Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:27 AM

793 posts, read 1,342,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
But has it happened in this short a period? Think about it that way ...
Yes...Those are the stats I'm curious about.

I actually enjoyed the first blizzard this year. Those are the types of storms I REMEMBER from long ago. But, we got one of two of those per winter, with breaks in between.

I don't REMEMBER ice storms, roofs caving in and ice dams. Not saying that these things didn't happen, I just don't remember them....Perhaps it was because I was a kid and didn't have adult responsibilities and just wasn't aware. I dunno.

BTW, The Bangor Daily online has a photo feature on winters gone by. Some good shots, but I like the title of the piece the best, "Uphill both Ways".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 03:00 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,918 times
Default Sled Use Rule

I judge the winters by "sled use" from my house, not trailering it. In the '08-'09 winter in Dover, I put 1400 miles on my snowmobile. In the winter or '09-'10, only 60 miles. Next year in '10-'11, even less. I wasn't back in Maine the next three winters but my brothers said that I would have probably put over a 1000 miles a season on it if I was back there then.

I do know one thing about my brief time in Maine the last few years is that you can not trust Maine weather. You are better off to put your money in lottery tickets than to try to figure out what kind of a snowy winter you might have. Bet on cold all you want as it is always sub freezing at night and sub zero on many occasions. That you can count on. But snow depth is out of my depth.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:53 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There is a significant shortage of wood pellets in Maine. Our local Aubuchon Hardware got a few pallets from a Connecticut company and they sold as fast as they could be unloaded. People should have a backup source of heat when it is this cold. I recently bought a propane radiant heater as a backup. It does not require electricity. The people who built my house heated with wood. There was no backup in those days. They just burned as much wood as they needed.
The problem here is that people expect to buy wood pellets like they can buy gas. They are quite plentiful in the early summer. If you heat with pellets then you buy your whole supply in the summer, just like you should have done for your wood. And if you need power to run it, then you get enough battery(I suggest two 56 volt golf cart batteries) power to fun for at least three days.

Since my woodstove has a blower I don't have to run it as hot, but its rated for a steady 700F in the exhaust pipe. With the blower, I run it at about 500-550 most of the time, when there are volatiles to burn.

Even if your wood dealer has wood, he may not be able to get to it when you have had 70+ inches of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine