Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times

Advertisements

It's one of those gorgeous Maine winter days without a cloud in the dark blue sky. Enjoy it. I bet MaineWriter is out with her camera. I will be out soon too, but for me it's the job.

Tomorrow we are expecting about a foot of heavy wet snow and sleet followed by a half inch of freezing rain. That is always followed by power outages.

Right now we have over 2 feet of snow in the woods. The deer's bellies are dragging as they travel. If we get a half inch of ice the deer will be unable to travel and coyotes will be able to run on top. That will make for a very small fawn crop this spring. I sure hope tomorrow's storm will be all snow and sleet. Deer and humans alike can deal with that much better

- - -

Maybe this can lead to a continuing weather thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:31 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
I ventured out to the pharmacy and IGA. The parking lots are trecherous now, if it freezes up and we get a big mess, I won't be leaving the house for a few days!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 AM

48,113 posts, read 21,994,714 times
msina you better stay in; sounds like weather for your nordic walking poles! Do be careful!

Bake something delicious and then tease us with the description.

PS I thnk "venture out" is a maine expression; or at least new england. I havent heard it in awhile but I do remember my grandmother using it. But on second thought venture out would hardly fit the southern california life style. LOL

Last edited by elston; 02-12-2008 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: I can't stop

Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
The roads here in Auburn have been really bad...esp yesterday when every where I went I saw cars off the road. I learned today thought Auburn had ran out of salt...hopfully they will be ready tomorrow.

P.S. I have nowhere left to throw snow

Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
I have a 4wd Diesel Kubota with a 5 foot snow blower. I put a sticker on the lift arm that says, "I put snow where it belongs." I can drive snow 50 feet into the woods with it.

I have not bought a bag of deer feed for about 3 to 4 years now. I'll be going in to town on Thursday and picking some up. It isn't good to feed deer when they can move for themselves, but when they can't travel it can improve their survival rate tremendously. I bring my feed out into the middle of the woods. I never feed near the house. Deer should not be attracted intentionally to roads.

At my feeding site there was a red squirrel who chastised me loudly for being late when I arrived with feed. He had to be the fattest red squirrel in Penobscot County. One day when I went out there was a shred of red fur hanging from his favorite branch. A hawk had gotten him. That's what happens in nature when you get fat and lazy.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
msina you better stay in; sounds like weather for your nordic walking poles! Do be careful!

Bake something delicious and then tease us with the description.

PS I thnk "venture out" is a maine expression; or at least new england. I havent heard it in awhile but I do remember my grandmother using it. But on second thought venture out would hardly fit the southern california life style. LOL
I dunno about that last bit... I might be more inclined to "venture out" in the ice (I am likely going to get ice walkers or whatever they call those cleats than go on the bottom of your shoes) than to cope with the traffic and mass of humanity in CA! LOL (and I did live in the LA area for high school and 3 yrs of college, long ago... it was "bad enough" then... I can't imagine now!)

Old 02-12-2008, 12:00 PM

48,113 posts, read 21,994,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I dunno about that last bit... I might be more inclined to "venture out" in the ice (I am likely going to get ice walkers or whatever they call those cleats than go on the bottom of your shoes) than to cope with the traffic and mass of humanity in CA! LOL (and I did live in the LA area for high school and 3 yrs of college, long ago... it was "bad enough" then... I can't imagine now!)
I don't disagree with you about that Starwalker, but I think you missed my point. I was making an observation about regional expressions , not a discussion about traffic vs ice! I guess i wasn't clear?

Anyway my original intention was to express fond concern for msina, I don't know why or how it became a point counter-point.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Quote:
Northern Maine Land Man;2803796]I have a 4wd Diesel Kubota with a 5 foot snow blower. I put a sticker on the lift arm that says, "I put snow where it belongs." I can drive snow 50 feet into the woods with it.
maybe some day I'll have enough land for one but for now my snow blower and shovel will have to do. I was at the barber a few weeks ago and one of the patrons was talking about how his wife traded in his kabota for a John Deere for christmas. He said he was devestated...John was a great maching but he has too keep taking off the snow blower to attach the bucket...with his kabota all he had to do was drive backwards which he had gotten really used to.

Quote:
I have not bought a bag of deer feed for about 3 to 4 years now. I'll be going in to town on Thursday and picking some up. It isn't good to feed deer when they can move for themselves, but when they can't travel it can improve their survival rate tremendously. I bring my feed out into the middle of the woods. I never feed near the house. Deer should not be attracted intentionally to roads.
Not to be cruel...I hate to see any animal suffer...but wasn't there a surpluss of deere. I remember..at least around here..they had a problem with too many deere.

Quote:
At my feeding site there was a red squirrel who chastised me loudly for being late when I arrived with feed. He had to be the fattest red squirrel in Penobscot County. One day when I went out there was a shred of red fur hanging from his favorite branch. A hawk had gotten him. That's what happens in nature when you get fat and lazy.
Sounds like an "OLD" nursery tale

Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I don't disagree with you about that Starwalker, but I think you missed my point. I was making an observation about regional expressions , not a discussion about traffic vs ice! I guess i wasn't clear?

Anyway my original intention was to express fond concern for msina, I don't know why or how it became a point counter-point.
Didn't mean to take you off topic... or to denigrate your concern for our friend msina... I do know the "venture out" expression, but do not know where I heard/learned it... have lived so many places the the regionalisms all happily cohabit in my mixed up brain. It seems to be associated with my Grandmother as well, who lived in Iowa, so perhaps it is something from the North, in general... I do seem to recall hearing it in connection with non-frozen weather as well ... I was just expressing the phrase as I have used it here, when our town was hosting a HUGE one-time festival, as it has been a long time since I had weather that I was unwilling to venture out in. I was out taking pictures (and being interviewed by the media that were also out taking pictures) during a hurricane, in fact. LOL I do not recommend it as a general rule.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It's one of those gorgeous Maine winter days without a cloud in the dark blue sky. Enjoy it. I bet MaineWriter is out with her camera. I will be out soon too, but for me it's the job.
I'm not even working on Maine Nature News yet. I'll do it after dark, sunshine is a rare commodity these days. I just came in to get a cup of coffee and see if the camera batteries are charged. It's 20* out, 65* in the greenhouse. I need to collect pullet eggs from the seedling house and clear that roof of snow before this mess comes. The batteries are charged so I'm pouring my coffee into a Thermos mug and going back out. It's too nice to stay in long. I'll come back with pics later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine