Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:05 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,861 times

Advertisements

Yea- I know .. dumb question - but I am curious- how do you all put the snow for removal- and would love pictures..
Do you make a big standing pile?
Do you get creative and park it everywhere in mounds etc?

12" before juno- then 26" afterwards and now another 12-18 coming.. and its uh... in the teens so no chance of a melt.
I will say this - our front yard ditch, thats like 8 feet deep, is now level with the rest of the front yard LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 03:55 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Unless you have a big flat area where you can push the snow with a pickup, you need a snowblower.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:53 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times
The pile in our front yard is about 6 ft high at the moment. After tomorrow's shoveling, we may get it up to 7 or 8 ft.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:35 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Unless you have a big flat area where you can push the snow with a pickup
Yeah, that's what we did. Go straight through the parking area to the graveled side yard. Plenty of space.

Come summer, that gravel doesn't have to be mowed, either!

Old 01-30-2015, 01:47 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Unless you have a big flat area where you can push the snow with a pickup, you need a snowblower.
Yea we are snow blowing it now. The issue comes with the back yard- ie the dogs yard- and there is no where to put it short of blowing it on the other side the fence.
Then the issue comes, with a hard pack, and animal from the outside could walk into the yard.
While one might wonder why making a path in the dog yard with 5 big dogs- the reason- one of them is older and deep snow is harder on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The pile in our front yard is about 6 ft high at the moment. After tomorrow's shoveling, we may get it up to 7 or 8 ft.
Yea if this keeps up, we won't be able to see the abandoned house next door from the snow pile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yeah, that's what we did. Go straight through the parking area to the graveled side yard. Plenty of space.

Come summer, that gravel doesn't have to be mowed, either!
Good point ! Lets see- I hate to weed trim along the edge.. sending it that way

Old 01-31-2015, 06:38 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
Just cleared our driveway, wife and I, yet again. It is Saturday morning and STILL snowing here in central Maine. Yes, I am running out of places to put all this snow. Banks along our driveway are 5' plus in some places. Town plow keeps the road clear BUT now we have mountains along the sides of the road, including the driveway, and it is hard to see if there is traffic coming. I could actually tunnel through this stuff in some areas and make a snow cave or an igloo. I banked the snow along the foundation on the north side of the house to insulate and keep out the wind to prevent freeze-ups. Had one there already. At least it is good for something.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:43 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Just cleared our driveway, wife and I, yet again. It is Saturday morning and STILL snowing here in central Maine. Yes, I am running out of places to put all this snow. Banks along our driveway are 5' plus in some places. Town plow keeps the road clear BUT now we have mountains along the sides of the road, including the driveway, and it is hard to see if there is traffic coming.
Yeah, my wife and I - also central Maine - are waiting until the snow stops falling (this storm anyway), so I guess we'll spend the afternoon shoveling. So far we're doing OK in the front re: places to put the snow.

I noticed yesterday - we had to go to Waterville for a doctor's appointment - that some intersections are getting to be more of a challenge than usual, due to the height of the snow piled up there. This is our first winter in Maine - when weather permits, do any of the crews come back around and try to push some of the snow back further, so drivers can see without actually getting into intersections?

Old 01-31-2015, 09:05 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
My first winter in Maine as well GreenGene but lived in NEK Vermont which was just about the same snowfall wise. Some towns do the "snow augur" on the bucket loader where they go down along the roadways and blow the snow into dump trucks, like a giant snow blower, and haul it away to a proper dump area. Don't know for sure but suspect that the town of Waterville would have one or two of these. The small NEK town where we lived, about the size of Skowhegan, had one.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:36 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,988 times
Where to put the snow? Higher and higher piles. Not near the house where the melt could end up in your cellar.

I am moving piles, bucketful by miserable bucketful.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:20 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
I snow blow it, but would be happy to have the next few storms not have huge amounts of wind. this is because it won't blow in the north direction when the wind is blowing at 30 mph from that direction. The south side is gittin' kind of high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine