Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:01 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times

Advertisements

Oceanside and Vista ( i live in Vista) are both nice alternatives and less expensive than some of the san diego county towns. I happen to like Escondido but lots of people run it down. I didn't want to be to negative about Riverside.....but you couldnt pay me enough to move out there. Hot, dry, isolated, no culture and a history of violence and narrow mindedness. Not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
GO.

That's what I would do.

Because at the end of this ride, when I'm reflecting on my life, I don't want to be saying "I wonder..." about things I could control

Either go now or wait until your first grader is done with high school.

It is not fair to uproot the kids when they are older and so involved with friends and school, imho.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post

It is not fair to uproot the kids when they are older and so involved with friends and school, imho.
I moved to a small NH town when I had one in 3rd grade and one in 1st grade and one preschooler. We decided that was the last move, that they would graduate HS with the kids they went to elementary school with. The youngest graduated with about 8 kids he had been in school with since private kindergarten, and got a certificate from the K teacher .

After HS they didnt stick around that town....but I still think it gave them a good start.

I agree with Moughie.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:34 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,345 times
Beth...
I know nothing about Cal. but I say ..."The only things we will regret at the end of our lives are the things we dared not do."

If it is something you really want to do.....do it.
But I do agree that you need to take a second look on the place YOU call "HOME".

Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 PM

38 posts, read 148,729 times
Default Have lived in Southern California for 15 years

Hi Beth G.
My wife and I have lived in Southern California for the past 15 years or so, and are actually looking to move to the Portland, Maine area sometime in the next 1-2 years due to a job relocation. We are both originally from the Northeast.

Southern California is an amazing place to live. It has beautiful mountains, and coastline with a warm, desert climate with low humidty. The weather year round is tops! There is alot to do, with beaches, wine country, sports teams, touristy things, great restaurants, comedy clubs, jazz clubs, retail shopping (upscale as well lower level), etc etc etc Its also really exciting the first few times you see movies and tv shows being filmed all around you, as well as bumping into and seeing movie stars/musicians, etc. There is an abundance of jobs also in many different fields with very good pay. There are also top Universities here as well as good schooling for children.

But, with all good things, there are also bad things. First of all, California, and particularly Southern California is very very very EXPENSIVE. Where I live $1,000,000 buys a FIXER HOUSE. Housing has come down only slightly in the past year. Besides housing being astronomical, it costs hundreds of dollars each year just to register your car. Its bout $600 a year to register both my wife's and my cars. Gas is also one of the highest in the nation, along with the pricing on food, electricity and water. Salaries, while they are slightly higher than most states, they do not even come CLOSE to keeping up with the increase in the cost of living.
ALso don't forget about the AWFUL traffic. IN Los Angeles, its almost 24/7 the traffic. In San Diego, its not as bad, but still very crowded. In LA, also remember there is alot of pollution and crime in bad neighborhoods,,,So i suggest if in LA, live in the best neighborhood you can afford.

DO the + outweigh the - ?? ....well after 15 years.....i'd say no, But i've still loved my time out here....I just think after 15 years for myself and 18 years for my wife we are ready for a change. However, if you can afford Southern California, and dont mind the congestion its a beautiful place to live with some of the best that life has to offer all around you. Good luck in your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth G. View Post
Okay, I know most people on the Maine forums are trying to move TO MAINE. Is there anyone out there that has left Maine for Southern California? I have spent a lot of time growing up in SoCal because my mom lived there and dad lived here in Maine. I've always wanted to live in SoCal and am now almost 35 and haven't done it yet! Am I crazy to want to leave Maine and go there? Maybe I won't last more than 5 years out there and get eaten alive and bounce back home to Maine. Its scary, but something I feel I need to do.

Any advice from anyone out there???????

Old 01-22-2008, 07:15 PM

37 posts, read 150,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post

I agree with Moughie. I'm trying to convince my husband the same. I'd rather try now to move rather than wait.

Maine 2009:
I have heard how expensive Southern Cal is as far as home prices, but it is really more expensive than ME when it comes to groceries, gas, electricity, etc? Considering how much we pay to heat our homes? Isn't the electricity there nuclear powered and cheaper? I live in Kennebunk and gas is VERY expensive here.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 AM

HI Beth, don't get me wrong, I love Southern California, but after 15 years i think i'm ready for a change.

Well, as far as electricity goes, it costs us about $400-$500++/month in the summer to cool our 2500sqft ranch home. Most summers in Southern California have 10-20 days over 100+ degrees (unless you live at the ocean). 2 summers ago we had 40 consequtive days of 100+ degrees in los angeles. So your a/c is on alot...sometimes all day and all night to keep the house at 75degrees. Good news is that there is little or no humidity!

Most newer homes out here that are 2 stories tall have dual zone a/c (2 a/c units, one for the top floor and one for the bottom floor). This dual a/c helps because you don't have to cool the whole house at once, just one level if you want to save $$$.

There is also talk in LA where i live about water rationing starting either this coming summer or next summer because of the drought s california has been in for a while. But there is still no confirmation that this will happen.

Gas here at the pump is about $3.50 regular gas , $3.60 mid grade, $3.70 high grade. Gas for your house.... well i'm not sure how expensive it is offhand. But it seems reasonable...When your in southern california you don't need to run our heater that much. Your gas bills probably won't be that high out here.

Groceries ....i've been told by friends of mine who still live in NJ/NY that groceries are more expensive in where I live. But, I really can't say for sure until i move back East.

Also, get ready to pay $100+-$500+ a year to register your car. Depending on how expensive your car is. for example a $40,000 car is about $300/yr to renew your cars registration.

Hope this was helpful to you.

Quote:
I agree with Moughie. I'm trying to convince my husband the same. I'd rather try now to move rather than wait.

Maine 2009:
I have heard how expensive Southern Cal is as far as home prices, but it is really more expensive than ME when it comes to groceries, gas, electricity, etc? Considering how much we pay to heat our homes? Isn't the electricity there nuclear powered and cheaper? I live in Kennebunk and gas is VERY expensive here.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:59 PM

254 posts, read 1,182,998 times
Beth, I can answer some of your questions too. My mom was just visiting me in California from Maine last month and she picked up a few things at the grocery store for me. She was floored at the price of chicken and milk, among other things, and this was at our regular grocery store. When we went to the yuppie store I thought she might go into shock.

Other things are more expensive too- parking garages, hair cuts, gym memberships, etc. It definitely adds up.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:20 AM

37 posts, read 150,521 times
Thank you Maine 2009 and Libby. Its hard to figure out what your bills are going to be when you live away but its important to know ahead of time.

$400-500/mo is very expensive for a/c on a monthly basis. Its basically the same as paying heating bills in Maine.

After talking with hubby this week, it doesn't look like I'll ever make it to Southern CA. Maybe when I retire. Ya right! I guess you can't convince someone to move so far away when they have no interest.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:37 PM

Hi Beth,
Sorry about your husband not wanting to move to Southern California. Except for the high living costs and traffic, it really is a nice place to live. I have had 15 great years out here. Ultimately though, you both have to want to move out here, or else things probably won't work out in the long run. Good luck with whatever you final decisions are.

Quote:
Thank you Maine 2009 and Libby. Its hard to figure out what your bills are going to be when you live away but its important to know ahead of time.

$400-500/mo is very expensive for a/c on a monthly basis. Its basically the same as paying heating bills in Maine.

After talking with hubby this week, it doesn't look like I'll ever make it to Southern CA. Maybe when I retire. Ya right! I guess you can't convince someone to move so far away when they have no interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine