Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:11 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,374,522 times

Advertisements

It should, what im saying is sunday hunting should only be landowners choice. The govt does not have a say imo regarding that, in any state. If i want my land open mon-fri to hunting, then it is, sat-fri, my choice, or even weeklong. It would be my land, so MY CHOICE. The landowner should be able to pick and choose any day in season (sundays included). Even can pick hours if wanted excluding after dark.

Safe to say i favor less govt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 09:37 PM

625 posts, read 786,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesig View Post
I don't understand why people confuse needs with rights. Silencer is an incorrect term. The correct term is suppressor. There will always be a sound. The only advantage over game that I am aware of is when one used while hunting feral hogs. Bambi will not be slaughtered by the score.

The suppressor does save the hunter from hearing loss.

Will many hunters use one? Probably not. In addition to the cost of the suppressor, there are still a bunch of hoops to jump through and a $200 tax to be paid for each one.
No sir the correct term is silencer. That is what MR Maxim named them on his patent and that is was the only word the ATF would accept for many years. A silencer is what it is NOT what it does!

Old 06-20-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
It should, what im saying is sunday hunting should only be landowners choice. The govt does not have a say imo regarding that, in any state. If i want my land open mon-fri to hunting, then it is, sat-fri, my choice, or even weeklong. It would be my land, so MY CHOICE. The landowner should be able to pick and choose any day in season (sundays included). Even can pick hours if wanted excluding after dark.

Safe to say i favor less govt.
If you own land in Maine you can do exactly this. Your land you decide when it can be used and by whom. People can not just hunt on your land.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why do you need a silencer to hunt? The massively powerful bullet just isn't enough of an advantage over the deer anymore?

If you want a silencer to hunt, take up bow hunting.
Well let me tell you. First SAFETY! The person hunting does not have to wear hearing protection that might restrict their hearing something around them. It also prevents those who choose not to wear hearing protection form damaging their ears. Next many people complain the sound of gunshots is scary and they do not want it near their homes. This negates that. Finally a silencer does not really give you any advantage while hunting as you can only shoot one deer. Lats it was a right that ws removed with no valid reason as Sunday hunting was by the bible thumpers who loved the blue laws to keep the men in church and donating their hard earned money.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:53 AM

18 posts, read 19,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
No sir the correct term is silencer. That is what MR Maxim named them on his patent and that is was the only word the ATF would accept for many years. A silencer is what it is NOT what it does!
That's not an agency I would use as a source for a definition but duly noted.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:31 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,631,298 times
If the "sportsman" *laff laff* who is gutlessly hiding somewhere with a gun, misses the first time because he might be seeing double from the likker skweezins, the poor, helpless animal wont hear the shot that missed them and not bolt allowing aforementioned "sportsman" *laff laff* to squeeze off a few more rounds. A gun and hiding isn't enough, anything else to take what little advantage the animal has, away

Old 06-21-2015, 12:16 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,184,247 times
I still haven't heard a valid answer to the question: Why would someone want to hunt with a weapon fitted with a silencer? I've hunted since I was 14, and can't think of a reason. But, that being said, just because I wouldn't see the need for it, doesn't mean the State should be dictating whether or not they could be used while hunting.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:58 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,374,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
If you own land in Maine you can do exactly this. Your land you decide when it can be used and by whom. People can not just hunt on your land.
you still cant decide if it is open sundays. Thats what i am getting at. Landowners decision 100% besides night hunting (obvious reasons)

Old 06-21-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
you still cant decide if it is open sundays. Thats what i am getting at. Landowners decision 100% besides night hunting (obvious reasons)
Agreed..

Old 06-21-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
If the "sportsman" *laff laff* who is gutlessly hiding somewhere with a gun, misses the first time because he might be seeing double from the likker skweezins, the poor, helpless animal wont hear the shot that missed them and not bolt allowing aforementioned "sportsman" *laff laff* to squeeze off a few more rounds. A gun and hiding isn't enough, anything else to take what little advantage the animal has, away
Well because that is not how it works. A can cuts the sound of the round going off it does NOT negate the sonic crack. So if you shoot a deer ( I have done this in other states) and miss or hit the deer still run. Now you can load a round subsonic and remove the sonic crack however you will then be dealing with a far less effective round depending on range. Here is a vid of me shooting a steel plate suppressed form a .308 at 200 yards. The sound at the shooters ear is almost nothing however if you where downrange you woudl clearly heard a very loud sonic crack. https://youtu.be/E0bK5Oyj24k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine