Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:47 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,035,431 times

Advertisements

You would think people with Maine license plates on their cars would be experts at driving in the snow, but unfortunately, that is far from the case.

There are two types of drivers who are absolutely horrid to share the road with during a snow-storm or its after-effects. Type 1: Too Timid. Type 2: Too cocky.

Anyone of you who has driven in winter conditions knows all about Type 2, in their four-wheel-drive trucks, thinking that makes them immune to the laws of physics, going way too fast for conditions and sliding all over the place.

But I want to rant about Type 1 drivers today. There is such a thing as being too timid in slippery conditions, as going too slowly can work against you just as much as going too quickly, especially in any area with steep hills.

There is this one hill on Route 137 in Knox, Maine. It's about a mile and a half long, and has two parts that are very steep. I understand being very cautious on the way down, but at least two or three times a winter, I inevitably meet up with the one person who still drives a two-wheel drive pickup truck, and not only does he drive a two wheel drive pickup truck, but he is absolutely unwilling to accelerate over 20 miles per hour.

Now this hill does have a passing lane, but not until you're already three-quarters of the way to the top, and the bottom quarter of it is quite steep itself. These overly-timid drivers cause a lot of bother for anyone unfortunate enough to get stuck behind them when they realize the obvious and come to a stop not even half-way to the top!

If you're that scared of snow, do the rest of us a favor and stay home. The rest of us seem to be able to manage 35 to 45 miles per hour on snow-covered roads just fine, especially with winter tires on the car, and that is usually enough of a run to ascend even the steepest of hills in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 04:03 PM

19,101 posts, read 25,291,417 times
Yup!
The school where I worked for 35 years was adjacent to a secondary road with a somewhat steep hill.
When I would leave work in the late afternoon and I stopped at the intersection with that secondary road, it was amazing how often I observed the exact same thing during the winter months.

What did I observe?
On more occasions than I can count accurately, a woman (always a woman) driving a RWD car would approach the hill VERY slowly, and then attempt to accelerate once she was on the incline.

The result (what we referred to as "the Monte Carlo in the ditch syndrome") was so commonplace that many of us learned to take a different exit from the school property when it was snowing. The probability of encountering the Monte Carlo in the ditch syndrome on that one road was so high that it was worthwhile to take a different, less-direct route to the highway.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:16 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,078,431 times
Couldn't agree more! Learn to drive in the snow and get winter tires. Nothing worse than someone holding up traffic in bad weather by getting stuck in something that's completely avoidable.

And there are also those people who still drive slow AFTER the roads are clear. Just because there's snow on the grass, doesn't mean you need to drive 15 mph below the speed limit.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:41 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,563,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
You would think people with Maine license plates on their cars would be experts at driving in the snow, but unfortunately, that is far from the case.

There are two types of drivers who are absolutely horrid to share the road with during a snow-storm or its after-effects. Type 1: Too Timid. Type 2: Too cocky.

Anyone of you who has driven in winter conditions knows all about Type 2, in their four-wheel-drive trucks, thinking that makes them immune to the laws of physics, going way too fast for conditions and sliding all over the place.

But I want to rant about Type 1 drivers today. There is such a thing as being too timid in slippery conditions, as going too slowly can work against you just as much as going too quickly, especially in any area with steep hills.

There is this one hill on Route 137 in Knox, Maine. It's about a mile and a half long, and has two parts that are very steep. I understand being very cautious on the way down, but at least two or three times a winter, I inevitably meet up with the one person who still drives a two-wheel drive pickup truck, and not only does he drive a two wheel drive pickup truck, but he is absolutely unwilling to accelerate over 20 miles per hour.

Now this hill does have a passing lane, but not until you're already three-quarters of the way to the top, and the bottom quarter of it is quite steep itself. These overly-timid drivers cause a lot of bother for anyone unfortunate enough to get stuck behind them when they realize the obvious and come to a stop not even half-way to the top!

If you're that scared of snow, do the rest of us a favor and stay home. The rest of us seem to be able to manage 35 to 45 miles per hour on snow-covered roads just fine, especially with winter tires on the car, and that is usually enough of a run to ascend even the steepest of hills in Maine.
Agreed, though many years ago there was a snowstorm when I was living in Fayetteville, AR that they did not handle well when plowing. I-540 (now renamed to I-49) was covered with strange chunks of ice stuck to the road and they handled like potholes. It would have been a bit much to go 35 most of the way.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:25 PM

642 posts, read 1,254,901 times
I wish people would.......(fill in the blank) 😜

Old 02-17-2015, 08:50 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,123,674 times
My biggest problem besides all of the above is herd instinct in humans. Now this may have worked great for protection from angry native Americans(and they often had a right to be angry) out west. But in snow, tailgating is not a safety ploy. It takes 4-10 times longer to stop on snow than on dry pavement.

I usually look at the characters driving their 3 season tires like maniacs and just wonder. I'm driving a Subaru with anti-lock brakes, traction control and AWD, and am on a set of four of the best rated Winter times. When I know that outside of a tracked vehicle I have more traction than 90% of the vehicles on the road, and they pass me and take off down the road at 55, I just have to wonder.

I think its a kind of IQ TEST.

Last edited by slyfox2; 02-17-2015 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 09:38 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,198,567 times
Well, I once saw a survey that claimed that the better driver you THINK you are, the worse you actually are.

But to the point in the OP, I wish that people that feel unsafe driving because of the roads wouldn't until they improve to where they feel comfortable. I see many people out that are obviously intimidated by snow covered roads, and I wonder if they REALLY have to be out.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,298,679 times
Ya' know... it' funny because just the other day we were remarking to each other just how well people in Maine drive in the snow. It is wonderful to see !

In Virginia, especially around Northern Va where we lived for quite some time, its all government wth people from all over the world. A long standing joke in Virginia at the sign of the first snow flake of " IT'S SNOWING!! QUICK- Get in the Ditches !" .

Hubby is from Minnesota, and I learned well for driving in the snow as well as a retired postal supervisor. One had to be in work- end of story. One thing in snow- take your time, but lack of follow-through can be just as dangerious as those going 'willy-nilly' down the road..

We have a cargo van- a 6000 pound plus beast, originally bought for the soul purpose of transporting our dogs. After seeing what happened with Hurricane Katrina, we wanted a vehicles that both of us, all the dogs, and any supplies could easily fit into. Having tall large dogs- the cargo van was the answer.
That said- it is not very good in the snow. Having extra weight over the rear wheels helps, but still.
We don't venture out in the snow much and another reason why we picked the place we did so as to have what we needed in walking distance.
Hubby use to have a very nice company 4x4 pick up truck until his retirement.
One day a second vehicle might be in order, but we do not see the reason now.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:02 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,298,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Well, I once saw a survey that claimed that the better driver you THINK you are, the worse you actually are.

But to the point in the OP, I wish that people that feel unsafe driving because of the roads wouldn't until they improve to where they feel comfortable. I see many people out that are obviously intimidated by snow covered roads, and I wonder if they REALLY have to be out.
Exactly!

Old 02-18-2015, 04:36 AM

885 posts, read 1,493,875 times
Just because they have Maine plates doesn't mean they are FROM Maine......lots of folks from "away" nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine