Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 PM

63 posts, read 268,367 times

Advertisements

How come Maine drivers are required to wear seat belts, but motorcyclist are not required to wear a helmet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 09:03 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
Good question!!! While I believe that anyone should be free to wear a seatbelt or not the same rules should apply to motorcyclists. I wear a helmet while riding only because past experiences while riding dirt bikes has taught me that a helmet can be very necessary. The helmet saved me more than once and because of that I would not ride without one. I understand why some folks don't want to wear them ,the same way I understand that some don't want to wear seat belts. In my opinion there should be a manditory helmet law in any state that requires the use of seatbelts! And that's just about all of them!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:01 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,497 times
Didn't they try to pass a helmet law some years back?
I'm surprised it's not a law; should be, IMHO.

I once saw a guy in the Lakes region dump his motorcycle in the road right in front of me; he was horsing around in a group of riders and boom, down he went. Luckily didn't take anyone else with him, but it was horrifying watching him and the cycle bounce and slide down the pavement at 40 mph, narrowly missing a hit from an oncoming motorist. His guardian angel was working overtime that day. He was wearing a helmet, good boots and a leather suit and got only scrapes and bruises, nothing broken. The cycle didn't look so good though. Sincerely hope he learned a lesson about how fleeting and precious health can be.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
There should be a helmet law. The legislature is scared of the United Bikers Of Maine. That is the ONLY reason there in not a helmet law. But you know what they say...If you don't wear a helmet you probably don't need one!

Old 06-13-2008, 06:28 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,693 times
And while we're at it, start ticketing the obnoxious after market pipes!

Old 06-13-2008, 06:44 AM

105 posts, read 286,868 times
I wear a seatbelt and a helmet, when driving car and riding bike, respectively.

I have seen a motorcycle accident where a man was not wearing a helmet. Seeing him groan and convulse is forever seared in my brain. He later died. On the flip side, my husband hit a deer on his bike. Broke his collar bone, and had some wicked road rash. His helmet was what saved him I'm sure, as it was in pretty bad condition.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:22 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,129 times
I sometimes where a helmet, I sometimes do not. The only difference I could make would be that a seatbelt not only protects you in case of an accident, but it also helps you maintain control of a vehicle in case of evasive maneuvers and such. A MC helmet is really just to protect you. Though, I wonder how the insurance companies feel about it?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:24 AM

152 posts, read 457,640 times
While I will always ware my seatbelt, I don’t believe it's the governments’ job to make sure you do; same with helmets. It the governments job to make sure the car manufacture provides the seat beats for your use but It should be up to you to decide if you are going to ware it or not.

The government needs to stop wasting there time and our money on legislating common sense.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:37 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Massive Head Injuries become society's burden. A person who is injured while in their 20's can be a significant financial drain on all of us thru insurance rates and taxes to keep him (or her) alive and tended to. I feel it is entirely right for laws to be passed to protect the public from unnecessary liability. If it were only a personal decision I would agree with those who feel government needs to keep out of it...but the decision to drain everyone else's pockets for years.....that isnt a personal right or decision.

Legislation works and helps. You can legislate what common sense fails to accomplish. I now wear my seat belt.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:58 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
I have noticed that when I wear my helmet driving around town in my car, people tend to get out of the way a lot faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine