Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 05:31 PM

341 posts, read 672,631 times

Advertisements

Sounds awesome.....would love to learn how to make it. I thought that there was something to do with the temperature and other environmental factors that made San Francisco the ideal place for this......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway to maine View Post
Yes, we would be getting out next year, at 8 years in. It's still a HUGE decision we have yet to nail down. What drew me to this particular thread is that it is about California vs. Maine. We also have one extra player in our decision game, and that it's that his dad is also a dentist about to retire in Northern California. We need to decide what the best fit would be....staying in to service the military working toward the pension (dealing with military family life), moving into his dad's practice in Northern California (blah), or helping Maine with this giant dental shortage y'all have going on. We would be more interested in servicing the places in need of a dentist, so moving to areas with good schools around Bangor would be ideal.

My mom is not thrilled about the idea of us moving to Maine, she has been a sour puss ever since we told her about it. She now lives in nor cal, working at his dad's practice as a hygienist..she thinks moving to Maine is crazy, but we are excited about the idea. So stressful being an adult with kids and trying to make huge life decisions.
To most native-born Californians, the U.S. consists of California, Oregon, Washington State, Reno, Las Vegas, maybe Arizona, Texas, Florida, DC, Denver, Chicago, NYC, and Boston. To a Californian nothing else exists and if they do acknowledge its existence than it is nothing worthwhile. I am pretty sure the phrase "fly-over country" was coined by a Californian.

When I first left California it was to Kansas. I had full intention of leaving California for good but ended up coming back a year later for romantic purposes (to be young and in love). No one really questioned why I was moving let alone why I was moving to Kansas as the general attitude was that I would be back like everyone else that attempts to move away. Then a few years later I moved to Minnesota. I did get a few "why's" but the general consensus was the same: that I would be back. Well, I do go back to visit a few times a year and have ever since I moved away but it has been close to 17 years now and I have yet to move back. Nowadays I am used as the example against the "...always move back" rule.

Sometimes I do think about moving back but California is not the same place as it was when I left--for the better and for the worst. It's just a different place. However, I don't hate California and it does have many good qualities about it.

I try to encourage as many people to move out of California as possible, if for anything just temporarily. I believe that it would provide a new perspective to counter the California-centrists attitudes that seem to prevail (I mean, to a Californian the West Coast begins and ends with the State of California). Then again, California, like Texas, can be their own countries.

Personally, I'd say to go for Maine. Then again I am one of the few native-born Californians who have/had the desire to leave. I just didn't want to be one of those people who stayed their entire lives.

Quote:
Also, these winters in Maine....how do they compare to Illinois winters? I was born raised and went to college in central Illinois where I swear it would rain ice cubes with wind pelting them at your face. Is it a wet cold or a dry cold?! There is a huge difference between the two.
The Maine winter varies drastically by location. Portland, for example, will get more snow than Central Illinois but nowhere near as cold. The farther inland you go the colder and snowier it gets. So, if anything I would say to expect twice as much snow with the cold temps being at least relatively the same.

The winters along the coast will also be shorter than the winters farther north and/or east... ...but only by a few weeks.

Also, I don't think there is anywhere in Maine that gets even remotely as humid as Illinois.

Quote:

I don't care if people look at us shifty eyed because we aren't "native". We had 2 babies stationed in Japan....we couldn't walk into a crowded mall unnoticed. Everything we did was stared at in rural Japan. Every restaurant everywhere. We are happy in our skin and no matter where we go we make friends, even Japan Not being "from Maine" is a non issue, we are all Americans aren't we!? All living under the same amazing freedoms. I'm just looking forward to living the way America should be....mom and pop shops and friendly people living in a natural environment. I want my kids to know how exciting it is to see tulips in the spring, and how FUN it is to wake up to a big fluffy white blanket outside the changing seasons bring so much joy!!!
The longer you stay the less people will look at you funny. It seems that you have to put in a solid year in order to just prove your seriousness of living in Maine and then at least another year to prove that the first year was not a fluke. I think Mainers are more tired of those from away moving to Maine with the idyllic notion that Maine is awesome only to see them move a year later because Maine sucks. I'm sure it gets old after awhile.

"Arn't we all Americans?" Eh, not quite. Mainers, like Californians and Texans, tend to think of themselves as Mainers first, second, and last. Most would like to not only see the State split into two but there is also a handful for the Northern half to secede from the U.S. completely. Maine is also very provincial. You can have seven generations buried in Town A yet you were born in Town B. No one in Town B will have you believe that you are actually "from" there. Most are nice and friendly, though, and will definitely lend a hand when needed without expecting anything in return.

The ma and pa shops are prevalent in Maine, which is a great thing in my opinion. Portland has banned chain stores from the city and the chains that you see there were all ready established before the ban went into place. There is also a lack of billboards, which is awesome, too.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:35 PM

I love the fact that there are Mom and Pop stores in Maine....still in MA too.....yes, rare in CA. Why would people compare CA to Maine...hum. I do know that living in CA as an Eastcoaster has been isolating for me.....everywhere you go, regions or states or areas..people speak in a way that represents that area......I can no longer speak of areas of Massachusetts...towns etc....people do not even know what I am talking about (here in CA)....you have to "become" of the area you are in........I always feel very happy whenever I go back to MA.......like I am home. CA never felt like home.....I am overwhelmed in SoCl,,,,,,,,
However, going to have to move heaven and earth to get out of CA........but am happy that I will be able to purchase home in ME...which seems to be exactly what I am looking for.....due to the fact that years ago was planning on leaving MA and moving to New Hampshire.....

Old 05-12-2015, 09:45 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
My daughter moved to SAn FRan for 4 years. She never became a west coast girl, and finally convinced her husband(who was from NH) to move back EAST. The settled happily again in Holyoke, MA.

While he adapted to West Coast Living, she could not, and never recovered from the culture shock.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
My daughter moved to SAn FRan for 4 years. She never became a west coast girl, and finally convinced her husband(who was from NH) to move back EAST. The settled happily again in Holyoke, MA.

While he adapted to West Coast Living, she could not, and never recovered from the culture shock.
I hope she is happy now......and ya know everyone is different.....if you are in the wrong place, it can lead to severe depression...

Old 05-14-2015, 02:07 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
I hope she is happy now......and ya know everyone is different.....if you are in the wrong place, it can lead to severe depression...
After our move here, I quickly found out just how rejuvenated I felt here in Maine. It has been been steadly increasing with each a new adventure, a new feeling of more 'liberty', with more independance than in Virginia. Case in point- today I waxed our van... odd to feel great doing that, but totally feeling the joy of the fabulous weather.

Loving the night fishing with the White perch also. Everything is so much more relaxing and even house chores have more a purpose.
I love Maine ! ( have I mentioned that in my posts?? )

Old 05-21-2015, 09:41 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
After our move here..... have I mentioned that in my posts?? )

I believe you might have done so on an occasion or two, but it never hurts to say it again.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:15 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
I think a few of us have migrated to Maine

Old 06-05-2015, 11:15 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,659,591 times
I find many of the posts by the OP in this thread to be extremely negative on CA and overly idealistic when it comes to Maine. Having lived in neither state I can't really comment on pros and cons but why does he have to dump on CA to justify his move to Maine? I've been to Maine on vacation dozens of times over the past 25 years and love the state and would consider moving there after I retire but even if I did I wouldn't bash my home state. It seems unseemly to attack a state with 40 million residents as if they were a monolithic entity rather than 40 million individuals.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I find many of the posts by the OP in this thread to be extremely negative on CA and overly idealistic when it comes to Maine. Having lived in neither state I can't really comment on pros and cons but why does he have to dump on CA to justify his move to Maine? I've been to Maine on vacation dozens of times over the past 25 years and love the state and would consider moving there after I retire but even if I did I wouldn't bash my home state. It seems unseemly to attack a state with 40 million residents as if they were a monolithic entity rather than 40 million individuals.
I am sure the OP will be along in a bit to respond directly.

California is a large group of individuals, though they do form a group. As a group they have evolved a lot in the past 40 years [during my observation]. Individuals within a group can not see how the group changes from year to year, as much as for people who move away and come back.

I moved away from California and moved back many times. Granted every time that I adapted to a new culture, I grew and changed also. Ex-Californians do tend to speak of the California mindset as if all native Californians thought the same way [when only a majority of them do].

I am not sure how much of it is really 'dumping' on California. It is what it is. California is more expensive, and does have tighter government controls / restrictions. Mainers do tend to be friendly as compared to Californians.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine