Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 10:34 PM

12 posts, read 15,457 times

Advertisements

I was hoping to get some helpful advise on locations to camp. I want to take a week off from New York in April and drive up to Maine with my girlfriend. We are experienced campers and want to be in the wilderness and away from large crowds or even small crowds. I only now started my research and I have never visited Maine but we will consider all regions but prefer something with higher elevations to take in the views. Hiking, Biking, fishing would be activities that we would like to do. I would be bringing gear and bikes, so no need for rentals. I see that there are national parks along the coast but they seem to only have camping available in the Summer.

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 04:37 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
You should take a look at the snow map before you plan on April. We've had record breaking snow and cold temperatures this year, and the snow has more water than usual. I suggest Baxter State Park but it won't be open in April.

snow

Old 02-27-2015, 06:56 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
Maine Writer is right. Here is a link to state parks.

State Parks and Public Lands : Maine ACF

Old 02-27-2015, 11:25 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Your bicycles may have limited usefulness off pavement. Depending on where you are, April could be "mud time". No matter what time of year you want to bicycle in Maine I recommend a mountain bike. Those thin racing bike tires are very sensitive to sharp rocks and have virtually no flotation on soft ground.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:57 PM

404 posts, read 777,637 times
As others have said Late april would be better for warmth, but yes spring in maine is mud season. Ice out on many of the lakes last year was April 29th. You can probably get a good deal on a camp in april and may. try the rangely lakes area. I think your going to have a hard time finding a campground open....I think these start opening around may 15ish. But consider a rustic cabin...it might be more comfortable as it will still be pretty cold at night.
Rangeley Vacation Rentals in Rangeley Maine ~ Rangeley Lakes Vacation Rentals
has a few right on the lake. off season will make it possibly reasonable price wise and the cabins are rustic enough to make it still feel like camping.
This will give you a good idea, go to this facebook site scroll down to april it will give you an idea of the area in april https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hunte...9354225?v=wall

Old 02-28-2015, 06:47 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,825 times
Postpone till May. You will still have mud and blackflies but most of the white stuff should be gone. As far as where to go throw a dart its all good.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:07 AM

80 posts, read 122,534 times
Agree with the other posters that unless you want to experience mud camping (or possibly winter camping depending on how things go here) then might want to push that date back a bit. Especially since Baxter State Park does sound like it would fit the bill. If you do push back the date considerably then the water temps will also go up and if you bring along a canoe or kayaks then you'll have even more places to explore.

One other place I would recommend (although not wilderness like up Baxter way) would be Mt. Blue State Park. Perhaps a night there or a side trip stop on the way to or from up north. It's less crowded then some of the other state parks (probably since it's away from the coast). One of my favorites when only have time for a short trip.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 15,457 times
Thank you all for the feedback. Your suggestions including a later visit date for ideal conditions is great advice and will be highly considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: