Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times

Advertisements

What kind of meat(s) have you consumed that are generally considered delicacies in countries other than the USA?

I've had cuy and found it delightful.

Last edited by AliceT; 01-22-2008 at 02:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
I don't know if it's a European thing, but I've tried blood sausage. Doesn't taste too bad, if you can get over the fact that it's BLOOD SAUSAGE!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:17 AM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times
"Boudin" is the French Canadian name for blood sausage. The French Canadian people in New England enjoy it and it is a bit different but popular with the Acadian Cajun folks in Louisianna. I bet you can get Boudin in a corner grocery store in Lewiston/Aubin. My mother was English and she also liked blood sausage.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I don't know if it's a European thing, but I've tried blood sausage. Doesn't taste too bad, if you can get over the fact that it's BLOOD SAUSAGE!
UGH...my parents eat this...blood pudding too. It's called something in Portuguese but I can't think of it...begins with an M.
I can't get over the fact that it's BLOOD...ewewewewew. My parents crack up everytime they eat it...they're sure to let me know.
They eat some gross stuff.

I had conch chowder in St. Martin and it was delicious. Maybe that's not so exotic huh?

Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
UGH...my parents eat this...blood pudding too. It's called something in Portuguese but I can't think of it...begins with an M.
I can't get over the fact that it's BLOOD...ewewewewew. My parents crack up everytime they eat it...they're sure to let me know.
They eat some gross stuff.

I had conch chowder in St. Martin and it was delicious. Maybe that's not so exotic huh?
Conch chowder sounds interesting. Does it taste like clam chowder?

Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Morcela is the Portuguese blood sausage.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 AM

I was dining out with family in Japan. It was at a nice resturant where they serve you between 8 to 15 courses...some of them very small portions served on tiny little dishes, delicate and beautiful. I think that kind of dining style is called Keiseki. Anyway we were seated at the low table on mats and I was trying to find a way to fold my legs so I would fit (remember I have the santa claus build) . We had had some miso soup and some tsukamono (pickled vegetables) some sashimi and I sampled one offering and chewed and chewed and chewed. I asked my DP what it was.....he didnt know and asked his mom and dad....they didnt know.....they called the waiter over and asked him....a long exchange..and some gestures toward their necks and nods and "so-so-so" .."so what is it?" I asked my DP. "You probably don't want to know." he cautioned. ?????? Turns out it was the caratid artery from a steer.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I was dining out with family in Japan. It was at a nice resturant where they serve you between 8 to 15 courses...some of them very small portions served on tiny little dishes, delicate and beautiful. I think that kind of dining style is called Keiseki. Anyway we were seated at the low table on mats and I was trying to find a way to fold my legs so I would fit (remember I have the santa claus build) . We had had some miso soup and some tsukamono (pickled vegetables) some sashimi and I sampled one offering and chewed and chewed and chewed. I asked my DP what it was.....he didnt know and asked his mom and dad....they didnt know.....they called the waiter over and asked him....a long exchange..and some gestures toward their necks and nods and "so-so-so" .."so what is it?" I asked my DP. "You probably don't want to know." he cautioned. ?????? Turns out it was the caratid artery from a steer.
EWWWWW! Great story though!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 AM

At another resturant we were dining with his sister and bil at a very popular and busy resturant in Chiba. Seated on tatami mats in an elevated private room sampling the sushi and sashimi. The waiter was bringing in one offering after another, along with sake and tsukemono (the ever present pickled vegetables); one offering was a fillet fish on a wooden tray. The razor thin sashimi slices were beautifully arranged like petals on the tray and the fresh fish from which the fillets had been cut was mounted as if it were leaping from the water sideways on spines about an inch above the tray...and then I noticed the tail was fluttering....I looked for a fan that was causing the tail to flutter ......YOU GUESSED IT, the poor fish was still alive!!!!! I almost fainted, BIL could see tht this sea food was too fresh for me.....and had the waiter remove it.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:04 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Morcela is the Portuguese blood sausage.
YES!!!! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine