Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:35 PM

74 posts, read 206,130 times

Advertisements

Which candidate will push for green economy investments? I think the future of Maine will be in alternative energy jobs and green standards. Could we possibly ever bring manufacturing back to Maine?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Great idea for a thread, Gritty.

How about setting it up in poll format??

Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i should pass on this thread i'll get doughnuts thrown at me,,,

we have dems and repub candidates on both sides,,,supposedly the best and brightest of both parties,,,we have a 9 trillion dollar national debt,,the u's government has sold its debt and soul to china,,,,we overspend, every dam day!! the congress is bunch of hog thieves,,,attaching frivolous pork to every bill they can,,,,
YET I DONT HEAR ONE CANDIDATE TALKING ABOUT ANY OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE DEMS ,,AS USUAL ARE BUYING MORE VOTES,,,GIVING AWAY MORE PROGRAMS WITH MONIES WE DONT HAVE, AND THEN WANT TO RAISE OUR TAXES TO PAY FOR ADDITIONAL DEBT!!

what happens when china,,wants to cash in thier debt??? do they put a lien on our assets????

the state and federal government,,spends and spends and spends..monies it doesnt have!!!!!!

yet we continously vote the same folks in power,,,,
Hah! You just want the donuts. Seriously though it really is a mess isn't it? The older I get the more the elections seem like the diet of the month club. We just keep chasing after the great panacea. If I just stop eating blah I'll be perfect and if I vote for whatzitsname world peace will happen. Sorry to be such a downer.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
GrittyMcDuffy -

I would consider these two concepts to be contradictory:

"Which candidate will push for green economy investments?"

"Could we possibly ever bring manufacturing back to Maine?"

What exactly is a Green Factory?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:13 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
I am voting for change.....John Mccain vs Clinton.........yaaaaaah that will really bring some change.

The current deficit is 9 trillion?? According to David Walker, Comptroller for the GAO who was on Glenn Beck, we are facing a 53 trillion shorfall with current committments in spending. Awsome...some 170k for every man women and child along with an additional 400k for every houshold. In short he said we are bankrupt.....\\

So true mainebrokerman......and a guy like Ron Paul was not even alowed to debate. Nobody wants change......they just want governement to do more for them.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:55 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I am voting for change.....John Mccain vs Clinton.........yaaaaaah that will really bring some change.

The current deficit is 9 trillion?? According to David Walker, Comptroller for the GAO who was on Glenn Beck, we are facing a 53 trillion shorfall with current committments in spending. Awsome...some 170k for every man women and child along with an additional 400k for every houshold. In short he said we are bankrupt.....\\

So true mainebrokerman......and a guy like Ron Paul was not even alowed to debate. Nobody wants change......they just want governement to do more for them.

At the last minute they allowed Ron Paul to participate in the New Hampshire debates!! Yippee!! He garnered 8% even without the mainstream media mentioning his name (around here anyway).

Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 AM

23 posts, read 39,054 times
Good morning everyone, when I saw these posts this morning my thoughts were of what use to be around here many years ago, I remember when I was young there were miles and miles of farm land around me that are now paved over by factories and housing developments. The economic development, although it does bring jobs it also starts a bad cycle of increasing population, sprawl, tax increases, crime, and polution. The very house I live in now was once in the middle of a very large farm 20 years ago and now I'd have to drive miles to find a farm larger then a couple or few acres in size. The worst part is that the cycle is still accelerating around here. In the last 5 years my property taxes have jumped $2,000 bucks, my house and both cars have been broken into, the high tide line on the delaware river looks like the top of a land fill and the Govoner plans on selling the roads now so the state dosn't go bankrupt. The craziest part of it all is that with all the problems we now face the people around here still vote for the same guys that did this to us, I just don't get it. Maine is a beautiful state that still hasn't gone far down this road. I don't see how you bring manufacturing jobs and avoid these pitfalls. Where the money goes the crooks are quick to follow.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:25 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.J.Prisoner View Post
Good morning everyone, when I saw these posts this morning my thoughts were of what use to be around here many years ago, I remember when I was young there were miles and miles of farm land around me that are now paved over by factories and housing developments. The economic development, although it does bring jobs it also starts a bad cycle of increasing population, sprawl, tax increases, crime, and polution. The very house I live in now was once in the middle of a very large farm 20 years ago and now I'd have to drive miles to find a farm larger then a couple or few acres in size. The worst part is that the cycle is still accelerating around here. In the last 5 years my property taxes have jumped $2,000 bucks, my house and both cars have been broken into, the high tide line on the delaware river looks like the top of a land fill and the Govoner plans on selling the roads now so the state dosn't go bankrupt. The craziest part of it all is that with all the problems we now face the people around here still vote for the same guys that did this to us, I just don't get it. Maine is a beautiful state that still hasn't gone far down this road. I don't see how you bring manufacturing jobs and avoid these pitfalls. Where the money goes the crooks are quick to follow.
Sounds like you are near where I used to live. It is sad to go back for visits and see the clutter.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
My house taxes here in Auburn have gone up $1000 in the last 2 years....I hate to see what it will be 3 years from now.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:24 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
... Nobody wants change......they just want governement to do more for them...
Yes down here, we see a regular cycle, we vote for the Democrats so the government will give us stuff, and then we vote for Republicans so we don't have to pay for it. Although, those distinctions have begun to blur over the past decade or so.

Quote:
... the governor plans on selling the roads now so the state doesn't go bankrupt. The craziest part of it all is that with all the problems we now face the people around here still vote for the same guys that did this to us, I just don't get it...
I don't get it either. Happens in both Maryland and Virginia every time. Now MD is trying to drink the koolaid of slot machines to pay for all the free, unfunded stuff a past administration gave away, because MD is going broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine