Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 04:42 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I got one on me mowing the lawn with the riding tractor. All you can do is check every time you go outside in a rural area. Bugs that can cause such extreme illness just give me the creeps, but I know people that had a carload of them (literally) from working in the woods that never seemed to be affected.
Been bad here too. I picked one up just putting the trash barrel in the truck, dragging it out to the road and coming back. Been getting a bunch off the dog, and took a few more off myself. Fortunately, the ones on me were still crawling, hadn't latched on yet...that really gives me the willies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Been bad here too. I picked one up just putting the trash barrel in the truck, dragging it out to the road and coming back. Been getting a bunch off the dog, and took a few more off myself. Fortunately, the ones on me were still crawling, hadn't latched on yet...that really gives me the willies.
For your dog, I would suggest you use K9 Advantex. Not only does it kill fleas and ticks but also repells fleas, tics, and misquitos . ( ie to stop the bite before it happens in the prevention of Lyme disease. ).

WE use Interseptor for heartworm and worming, and K9 advantex for the rest.
I am however relieved to see that heartworm is basically non-existent in Maine

Old 06-05-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
For your dog, I would suggest you use K9 Advantex. Not only does it kill fleas and ticks but also repells fleas, tics, and misquitos . ( ie to stop the bite before it happens in the prevention of Lyme disease. ).

WE use Interseptor for heartworm and worming, and K9 advantex for the rest.
I am however relieved to see that heartworm is basically non-existent in Maine
Yeah, we use something on the dog (name escapes me at the moment), it kills the ticks eventually but not instantly. She gets a pre-emptive heartworm med too. Mrs. Z got Lyme from a tick bite, she wasn't real pleased at that.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah, we use something on the dog (name escapes me at the moment), it kills the ticks eventually but not instantly. She gets a pre-emptive heartworm med too. Mrs. Z got Lyme from a tick bite, she wasn't real pleased at that.
We found out, when we lived in Virginia, that Frontline was basically useless. One our dogs got Lyme when on it- and ohhh such pain he was in. It took a month of Doxyclycline to get rid of it, and used Arnica pellets for the pain.

The issue with frontline comes that the tick can still bite- and once bitten- the disease is spread instantly.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 PM

Yeah, that's the one, Frontline. I'll look into the K9-A, after having it herself Mrs. Z is paranoid about the dog getting it since she has enough problems with pain already (got hit by a car a while back, and seems to have some bad arthritis now).

Old 06-05-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's the one, Frontline. I'll look into the K9-A, after having it herself Mrs. Z is paranoid about the dog getting it since she has enough problems with pain already (got hit by a car a while back, and seems to have some bad arthritis now).
( *sorry for taking this off topic from the original post )

For arthritis - you can get Cosequin DS Plus MSM.
Cosequin DS Plus MSM Soft Chews | Dog Joint Supplement - 1800PetMeds

"Cosequin® patented formula of chondroitin sulfate (TRH12®) and glucosamine hydrochloride (FCHG49®), with the addition of MSM to improve your pet's mobility and overall joint health... "
This stuff is excellent and have it used it for many older dogs or even those that need a bit of help especially in the winter.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:41 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We do well using CapStar.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Capstar is good but there are several breeds prone to lower thyroid, medication sensitivities, or even to the extreme of becoming resistant to it.
It's one of those types that if it works- great but if doesn't- it really does not...
CapStar also does not repel, or treat tics nor misquitos

Old 06-05-2015, 01:55 PM

Thanks borzoi, I'll compare that to what she's already giving her (along with the occasional dose of Tramadol0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
From the write-ups, it looks like CapStar only kills adult fleas of an extant infestetion, and does not serve as a long-term preventative?

Old 06-05-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks borzoi, I'll compare that to what she's already giving her (along with the occasional dose of Tramadol0.

From the write-ups, it looks like CapStar only kills adult fleas of an extant infestetion, and does not serve as a long-term preventative?
Tramadol is a pain killer that, on long term use, causes liver and kidney damage. If the dog is in pain occasationally, I would suggest getting "Arnica Montana " pellets. Though holistic, it works and quick as well as no side effects unlike the Tramadol. ( doseage depends on weight of the dog- please pm me ).
If she is giving the Tramadol for aid due to arthritis pains- the Cosequin will take care of the arthritis very well. Usually takes a few day before you start seeing the results.

And you are correct about the Capstar- it will not work on eggs, nor repell or kill the other of tics and misquitos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine