Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:52 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times

Advertisements

Wow interesting stuff. Thanks guys. May have to more thouroughly check this out. If we could start a small business, we could shave nealry 9 years off of our ETA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 06:24 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I used the business clinic at the county's cooperative extension a lot. It's paid for with our taxes. I had an hour long appointment once a month.

SBDC Small Business Development Center.
I have used the version of this we have here in NC too.. and recommend them highly to my small business clients!

Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrittyMcDuffy View Post
What resources, in terms of tax breaks and maybe small business loans, does Maine offer its residents if they want to start an online business? I am thinking that a green friendly business would be the way to go. Looks like Maine needs businesses that will not impact much with a physical footprint or air/water footprint. Any ideas what Maine can offer that other people would crave in the rest of the USA that they could get online from here?
green friendly??

you would think in this day and age, there would be more affordable, readily available energy options to the average consumer.
i believe what acadialion is doing (wanting to build a home with a 100% green footprint) should be a measure that the average consumer was more aware of,,im sure he is researching and learning alot, about the cost/benefit of what's available, and how it works, and break-even points of installing green systems.
i believe there is one house in maine(that i know of) in the town of starks that is 100% green.

as an average consumer without doing the reasearch of whats available, and viable,,i havent a clue, of whats on the market, that can save me money and be enviro-friendly, at the same time,,
there are no vacuums in business,,so..ive yet to hear of any "green footprint"
contractors/brokers/marketeers, that will either come to my house, give me a free estimate of where i can save money, with new enviro-friendly technology, and/or tell me, whats the break-even if oil suddenly costs 4.50 a gallon(what are my energy alternatives)
this is big business,,,and it will grow tremendously,
oh, and im sure they may be out there folks "in the know" but to parlay that into what others can do, someone coming to my house, evaluate whats available to what im using, ive yet to see that advertised.
"green energy consultants"
they could give classes, on available energies, whether its solar panels, photovaltaic batteries, etc,,, id like a green energy consultant come to my house, assess the amount of sun i get on my roof, give me an estimate of installation, and also, cost/benefit analysis, of the price of oil per gallon now, and if it goes up (which it will)

and i dont believe you have to be a scientist to do this,,,research and learn whats available now, whats on the cutting edge, pull all the resources together.

id rather not see a company or webpage that just "lists" all the other companies, and say "good-luck" id want a person to talk to, to come to my house..., id want to see testimonials, and real examples of whats working..or go see a new house under construction, using green technologies...or again, that house in starks, thats already there,,
.a whole different world,

just my two cents..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: