Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 03:18 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Both Belgrade and Bangor would be more expensive than many other smaller towns in Maine. You can rent an apartment in many towns for $400-450 a month, heat included (1 bedroom).
...so give the OP some links to rentals with the criteria you mention...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
off topic alittle, but is there any demand up there for jobs in the computer/IT field? or are they hard to find?
If you are qualified, give it a look see; what do you have to lose? Technology Jobs | TechMaine

Maine.gov: Employment: Job Opportunities

Old 05-08-2015, 03:36 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,112 times
hey, rentals up in maine are cheap compared to the one other state im looking at, Alaska. I guess you should be able to tell why im debating those two states....

hint: Both are outdoorsmens paradise, Alaska might have more wilderness, but Maine has enough jobs to keep one alive, especially someone with a medical issue like me that requires alot of money.

@mainegirl, wow, i tried looking for some to see what the market is like, and let me say that first link has alot, seems like IT might actually be a good field up there for central maine, which if located in a right spot, i could be near n. maine, and not commute to long hopefully.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:37 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,655 times
I am sorry but I fail to see why Maine would even remotely be like Alaska...
As off handed, I have studied that massive state, and by far- talk about remote??? Move to Alaska.. that is unless you live in one of the cities then prices for anything ( especially food and supplies) are through the roof. Even gas is well over 5.00 a gallon or more....

Another thing that baffles me is why looking for a 'min. wage job'. Not one mother ever said " I hope my child makes a min wage.'
Min. Wage was set up originally to off set the poor pay received back almost a century ago, and also to dissolve the unions as stating a paid rate for labor.

I do not know your situation, but unless you are looking to making your sole choice of income say at a 'wal-mart' type deal, you might want to reconsider this move at the present time. If nothing else- than for any medical that might be needed. ( ie- stay with your doctor...)

Old 05-09-2015, 04:49 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
As off handed, I have studied that massive state, and by far- talk about remote??? Move to Alaska.. that is unless you live in one of the cities then prices for anything ( especially food and supplies) are through the roof. Even gas is well over 5.00 a gallon or more....

Another thing that baffles me is why looking for a 'min. wage job'. Not one mother ever said " I hope my child makes a min wage.'
Min. Wage was set up originally to off set the poor pay received back almost a century ago, and also to dissolve the unions as stating a paid rate for labor.

I do not know your situation, but unless you are looking to making your sole choice of income say at a 'wal-mart' type deal, you might want to reconsider this move at the present time. If nothing else- than for any medical that might be needed. ( ie- stay with your doctor...)
good post..

minimum wage is not a living wage,,,its a foot in the door, then you get raises based on merit and performance..

minimum wage should be called "starting wage"

I wouldn't move anywhere and depend on minimum wage to live

unless you have no debt,,,then maybe

Old 05-09-2015, 05:53 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
I would discourage this.

Inevitably, a lot of the "wanna-be-Mainers" are unhappy where they live because they are mired in debt, have numerous medical issues, need welfare/food stamps/Section 8, and have been working minimum wage (or close to it) where they live now...and wonder why they are unhappy.

The place you live now is not the problem. The problem is what you see in the mirror. If you bring that person up to Maine, the problem will follow you. And then Maine will be just one more place where you are unahppy. Just sayin'.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:29 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,112 times
As ive stated, i dont plan to make min wage, i just wanted to know how bad most likely worse case scenario would be, as total unemployment is very very unlikely for any long rate of time. Down here in ma, min wage=death, so i was mainly wondering how bad off it would be up there compared to down here.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
hey, rentals up in maine are cheap compared to the one other state im looking at, Alaska. I guess you should be able to tell why im debating those two states....

hint: Both are outdoorsmens paradise, Alaska might have more wilderness, but Maine has enough jobs to keep one alive, especially someone with a medical issue like me that requires alot of money.

@mainegirl, wow, i tried looking for some to see what the market is like, and let me say that first link has alot, seems like IT might actually be a good field up there for central maine, which if located in a right spot, i could be near n. maine, and not commute to long hopefully.
There are computers pretty much everywhere...even in Maine School systems also hire tech people but usually pay is higher in the private sector. btw, if you choose to work at Wal-Mart, you might not have to settle for minimum wage--might get $10 an hour--not much of an improvement. Hannaford was hiring--$9 an hour. IMO it's pretty common for someone to drive 30 to 60 minutes (or more) to work.... lots of excitement and a longer drive in a snow storm. Be careful not to move in the summer and fall into a seasonal job that will leave you looking for another job at the end of the season. If you do this, go in with your eyes wide open. I am concerned by your posts where you talk about minimum wage, then you talk about having a medical issue that requires a lot of money (???)

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 05-09-2015 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
This isn't the first time I've heard Alaska compared to Maine and vice versa....cold, snow, long winters, gorgeous summers, outdoorsy kind of place, majestic scenery, boats, loved by hunters, borders the ocean, fishing industry, population of native people, tourism industry, snow mobiles, etc. I realize Alaska is a much bigger state than Maine. Been watching Alaska State Troopers some; some towns and villages are extremely remote. Have you ever read the book about the lady from Addison, Maine who was a missionary in Alaska? sorry, can't remember the name of it at the moment... There used to be a minister in Gouldsboro whose family had been missionaries in Barrow, Alaska. Funny, he used to say he could see the end of the world out his kitchen window from his home in Winter Harbor. I never heard him say that about Barrow.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:18 PM

155 posts, read 196,130 times
Quote:
As off handed, I have studied that massive state
Umm... really? You fail to see why? Perhaps the reason is the word I've bolded. I've been and spent time all over the US (and overseas too but that's different) and yes Alaska is basically Maine with the ocean to the West instead of the East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine