Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 03:07 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

Medway voted this week in a ratio of 5 to 2 against establishing a national park in our region. East Millinocket will vote on Monday. These votes indicate the support or opposition to a park, but they do not have the force of law.

The people have good reason to fear government seizure of land. They know what happened in the cuyahoga Vally in Ohio and the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. "Big Park" is a film that was made about it.

Vanishing Freedoms II:Who Owns America? | Fox News

Here is a shorter version about what happened to the people in Ohio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_mtD1pdAto

"In Condemnation, The Cuyahoga Valley -- Mark and Dan Jury produced this short filmstrip in 1979. At the time, the filmmakers were trying to get a handle on the huge problem of Kelo type condemnation or eminent domain by the Park Service across the country. Over 60,000 people lost their homes, farms and land to NPS eminent domain abuses before Congress began to take away NPS (National Park Service) money.

The filmmakers chose to use the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area (NRA) in Ohio as an example although there were many more across America. Condemnations by the National Park Service have been reduced in recent years because the American Land Rights Association and other groups have tried to educate Congress that when they give the NPS more money for land acquisition, it just means more condemnation and threats of condemnation by Federal land acquisition agents working for the Park Service."

There is a greater danger now than during the rural cleansing that took place in the 1960s and 1970s. As a result of the BP oil spill a few years ago, BP was forced to give billions of dollars to the federal government to compensate the landowners and businesses along the Gulf of Mexico. A small portion of that windfall was used as intended. The vast majority was misappropriated by Attorney General Eric Holder for the purchase of more government land.

The hatchet lady brought to East Millinocket last week by the pro-park people announced that the federal government was able to establish four new national parks as part of last year's defense budget. You see, they hide their activities when they can. There are now 407 national parks and they say it is not enough. They want more. They want a LOT more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 07:41 PM

155 posts, read 196,050 times
Sadly I think every town up there could overwhelmingly vote against it and it's still not going to matter. It's going to end up like every other issue that effects rural Maine. The out of touch snobby voting bloc of the Portland region will hit the polls and it won't matter what the rest of the state thinks.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:15 PM

631 posts, read 748,880 times
Cities typically ruin everything for everyone else.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:57 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
wait-they're using defense money for national parks? So while it looks like there's a lot of money going for defense, some of it is going for parks? That is so wrong.

If anyone any where trusts our government, I cannot imagine why.

As much as I love Maine and the space available to the public, I much more envy the priority of private land over right of eminent domain I thought was there. Another bubble burst.

Northern Maine Land Man-could you explain what you mean by the 'rural cleansing' of the 60s and 70s?

Old 06-26-2015, 09:09 AM

266 posts, read 285,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
wait-they're using defense money for national parks? So while it looks like there's a lot of money going for defense, some of it is going for parks? That is so wrong.
I would like to see some actual evidence of this.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:42 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times
Is this a decision that could finallu end in your favor, to me it seems like the bear hunt, they will keep going untill they get their way, be it this year, next year, or 50 years from now.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
wait-they're using defense money for national parks?

Not really. They just attach totally unrelated spending scams to an important bill in the hope that the important bill will pass. These do not affect defense spending.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:18 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
oh.

misunderstaning on my part.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 AM

Today East Millinocket votes on their school budget and also votes on their support or non-support for a federal takeover of a huge chunk of Northern Maine. Last week Medway voted a resounding "No" against the takeover. Many people hope that East does the same. We'll know tomorrow morning.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 06-29-2015 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 AM

631 posts, read 748,880 times
Considering how close together Medway and East Millinocket are, the voting habits should not really change. At least... I hope not. I'm only concerned because Medway is fun (just not the property tax rate) and feds will ruin the quiet with new laws and restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine