Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 03:30 PM

155 posts, read 196,130 times

Advertisements

Well the tourist parts of Maine tend to be a little too expensive for locals to spend much time around anyway, so you just kind of avoid it naturally for the most part. I wish I could find it; I had a picture from just a couple years ago when I lived in Old Orchard Beach of Old Orchard Street (the street with all the shops that leads right to the beach and the Pier) in July (people shoulder to shoulder all the way down the street) and then one from the exact same angle that November (not a single person and it looked like the apocalypse had happened), it's pretty telling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 04:25 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westeasterly View Post
how do you keep an even keel when summer crowds arrive, especially in the coastal areas?
Do you just run your errands early in the day?
do you just enjoy your garden and look forward to the end of the season?
Yes, do things in early morning or late evening. Avoid areas of disgust.

Yes. Having a vegetable garden is what keeps me sane for summer.

Between the coastal congestion and the heat & humidity I'm more a hermit staying inside A/C trying to stay cool and sane during summer. The only thing I look forward to is picking fresh produce form backyard and yeah... I LOVE the end of the season when its time to take everything up and prepare for Fall & Winter.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:26 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,655 times
With the warmer weather yesterday, everybody and their brother was out on their motorcycles. I guess I do not blame them as first out of a very cold winter... but still.. I wish they would be mindful of not 'sounding the pipes off' in a residential area...
Lots of people towing their boats. Time to fish !

Old 05-04-2015, 07:45 AM

64 posts, read 60,408 times
All of your posts have been super insightful, thank you. I already recognize some kindred spirits among you. This traffic thing is of keen interest because I live in one of the most congested cities in the country. Today, my three-mile commute can take more than an hour. A good attitude works fairly well but, alas, only inside my own car.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:21 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
With the warmer weather yesterday, everybody and their brother was out on their motorcycles. I guess I do not blame them as first out of a very cold winter... but still.. I wish they would be mindful of not 'sounding the pipes off' in a residential area...
Lots of people towing their boats. Time to fish !
not wanting people sounding their pipes off in a "residential" area is a sure sign of someone from away--embrace the pipes and quit complaining!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
not wanting people sounding their pipes off in a "residential" area is a sure sign of someone from away--embrace the pipes and quit complaining!
No complaint publically and I laugh as other neighbors etc look at the 'cycles in such disgust as well.
To me- its as offensive as someone squeeling their tires off on pavements at pull out.
And actually - 'being from away' has nothing to do with it. Actually- most motorcycle people are very kind and considerate with respect to vehicle noise.
Only condolance is speed limit is 25 so that might be a short end to it when enforced....

Old 05-04-2015, 06:50 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I'm from here, and I find it to be stupid and really rude. It's a sure sign of a jerk.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:27 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westeasterly View Post
Hey Mainers, how do you keep an even keel when summer crowds arrive, especially in the coastal areas? Do you just run your errands early in the day? Do any of you rent out your place during summer? If so, where do you go? Or do you just enjoy your garden and look forward to the end of the season? I'm sure it helps to have a good attitude, but what's left of it after Labor Day or leaf season? Interested in hearing about your experiences and coping strategies, especially if you are retired or on your own schedule.

Aside: First post. By way of introduction, I've been quietly hanging out here for about a year reading up about year-round life in Maine, having only visited during summer. Likely retiring in Midcoast, but it's a few years out and I have a series of exploratory trips ahead. Appreciate your feedback.
I've lived in Camden for 6 years now. Don't even worry about traffic. At worst, it's taken me maybe 10 minutes to get through downtown Camden. And that's in July and August. Otherwise, no biggie. I love tourist season (people watching!), but also enjoy the quieter months here (October through May). If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask...

Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I'm from here, and I find it to be stupid and really rude. It's a sure sign of a jerk.
Well stated. That's the size of it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine