Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,606,675 times

Advertisements

Hey all, since this is a 60s-like winter (I was a gradeshooler in late 60s, I'm must say too, & thus huge yrs gone by, eh?) lol but suffice to say, it is great to have peace of mind/safety/comaraderie in Maine vs anywhere else -- yet. But w/ times-a-changin who knows what the future bodes but as of now, yes, it is still far better than anywhere else -- & AZ or the west which is equal to a dump & impoverished area -- unless you're super rich in Hollywood or San Fran, etc.

That it not us though, I'm afraid as well, but just happy to get by daily as yrs go by & age will catch us all if we're lucky, huh? Haha, ok I sound nuts tonight but it is my feelings & hope someone "echoes this sentiment" (using that annoying cliche'/phrase, haha).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:16 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
When Iraq did their raid on Kuwait because Kuwait was slant drilling under Iraq the Iraqis set the wells on fire before thy left. They blew the well heads. There were no valves to shut the well heads off.

The environmental industry went nuts. It was the CO2 apocalypse. An American company came to Kuwait and put the fires out. The enormous fires had no measurable effect on the environment outside the oil fields.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 PM

468 posts, read 758,183 times
This conversation is based on the fact that it's been very snowy and cold.......in New England and only eastern/northeastern New England at that. Most of the country has been above normal temperature-wise all winter. The West has seen very little snow and not much rain. We haven't seen many panicky weather stories from the Midwest, Plains, and Southeast because the weather has been warm and relatively dry. The only real winter story that comes to mind from elsewhere is the one-shot lake effect blizzard that visited Buffalo a few months back. Outside of that there has been nothing really.

So before we start going on about Warming or new ice ages, realize that because of the persistence of the jet stream and that while our little part of the US has experienced a powerful winter, most of the US has not had much of a winter at all.

I have friends in CA, OR, TN, PA, and TX and not one of them has reported even slightly difficult weather this winter. My Pittsburgh friend reports no snow at all really.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:48 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,769 times
Totally agree as hearing reports from our kids, grown married with kids, back in Virginia and NC- that are complaining about no snow this year- and mild temps. Shoot- even hit 50 something degrees there a few days ago. Very odd for sure.

Meanwhile- here comes another big storm for sunday of 8-12 inches sunday and another 3-5" sunday night. ..

Old 02-11-2015, 11:09 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,606,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Totally agree as hearing reports from our kids, grown married with kids, back in Virginia and NC- that are complaining about no snow this year- and mild temps. Shoot- even hit 50 something degrees there a few days ago. Very odd for sure.

Meanwhile- here comes another big storm for sunday of 8-12 inches sunday and another 3-5" sunday night. ..
Thus this is indicative of global warming then as the bulk of US basks in warmth, & w/out winters many plants/animals will be thrown off-season, & it'll mess up the environment ultimately. Hence, global warming (though I dispute it w/ folks) seems a reality as the earth in most of the country, at least, is too warm to call it much more than ultra-mild winter -- or perhaps early spring.

PS - Yet tell this warming effect to those of you paying huge heating costs this winter, & I'm sure a far different opinion of "warming" will be had, yes? Haha.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:58 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,769 times
uh... global warming my tush... - This planet has been in freeze to warm to freeze to warm for millions of years.. don't worry.. its all under control...

Last year in Virginia, it was wicked in cold but not much in snow. However- in 2010 we were bombed in snow - with an unheard of 4 big storms from dec to feb.
While we now live in Maine and would laugh at such seperations of storms, please keep in mind- this is a huge area- all business = jammed with people. The whole government basically lives in that part of virginia or md... Knocked us in solid for snow on the ground until the end of April.

Most scientists actually- as stated - state we are going back into an ice age. Recorded by the degree and depth of the polar vortex..

Last edited by maineborzoi; 02-12-2015 at 02:14 AM..

Old 02-12-2015, 04:42 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,057 times
Yes, I agree, cyclic. Cold winters, warm winters, cold winter..... Wife and I remember as children snow being piled up this high by bucket-loaders and plows. Even had a road grader in town that put a plow on. Nothing new under the sun.....

Last edited by DauntlessDan; 02-12-2015 at 05:09 AM..

Old 02-12-2015, 05:22 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
it is wonderful to know the main thoughts in the morning is just getting the dogs out.
If I may ask -- how many Borzoi do you have?

Up till 35 years ago, I was a show dog handler, all large breeds. I recall the first time I got to handle a Borzoi! What an elegant, quiet, non-excitable dog! He was like royalty...just magnificent! I showed a few more after that, and they were all similar. Must be breed type.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:29 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,444,984 times
Despite shoveling a LOT of snow so far, with more to come, I'm loving this winter. As long as I'm prepared for it, I like the cold and the snow. It's winter in Maine - it's *supposed* to be cold and snowy. And it's great for the local economy ... skiing, snowmobiling, etc.

Does this winter prove or disprove climate change? No. If we look at this winter in New England, we're looking at weather, not climate. Any rational discussion of climate change has to look at trends over many years and for the whole planet, not one season in one place.

Globally, 2005 was the hottest year on record since at least 1880 ... until 2010 broke that record ... and until 2014 broke *that* record. The 10 warmest years on record have all occurred since 1998.

Personally, I'm glad we moved to Maine in time for this "throw-back" winter reminiscent of the '60s.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:47 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
It seems as noreaster after another is occuring? Anyone say if this yr is worse? If so, is it global warming causing it? I'm a non-believer of warming, yet it seems as it is occuring alot, & so maybe I'm wrong here.
We have been in Maine for almost 9 years. This winter reminds me of our first winter in Maine, where we got a good snow around Thanksgiving, then it just kept snowing and snowing and snowing and snowing. We would get a major storm at least once a week.

This winter, the snow didn't even really show up till January, but when it did, it came with a vengeance.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine