Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 03:02 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
I meant Maine North Woods general area. I'd guess the phone lines would be available in many places, but not necessarily the DSL. Are any parts known for having or not having DSL service, or are there any known providers that cover large areas in that part of Maine one can check with?
If you mean this North Maine Woods, 99.9% has no commercial power, land POTS lines, or cell service.

http://www.northmainewoods.org/images/pdf/map.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:16 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
When driving through the North Maine Woods you will occasionally see a small plywood sign with a stenciled blue outline of a telephone hand set on it. That is an indicator that you "might" be able to get a cell phone signal - if it isn't raining or snowing. There used to be one in the Haynesville Woods, but tourists kept taking it.

Tombstone Every Mile lyrics chords | Dick Curless

"It's a stretch of road up north in Maine
That's never ever ever seen a smile
If they'd buried all the truckers lost in them woods
There'd be a tombstone every mile
Count 'em off there'd be a tomb-stone every mile."

Bring a lunch, just in case.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:27 PM

527 posts, read 422,559 times
My experience with staying in remote locations is one of Sierra Nevada and Southwestern OR... Some places that are off the grid have OK DSL, because there's a phone line. Cellpone service is not essential to me, I just need DSL (not dial-up speeds, though)... I'm used to having no or spotty cell service, even "in town". If I don't find a proprety remote enough with DSL, I'll have to stay closer to "town" for the time being or might just have to get very expensive kind of Satellite service that will support VPN. Thanks for the heads up on this.

I'm guessing there'll be an improvement in this aspect of instrastructure, eventually, and these fiber cables will be tapped in, might just take few years.

Last edited by opossum1; 04-05-2015 at 08:09 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 09:03 AM

337 posts, read 429,763 times
Maine North Woods doesn't even serve cell phones never mind the 'net. You have to have a satellite phone to have communications in the middle of the Great North Woods. Been there, done that!

Rome

Old 04-06-2015, 03:37 PM

527 posts, read 422,559 times
Sounds like a great place to be, I grew up without any of this, including landline...

Last edited by opossum1; 04-06-2015 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 04:38 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,527 times
We have Time Warner cable for internet/tv and phone but cell phones do not work here.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:44 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
My Verizon iPhone works in Princeton. It even works at Grand Lake Stream. My text feature says "Welcome to Rogers CanTel". Just ignore it and don't text. You won't be billed from Canada for received messages on our side of the brook.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
My Verizon iPhone works in Princeton. It even works at Grand Lake Stream. My text feature says "Welcome to Rogers CanTel". Just ignore it and don't text. You won't be billed from Canada for received messages on our side of the brook.
That was our concern as well. Many of the locals said to watch when you use your phone - even down at the post office where there is cell service. One could easily end up with 'roaming fees' for unknowingly using a Canada tower...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: