Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:38 PM

175 posts, read 418,552 times

Advertisements

1) Current City and State = Naples Florida

2) Why do you want to leave = This area has grown way too much for me, too many people, high cost of living, but mostly I have lived here all my life and am ready for a change.

3) Where In Maine and Why = The Augusta Area, have family there.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Virginia, cause my son lives there, or else Alaska

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Am in the planning stages now, have to handle several big projects first, but am heading that way in end of May, first of June.

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = Looking foward to my new adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM

380 posts, read 1,173,658 times
Molly & Maine Writer, thanks for the encouragement! My background includes bookkeeping, admin/executive assistant, retail, and home renovation/landscaping. I'm not too particular about the field if it means that I get to live where I want to live, stay out of debt (or have minimal debt other than house payment), and try to put a little away for the future (for when I'm old and decrepit!). Having been self-employed for the past few years, I am used to the spoils of a flexible schedule and no boss. However, I also don't have much savings or health insurance. The move in itself would be such an adventure, that I would be more than open to taking a position in Maine that I wouldn't consider if I stayed here. I suppose my largest obstacle is the same as most who want to relocate: to find a job first in order to get approved for a mortgage. Looks like I'll have to rent for a while - difficult to do with two dogs.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 PM

Default Food industry growing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Pay close attention to what Molly said. The myth that there are no jobs in Washington county needs to end.

The call center is coming, the industrial circle in Woodland is growing, the local food industry is growing (good pun, huh?). To say there are no jobs shows a lack of true knowledge.
Hey there all you Mainers, what's this about the local food industry growing? Can you find good, fresh, organic produce and other natural foods pretty easily in Washington County? I don't shop at Wal-mart (not to get all political here), but that source is out. Also, can one grow a good variety of veggies in Maine's short growing season?

Old 01-13-2008, 02:55 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,957,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
Hey there all you Mainers, what's this about the local food industry growing? Can you find good, fresh, organic produce and other natural foods pretty easily in Washington County? I don't shop at Wal-mart (not to get all political here), but that source is out. Also, can one grow a good variety of veggies in Maine's short growing season?

Of course you can. There are farmer's stands all up and down Washington County. Every town has at least one a week, usually at the town building, grocery store or other convenient place. Maine's growing season may be shorter than growing in the South, but there's still plenty of fresh produce all summer and most of the fall.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:37 PM

440 posts, read 1,686,774 times
1) Current City and State =Athens, Georgia

2) Why do you want to leave =The hot weather, the scenery, the allergies,the way alot of people take poor and horrible care of their pets.

3) Where In Maine and Why =Washington County.. Because it is beautiful and affordable

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States =Vermont,Ma.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving =The weather up north

6) Anything else you want to tell us? =n/a

Old 01-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Of course you can. There are farmer's stands all up and down Washington County. Every town has at least one a week, usually at the town building, grocery store or other convenient place. Maine's growing season may be shorter than growing in the South, but there's still plenty of fresh produce all summer and most of the fall.
Hooray! Easy access to fresh produce! Hey Corgis - strange question, but do fresh Maine potatoes taste very different from the Idaho's that we get down here? I'm a huge fan of any potato (except for the green ones).

Old 01-13-2008, 09:22 PM

[quote=gussie;2502766]1) Current City and State =Athens, Georgia

2) Why do you want to leave =The hot weather, the scenery, the allergies,the way alot of people take poor and horrible care of their pets.

3) Where In Maine and Why =Washington County.. Because it is beautiful and affordable

You said it Gussie! Although, the scenery where I live (Chattanooga) is too pretty to complain about. My allergies can't possibly worse in Maine than they are in the south.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,359,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Eh, I borrowed this from the Colorado forum. Thought that it would be interesting here as well...

1) Current City and State =

2) Why do you want to leave =

3) Where In Maine and Why =

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States =

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving =

6) Anything else you want to tell us? =
1) Bone Cave, TN. Yep, that's really the name!! LOL!!

2) We are looking for a summer home on the water. Our primary res would still be TN.

3) Looking in Eastport. It seems like it's still pretty remote and I miss the salt air and sea gulls. I was raised on an island off the coast of Florida. I think the salt air is something that is part of you. Once you've been infected, there's no escape.

4) There is no other option for us. Maine it is. We've already picked out floor plans for building the house and mapped our route and decided on the hotels we'll stay at on our way up and back each year.

5) Hubby's inheritance. Or lack thereof. His parents have it all invested and he doesn't get it until they've passed away. Talk about a terrible situation. To have the lifestyle we want we lose them.

6) Keep a seat warm for us!! In lieu of moving this minute we plan on visiting a couple times a year. Motel East, here we come!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:22 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,359,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpurvis View Post
1) Current City and State = Naples Florida

2) Why do you want to leave = This area has grown way too much for me, too many people, high cost of living, but mostly I have lived here all my life and am ready for a change.

3) Where In Maine and Why = The Augusta Area, have family there.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Virginia, cause my son lives there, or else Alaska

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Am in the planning stages now, have to handle several big projects first, but am heading that way in end of May, first of June.

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = Looking foward to my new adventure.

No way!! I was born and raised on Marco Island and went to school in Naples from middle school to high school. We were living in the Estates when we moved to TN in May '06. What a small world!!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:47 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,852,916 times
1) Current City and State = Appleton, WI

2) Why do you want to leave = See #1, self-explanatory

3) Where In Maine and Why = Somewhere between Belfast & Bangor

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = none

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = finish remodeling this house, get it sold, and we'll be on our way

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = I want to be there NOW!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine