Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:40 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times

Advertisements

Alice I wish I could rep you a thousand times for that post!! wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Yeah, I could only rep once too, but BOY was it worth the effort!! Wonderful post!!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Default tax burden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Maine
The Facts on Maine’s Tax Climate

Here are some basic facts on Maine’s tax system and how it compares to other states:

Maine's State/Local Tax Burden Second Highest in Nation

During the past three decades Maine has consistently had one of the highest state and local tax burdens. Estimated at 14.0% of income, Maine's state/local tax burden is 2nd highest in the nation, and remains well above the national average of 11.0%. Maine taxpayers pay $5,045 per-capita in state and local taxes, and per capita state income is $36,117.
For this to apply to anyone, first you must assume that everyone in Maine earns the 'average median' income of $36k [which none of us do].

Then you must assume that we all pay equal amounts of taxes [which none of us do].

I have no doubt that someone somewhere is paying high taxes. However anyone who is paying high taxes is doing it to themselves. If living in neighborhood 'A' is going to cost you higher taxes than living in neighborhood 'B'; who made the decision to live there? I did not choose it for you. Neither did the government. Each of us individual adults must take responsibility for our own actions. We each individually are responsible for where we have chosen to live. If you live in an extremely high taxed neighborhood, you are the responsible decision maker, it was your choice.

I do not earn $36k, nor do I pay $5k in Maine taxes.

My total Maine tax bill is much lower than $5k per annum. [now I do pay close to that amount for my Ct property]

And I do not pay 14% of my income to taxes. I simply do not.

So any statement that says 'Maine taxpayers pay" is patently false. I am a Mainer and I do not pay 14% of my income to taxes.

Perhaps this is a 'Volvo-line' issue.

I have friends who live in Washington state who are paying $1500 each month just in property taxes for their home [$18k per annum].

I have relatives in Maryland who pay a tad over $11k a year for their home's property taxes.

There are many places in America with significantly higher property taxes then here.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
For this to apply to anyone, first you must assume that everyone in Maine earns the 'average median' income of $36k [which none of us do].

Then you must assume that we all pay equal amounts of taxes [which none of us do].

I have no doubt that someone somewhere is paying high taxes. However anyone who is paying high taxes is doing it to themselves. If living in neighborhood 'A' is going to cost you higher taxes than living in neighborhood 'B'; who made the decision to live there? I did not choose it for you. Neither did the government. Each of us individual adults must take responsibility for our own actions. We each individually are responsible for where we have chosen to live. If you live in an extremely high taxed neighborhood, you are the responsible decision maker, it was your choice.

I do not earn $36k, nor do I pay $5k in Maine taxes.

My total Maine tax bill is much lower than $5k per annum. [now I do pay close to that amount for my Ct property]

And I do not pay 14% of my income to taxes. I simply do not.

So any statement that says 'Maine taxpayers pay" is patently false. I am a Mainer and I do not pay 14% of my income to taxes.

Perhaps this is a 'Volvo-line' issue.

I have friends who live in Washington state who are paying $1500 each month just in property taxes for their home [$18k per annum].

I have relatives in Maryland who pay a tad over $11k a year for their home's property taxes.

There are many places in America with significantly higher property taxes then here.
I think the point being made is If the average monies extracted from the citizens of Maine is 5k then we all know that some are paying much less and some are paying much more. We are all well aware of the opportunities that exist to avoid paying high taxes. I have said though that I believe the majority of people inquiring to move to Maine and moving to Maine are not willing to or are incapable of making the necessary sacrifices to take advantage of living in a low taxed area of Maine. IE. an unorganized town, northern Maine, and just places where there is less opportunities for employment. ect. (And I do not mean "no one" is willing to do this so I do not need to hear from everyone that is moving to northern Maine) I mean that the majority of people coming to Maine want to move where there is strong employment, good schools, and a large community with neighborhoods. And I do believe all statistics of migration would support this too. And to have this in Maine you are more than likely going to be paying high taxes.

So to give the impression that Maine does not have a tax problem is doing a real disservice to those who are really inquiring about Maine. And I believe it is also perpetuating the problem with Maine's high tax burden. Tell them the truth and explain to them the whole situation. help them understand so that they can make an honest choice about moving here.

The Volvo line comment is really and ignorant comment coming from someone who I have come to view as intelligent. I would be curious to see what would really happen to northern Maine if we really drew a line and separated the state. How would your taxes be then!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I don't believe the volvo line comment was meant to be rude at all. It's not a secret that geneally speaking southern Mainers pay more in taxes than those of us in the northern part of the state. I know that Forest doesn't need me to speak for him, and I'm not trying to do that at all. But Fly that's not at all how I interpreted that.

You said "tell them the truth", we ARE. It's not the same through the entire state. THAT'S the TRUTH. It's nearly impossible to making sweeping generalizations and have them apply to everyone! Petertherock's statements don't apply to me and my family. They don't apply to Forest either. I'd venture to guess that they don't apply to many of us. "Averages" sometimes don't--neither do generalizations.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:50 AM

I did not intend to insult anyone.

I do see a real difference in these two Maines.

The cost of living is different, the tax base is different, and the standard of living is different.

I am on two different BBS' focused on Maine living, and it seems to me that most Mainers readily recognise that these two separate areas exist.

South Portland mayor spurs talk of secession from Maine - The Boston Globe

Quote:
SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine - The speech began just as everyone expected: The new mayor thanked his fellow City Council members and the outgoing mayor for their hard work. He welcomed a new council member and promised to work hard himself.
more stories like this

Then, six pages into his inaugural address, the mayor went out on a limb, urging southern Maine to consider seceding and becoming its own state.

"Now, before I'm labeled a wacko or crazed lunatic, I have already been in contact with officials from Freeport, Portland, Westbrook, Cape Elizabeth, and Scarborough, and no one has called 911 to have me examined," Mayor James Soule of South Portland told his startled audience.

The proposal, made earlier this month in Soule's first speech as mayor, has renewed statewide debate about the gap between southern and northern Maine, which some say is growing. Elected mayor by his fellow City Council members, Soule says he intended to spur discussion and focus attention on the state's school funding formula, which he called broken. He says his talk about secession was not a joke or a shock tactic, but a way to let state leaders know that the option could be on the table if they fail to change the way school funding is distributed.

"I don't want to waste time throwing out something I don't feel sincerely could happen," Soule said in an interview. "I am stating what's been stated over coffee tables for years and what could be an inevitable conclusion if the Legislature continues to do nothing."

Researchers and residents have long talked about "the two Maines": the region around Portland, with its stable economy, growing population and increasingly urban concerns, and the rural, sparsely populated rest of the state, from the depressed Down East coast to the western mountains and the far northern reaches of Aroostook County. Their differences have bred resentment on both ends and charges of bias in the Legislature from both sides.

The state is not alone in its division - Western and Eastern Massachusetts have also felt disconnected - but tensions in Maine have heightened in the past year, as Mainers have debated a statewide school consolidation plan that many believe could put rural schools at risk. Northerners have also taken umbrage at southern Maine residents who have come out in opposition to a plan to develop rural Moosehead Lake, which many locals see as a key to their economic future.

The underlying problem, said Soule and other officials, is that southern Maine produces vastly more tax revenue for the state than it gets back in local aid.

South Portland, home to The Maine Mall and a massive manufacturing facility for National Semiconductor, generates $45 million in taxes, but receives state aid of just $4 million toward its $40 million school budget, Soule said. As a result, he said, a heavy burden hits homeowners, who pay more property taxes, though their incomes are not much higher than the state median.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:22 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I don't believe the volvo line comment was meant to be rude at all. It's not a secret that geneally speaking southern Mainers pay more in taxes than those of us in the northern part of the state. I know that Forest doesn't need me to speak for him, and I'm not trying to do that at all. But Fly that's not at all how I interpreted that.

You said "tell them the truth", we ARE. It's not the same through the entire state. THAT'S the TRUTH. It's nearly impossible to making sweeping generalizations and have them apply to everyone! Petertherock's statements don't apply to me and my family. They don't apply to Forest either. I'd venture to guess that they don't apply to many of us. "Averages" sometimes don't--neither do generalizations.
I agree and thought Forest stated it quite well, as usual. I got it!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:55 AM

134 posts, read 514,678 times
Well I drive a 2007 Volvo XC90 and I didn't take Forest's comment as derogatory. OK maybe if I had only been here for a week LOL as my first week I was thinking OMG after reading the Volvo line comment but over time I have realized what it meant and am fine with it. Forest is correct in his observation though.. very correct. I have already been out to the Maine Govt web site to see what my excise tax will be when I move back. I have decided on the town to live when I move back based on school, ammenitiies and mil rate. I am not bragging so please don't take it that way... but I make an extremely good salary that is close to tax free as a Dept Of Defense contractor here in Germany BUUUUUT I have stayed here as a means to an end (to niche money away for our house). We are moving back to Maine in 2009 and we fully expect our salaries to be cut by 50% or more. That is ok with us as Forest said, we have done our home work and are prepared. If I think that our property tax will be too high we will find a town that we like with a lower mil rate, if we think excise tax is going to be too high then we will sell the vehicles before we leave and purchase something less expensive... we control that. Nothing in life (or very little) is free so keeping the roads plowed, pot holes filled, police and fire dept employed etc etc .... it all cost money and everywhere USA is going to get their money somehow. Sure you may not pay state tax in one state but you are going to make up for it in property tax or somewhere else. They are going to get their money somehow. There are different levels of tax and incomes everywhere you go. The best thing you can do if you feel you are getting hit too hard is to find out what is costing you so much in taxes and try to resolve it. OK I am going to get off my soap box now.... sorry if I rambled on. Flying back to Maine in two weeks and am so ready to enjoy the snow and hopefully purchase land.... yup already know what the mil rate is and what the property tax is on the raw land.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:03 PM

ExAirForce -

May I suggest that you stick to land that is in 'Treegrowth'.

And keep it in 'Treegrowth'.

One mistake that I made, was in taking too much land out of Treegrowth. In hindsight I see that I could have done it without taking any land out of Treegrowth, and that would have had a better end result.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:57 PM

259 posts, read 1,323,743 times
Well, as an "uninitiated one", I was glad this dichotomy was resurrected here so that I can now better understand things in "Maine".

If there are serious politicians talking about secession, I'm wondering if there ought to be two Maine forums........or one called "Portland and a ten mile radius therefrom" and one called "the rest of Maine".........????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine