Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:48 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,156,147 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I will ever get to Maine but I wondered if others experiencing the cold as is being described here, have had the following experience... My old house has hot water radiators, lovely big white ones. And there is one in the dining room that is taller (and narrower) than all the others. Its' a bit higher than one's butt. When coming in shivering and teeth chattering on a bitter cold day, you walk to that radiator, and place your butt against the hot cells. Ahhhh.... The second your butt makes contact, the teeth chattering and shivering stop, and you feel warm, real warm. I wonder if the "buttocks" have special heat transmitting qualities.

Of course you wouldn't be able to do this with a wood stove (ouch!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,322,453 times
I have always loved the way those old steam radiators heat a home. (Or a cold behind)

Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,156,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I have always loved the way those old steam radiators heat a home. (Or a cold behind)
They are wonderful. The standard thing with real estate listings down here is that "hot air" heat is always a desired, big plus. Probably because of it being adaptable to a/c. I grew up with h/a heat and didn't know any better. Until I got my current 1935 home. No more "boom" of the ducts and noise of the fan when the heat goes on. No more hot, dry dusty drafts. Instead, especially on a very cold day when one is sheltering inside from the conditions outside, you hear the gently quiet "creak" and "crack" of the system when the pump goes on and the pipes expand. It adds to the "snug" feeling

BTW when one uses the word "buttocks" its' always funny

Old 01-18-2008, 05:40 PM

37,210 posts, read 60,920,437 times
Some folks do make Maine sound cold.

I do see that it appears winters here do vary a great deal. The more severe cold temperatures sound interesting, I have not seen such since we have moved here.

I do not doubt that it may get severely cold here, I would like to see it happen sometime though.

Maine does have a reputation for cold weather.

Will we continue to see these mild temps? Or will we see an actual cold winter anytime soon?

Who knows.

I have been told that long ago, the Penobscot River in Old Town used to freeze-up solid enough to allow vehicle travel going to Indian Island.

But temps have not been that low for decades.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:48 PM

2,721 posts, read 6,382,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I have the old radiators and love the heat, (not the oil bill, though).
Of course bydand, another GREAT thing of living in the land of single digits, is the old "water-on-the-head-trick".
This must be performed by a trained individual, or an idiot.
When the temp is -12 or colder, (don't ask me why), I fill a 20 ounce cup with water, heat said cup in the microwave for 2 and a half minutes, promptly head outdoors, and throw the water straight up over me. With any luck, the water will return to my head and shoulders as ice.
It is a crowd pleaser, especially if your audience is under the age of 10!!
Must mention how pretty today was.
Snowed like heck till 11:00 AM and then the most beautiful blue sky!
The sun is getting warmer now and life is good!
Nice thread.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 PM

455 posts, read 1,223,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I just may save this part of your post and ask you about it exactly one year from today. LOL
I was telling Bert about this and he says I will "smile graciously and tell you how WONDERFUL it is to be in Maine and How I still love it" You will get the same response every year for the next twenty. If I says otherwise he will pack me up and mail me back to Florida. "postage due"
I can't think of anyone here that would be willing to pay the postage so I will be careful with my replies to that question. He says you can always put more clothes on, but you can take just so many off before you get arrested. He Knows since he came VERY close to indecent exposure a few times this last year.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:25 PM

474 posts, read 1,410,960 times
Bydand,

Thanks for the great post! The only problem with it is - those of us not fortunate to be in Maine yet..... Just make us sadder!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:34 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,035,263 times
Great thread Bydand

I have radiators in the house in Eastport and when I go down to open it for the spring it's pretty chilly in there--I LOVE plopping down on those old wood floors next to a radiator!

the water trick is best with kids--no doubt about that! Have I told you guys about bubbles? When it's really cold and dry, they shatter immediately--any bubble "juice" will work

Old 01-18-2008, 07:48 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
When the temp is -12 or colder, (don't ask me why), I fill a 20 ounce cup with water, heat said cup in the microwave for 2 and a half minutes, promptly head outdoors, and throw the water straight up over me. With any luck, the water will return to my head and shoulders as ice.
I do this for the boys every year usually. This Sunday night it should be a fine evening for it. Predicted low of -22.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,486,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Didn't even think of snowmen actually. The snow this far inland is usually light and not very high in moisture content so it isn't very packy. The Ruffians get to make a snowman about 3 times a year is all. They spend most of their time on snow forts and terrorizing the neighbor girls.
Great idea for a thread!! Ahh. snowforts..memories. If I ever get my daughter to upload and send the pic of her and her boyfriend with a snowman, I'll pout it on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine