Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:45 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

For a Connecticut resident, it is cheaper to register their vehicles in Maine, and to pay Maine's Excise taxes, rather than to pay Connecticut property taxes on their vehicles.

‘You’re killing us down here': Why Maine license plates have Connecticut seeing red — State — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

When we moved to Maine, we came directly from Connecticut. In our experience, what we then paid in Maine was much less than how much we had been paying in Connecticut.

Also another thing that Ct does that hammered me is how they handle these property taxes. Each time that I was stationed in Ct, and registered a vehicle, they randomly select a township where I was to pay my property taxes. When transferring to a new Duty Station, I did not think to find that random town and notify them I was leaving their state. So as I lived in other states and over-seas, there was a tax bill in one small town, that was growing every year. A decade later when I returned to Ct. The DMV refused to register my new vehicle, saying that I had outstanding taxes to settle. It was a big deal trying to find what town they had assigned to tax me. When I located that random town, all of their old records had been destroyed, all that remained was the current record of the accumulated outstanding bill. They wanted 'proof' that I had sold that vehicle or the vehicle no longer existed, before they would agree to stop continuing to tax me for it. It was a huge annoyance for me, and ended being a large tax bill.

Servicemembers do not tend to realize that they can select a town to pay the taxes to, so at least a random town is not chosen that is at the other end of the state. Servicemembers do not know that before leaving Ct they need to find that town and prove to them your leaving their fair state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 08:44 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
A Connecticut resident landowner in rural Maine had a 4WD "woods truck". That's just an old truck that is reliable and somewhat unsightly where the owner is not worried about scratching it or the cracked windshield. He was worried about driving it back to Connecticut for inspection because it would not pass down there. I told him to just register it in Maine.

He said he was not a legal resident of Maine and could not vote here. No problem; he could register it. Not only that, he could register it as a farm vehicle for his tree farm and drive it in to town for fuel. I think the limit is 25 miles from the "farm". He was a very happy landowner because his excise tax in Maine was very low compared to CT. We understand "wood trucks" in Maine. They are not only an important part of our economy; they are an important part of our culture. No bumper? No problem.

There is a vehicle in Maine called a “jitterbug”. It is a 4WD pickup that has had the frame shortened a lot. There may or may not be a wooden box behind the cab for chain saws and essential gear. Sometimes even jitterbugs get registered in rural towns and if the owner doesn’t make too much of a nuisance of himself they are tolerated on public roads as long as the owner doesn’t drive it in to too big a town where it would offend the sensibilities of the police department. Most small towns in Maine don’t have police departments and in rural counties the sheriff’s deputies are understanding.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
... He was a very happy landowner because his excise tax in Maine was very low compared to CT.
I can understand that.

One time a Maine State Trooper pulled me over and chewed me out for having too much rust on my truck. To be honest the front bumper was held on by a rope so it may have bounced a bit while driving.

But he wanted to vent on me about how unsafe he felt the truck was, and I let him vent. I did point out the valid inspection sticker though.

I was hauling turkeys to a friend that day. The trooper asked me where I was going and what my farm business was. So I explained that I was hauling turkeys to a friend. He got upset over that too. He insisted that turkeys are not a farm business. [ I guessed that he really did not want me hauling potatoes in that old rusty truck]

Eventually he let me go.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:02 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
For a Connecticut resident, it is cheaper to register their vehicles in Maine, and to pay Maine's Excise taxes, rather than to pay Connecticut property taxes on their vehicles.

‘You’re killing us down here': Why Maine license plates have Connecticut seeing red — State — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

When we moved to Maine, we came directly from Connecticut. In our experience, what we then paid in Maine was much less than how much we had been paying in Connecticut.

Also another thing that Ct does that hammered me is how they handle these property taxes. Each time that I was stationed in Ct, and registered a vehicle, they randomly select a township where I was to pay my property taxes. When transferring to a new Duty Station, I did not think to find that random town and notify them I was leaving their state. So as I lived in other states and over-seas, there was a tax bill in one small town, that was growing every year. A decade later when I returned to Ct. The DMV refused to register my new vehicle, saying that I had outstanding taxes to settle. It was a big deal trying to find what town they had assigned to tax me. When I located that random town, all of their old records had been destroyed, all that remained was the current record of the accumulated outstanding bill. They wanted 'proof' that I had sold that vehicle or the vehicle no longer existed, before they would agree to stop continuing to tax me for it. It was a huge annoyance for me, and ended being a large tax bill.

Servicemembers do not tend to realize that they can select a town to pay the taxes to, so at least a random town is not chosen that is at the other end of the state. Servicemembers do not know that before leaving Ct they need to find that town and prove to them your leaving their fair state.
Both states are expensive to live in in their own ways, but I would say there are more shallow people in CT and CT is a nasty, nasty, state. I was born there and grew up there. I don't miss much from CT other than a few historical sites and the pizza.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:39 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Both states are expensive to live in in their own ways, but I would say there are more shallow people in CT and CT is a nasty, nasty, state. I was born there and grew up there. I don't miss much from CT other than a few historical sites and the pizza.

You are right about CT! We lived next door, in RI, but often had business trucks in that state.

Sub, if you wish to get off the "grand list" in CT for Oct 1st of that year, all you need to do is mail back the license plates to CT DMV, and the state will notify the town where you supposedly had the vehicle "garaged", to remove that vehicle from their tax rolls (grand list). My company did this more than once, over the years.

Our experience with registering vehicles in Maine was, if the vehicle was in the state for 6 months or more, it should be registered in Maine (this is generally true for most states). My BIL was stopped in 2013 when we were building the house, and told as much. He switched his registration to Maine that fall, and I did the following spring. The excise tax IS less than property taxes!

I was surprised to find that Maine inspection is just general safety, not emissions. Out trucks had a helluva time with CT inspections: theirs are emissions ONLY, and they don't so much as look cross-eyed at a windshield wiper or a headlight. You go figure!

Old 02-23-2015, 06:24 PM

468 posts, read 758,251 times
Quote:
I have read enough things about Connecticut of years past to give me the idea that once upon a time it was a nice, rural place to live in.

But then highways got better and better and a good chunk of CT became suburbia and exurbia for NYC and then corporate offices themselves started moving into CT and by the late 1960s it was all over.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrams View Post
I have read enough things about Connecticut of years past to give me the idea that once upon a time it was a nice, rural place to live in.

But then highways got better and better and a good chunk of CT became suburbia and exurbia for NYC and then corporate offices themselves started moving into CT and by the late 1960s it was all over.
I remember fields of tobacco...my family and I would take a road trip to New York City and there were farms. Problem with CT is it's one giant city, there's Boston, Providence, Hartford, New Haven, New York City, Springfield Ma all in a small radius. Very busy too busy for me.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:39 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Problem with CT is it's one giant city, there's Boston, Providence, Hartford, New Haven, New York City, Springfield Ma all in a small radius. Very busy too busy for me.
Agreed - we lived in RI all of our lives, and the traffic, crowds, noise and congestion in general just got to be too much. Running a business in the tri-state area (CT-RI-MA) and having to be on the road all the time was very frustrating. As soon as I retired, I headed up to a remote part of Maine!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Agreed - we lived in RI all of our lives, and the traffic, crowds, noise and congestion in general just got to be too much. Running a business in the tri-state area (CT-RI-MA) and having to be on the road all the time was very frustrating. As soon as I retired, I headed up to a remote part of Maine!
You are wise. I would rather struggle here, than in Southern New England.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I have lived many places.

I am from the West Coast. Though due to my career, I was in Ct a bunch of times. Some of those were fairly short duration [6 weeks] and some were as long as 4 years. I followed a kind of routine like, living in Ct and then Va; then Ct and then Ca; then Ct and then Fl and then Ga; then Ct and then Scotland, .... So I had many chances to compare other places directly to Ct.

It is generally fast paced, higher cost and higher crime, as compared to most of the other places where I have lived.

My Dw was born in Ct and she grew-up there also. She prefers Maine over Ct.

For pizza we both prefer pizza served in Napoli Italia, where we lived for 3 years. There are many pizza ovens in Italy that have been in continuous use for over 3 centuries. They have a lot of history in their pizza. If you ever have the chance to visit Italy, you might enjoy it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: