks like somebody dragged a kayak out into the woods. The snow is way above their bellies and is up to their shoulders. They are swimming in the snow.

Few of the snowmobile trails have been broken out with the exception of the ITS trails. These are the main snowmobile routes from region to region. You can go just about anywhere in Maine by snowmobile right now. Caution: Don't try to be the first one to break out a snowmobile trail unless you are in a local club and know exactly where the trail should go. Miss the bridge and you could be in water, looking up at a soft pile of snow that you cannot climb.

That said, stay off the lakes. Yes, the ice is safe, but the great weight of the snow is weighing down the ice. When the ice breaks, water wells up through the cracks and the snow soaks up water like a sponge. We call this "wetting up". You can start across a lake on your snowmobile and suddenly your sled drops under you and the track spins. You are done for the day and it may take a team of snowmobiles Experienced snowmobilers know not to ride onto grey snow. That is slush. If you want to stop for some reason, make a big circle and look at your own track. If it is grey, don't stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine