Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 04:30 PM

625 posts, read 792,100 times

Advertisements

YAY after many years of this right being removed for no valid reason we are about to get it back. For many years the IFW swore at every chance that such a thing woudl create a groundswell of poaching. The bill has passed both houses and is awaiting the govs pen! Finally it will be hearing safe to shoot a deer in Maine.. Now to get Sunday hunting back! https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...o-the-governor

Last edited by Maineguy04654; 06-18-2015 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 05:53 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Why do you need a silencer to hunt? The massively powerful bullet just isn't enough of an advantage over the deer anymore?

If you want a silencer to hunt, take up bow hunting.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:56 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
YAY after many years of this right being removed for no valid reason we are about to get it back. For many years the IFW swore at every chance that such a thing woudl create a groundswell of poaching. The bill has passed both houses and is awaiting the govs pen! Finally it will be hearing safe to shoot a deer in Maine.. Now to get Sunday hunting back! https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...o-the-governor
Good! Be wonderful to have less noise around in hunting season

Old 06-19-2015, 01:23 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,337 times
i dont have any arguments for or against using silencers, i am neutral on that, the deer will still hear it, a silencer wont make it as quiet as a bow, and they even hear the slap of the bowstring.

now, sunday hunting should ATLEAST be allowed on private land with permission from the owner pertaining to sundays. Landowners choice.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:56 PM

18 posts, read 19,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why do you need a silencer to hunt? The massively powerful bullet just isn't enough of an advantage over the deer anymore?
I don't understand why people confuse needs with rights. Silencer is an incorrect term. The correct term is suppressor. There will always be a sound. The only advantage over game that I am aware of is when one used while hunting feral hogs. Bambi will not be slaughtered by the score.

The suppressor does save the hunter from hearing loss.

Will many hunters use one? Probably not. In addition to the cost of the suppressor, there are still a bunch of hoops to jump through and a $200 tax to be paid for each one.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:31 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,337 times
well, it might also keep from attracting very odd animals who are curious, be it very few, but some more dangerous animals or ones accustomed to it, have to be attracted to such a loud BANG.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:38 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
With some suppressors you can use the same suppressor with various calibers. Just don't forget that it is set for a .22 caliber and screw it onto your .45. That would be bad and at the very least you would need to order a new suppressor.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:49 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Springfield Armory is now shipping their 9mm pistols with barrels threaded for a silencer. The silencer can be added later.

XD(M)® 4.5" Full Size 9mm - Threaded Barrel

Old 06-19-2015, 05:38 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
i dont have any arguments for or against using silencers, i am neutral on that, the deer will still hear it, a silencer wont make it as quiet as a bow, and they even hear the slap of the bowstring.

now, sunday hunting should ATLEAST be allowed on private land with permission from the owner pertaining to sundays. Landowners choice.
ALL HUNTING should include land-owner permission.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:46 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I shot a fox today. My sows were chasing him, and I wanted to give the sows better odds of catching him. [besides fox eat far too many of my hens]. But the sound of my .22 frightened my sows. No worries the sows caught up with Mr. Fox and made a meal of him.

I see a lot of suppressors at the local gunshop, maybe about as many Full-Autos. I recently read that Maine has over 5,000 Full-Autos

Our eldest son lives in Kansas. Out there hunting with a suppressor is preferred. Land-owners might only give you permission if you are using a suppressor. It seems that reducing the noise is a big bonus.

I do not have a Full-Auto nor a suppressor. I am in favor of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine