Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times

Advertisements

For those who have decided or are still trying to decide, in the research process or have already found "IT", I'd love to hear where you are likely to end up in Maine and a little about why you chose that specific place. Care to share with the classs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 12:30 PM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times
I am pretty familiar with the area from Portsmouth NH up to Portland Maine. I have never lived there but have grown children who do and who are part of the reason we are looking to relocate. My parents also ended up in Biddeford but were originally from Portland and had also lived in Pittsfield, Eastport and Dexter. I used to regularly drive from Laconia NH up to Ogunquit and to visit the folks in Biddeford.

We started looking in Scarborough and Saco, OOB and Gorham and the towns around Portland. We then shifted our focus to Auburn/Lewiston where we found great houses (and high taxes) but had lots of advice that we might not find compatibility in that community. Next we looked in the Bangor area but it seemed remote from family and I was aware of the brutal murder of a gay man there some years ago...and that sorta spooked me. Then we looked in Brunswick and Topsham, which still appeals to me, but are deciding that for us the amenities of Portland would make a difference during the long snowy winters. We just might like to get out for a meal or to a concert or movie without worrying about road conditions either getting there or getting home at the end of the evening. So right now we have our eye on some properties in Deering, OOB, the Back Cove and South Portland.

Of course as you well know Elacarim....the first order of business is to sell this house!!!! We do have two showings lined up for today

Old 01-05-2008, 12:37 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
elston, there was more to the murder of the man in Bangor than his sexual orientation.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:38 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Congrats on the continued showings! That's half the battle, I believe. I'm anxious to meet with our realtor Tuesday and address all my nagging questions and decide while we're talking if we're going to be able to get out of our contract and move on to someone more interested in selling our house.

Good luck with the showings!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:10 PM

612 posts, read 1,216,842 times
Default Where are you going?

All-rightee then...back on topic...

Bydand,

Where are you and why did you decide to live there?

Old 01-05-2008, 02:27 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,879,428 times
We are still trying to decide where to land when we come back.

Where we want to live is way too expensive; the really affordable areas would present employment issues; we need to find a happy medium which is why I still think the Bangor area will be our likely target.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:34 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,699,642 times
We're also leaning more toward the Bangor area. We'd like to live in a rural area, but not too far from shopping, hospitals, employment, etc. I'd say within a 30 minute radius of Bangor. Still trying to narrow that down though. Also Belfast and Rockland are places we're interested in.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 11,262 times
We thought we had our minds all made up.

We are wanting close to Canada and close to the coast but now we find that there are other considerations that we wish to explore.

Time for a road-trip.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:38 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,883 times
I was a bit surprised to learn that Bangor was the 2nd largest city in Maine. We have traveled through there a couple of times on trips. We drove the Airline highway (9) as they call it, to Calais one time, and the other trip we were heading to Eastport. I love the way Maine highway construction just might have a bulldozer parked in the road that you have to drive around. They were repaving/widening the highway the first trip, and the last trip, wow, it was in great shape. It is a beautiful drive!

Bangor seems to be just enough of a town to have everything you want, without being spread out all over the place!

Old 01-05-2008, 03:48 PM

454 posts, read 886,448 times
We are already here, but we chose the mid-coast region simply for geographical reasons. It allows us to be able to travel pretty much to any spot in the state without a long trip. We figure it will be a plus as we take a year or two to decide where we want to throw down roots

It's also cool that we can be at any state event be it a concert in Freeport, or a fair in Frye, or hiking up at Baxter state park with a day trip

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-05-2008 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine