Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:26 AM

27 posts, read 44,015 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving up to the Lewiston/ Auburn area when my current lease ends and was wondering if anyone could help me with a couple of questions that I've got.

I realize that it depends on the complex/ landlord, but about how much would a studio/one bedroom cost?

I plan on starting a family soon after getting to Maine and will eventually need a second bedroom. About how much would a 2 bedroom apartment go for?

I've only lived in houses/ apartments that had central heat/ air, if the apartment has central heat/air about how much would I pay in the winter to stay warm? I generally keep the heat and AC at about 66-70 degrees.

If there is another kind of heating source (oil, gas etc) is there a way to figure out about how much I'd pay to stay warm during the winter?

Any recommendations on particular complexes, or landlords?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 04:16 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,663 times
A big discussion about Lewiston/Auburn is probably about to occur. What do you know about Lewiston/Auburn and why do you want to live there? craigs list will give you an idea of cost; some utilities are sometimes included in the rent. maine apartments & rentals "lewiston auburn" - craigslist

66 might be a good temp for heat, but you might want to consider going higher (maybe 75) for AC if you even need it and if your rental even has it.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:52 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,861,580 times
I live in Lewiston, and I can't wait to run screaming from here, want to buy a house? I'll sell you mine.
seriously, you need to visit and have a look around before deciding to move here.

bill

Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 AM

301 posts, read 1,327,724 times
You want to run from Lewiston? May I ask why?

Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 AM

In reading on the forum, I see some "don't move to Lewiston/Auburn!" but not a lot of reasons why, why not?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 PM

Why would you choose Lewiston/Auburn of all the places in Maine? Apparently, no one wants to come right out and tell you the reason(s). Have you ever been to Lewiston/Auburn?

Old 04-24-2015, 03:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Lewiston use to be a powerhouse mill town/city, many French canadiens moved down here to work in the mills years ago

Lewiston has a huge amount of rentals/apartment buildings as does some parts of auburn (nicknamed little Canada)

I use to live in Auburn and I use to work in Lewiston, there are parts of Auburn that are just as nice as any neighborhood in maine. and parts of Lewiston are nice

but,,

the mills are slowly converting into commercial spaces, many of the old apartment building are showing their age
and, keep in mind between both cities theirs a population of 50-60k, so you are going to have some poor

also theirs quite a population of Somalian refugees in Lewiston that had many rumblings in the news a while ago

there are lots of decent towns around Lewiston/auburn that's desirable to live,,

the best thing to do is come up and see what YOU like

there are also some nice neighborhoods of rentals in auburn,
there isn't a street in either city id be afraid to walk down, at any time of the day..

Old 04-24-2015, 04:58 AM

234 posts, read 360,329 times
I grew up in Auburn and lived there for the first 28 years of my life. I went to their public schools, played in their sports systems, and made tons of friends. There are gritty parts of both cities, but the grit is poverty based and not violent. It's not Portland and it will never be Portland, but it's affordable. My brother owns a number of rental properties in the Lewiston/Auburn area. Look for "The Games Arena" on Facebook and inquire if interested.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:05 AM

Is that all? Like seriously? All it is is that it's an older town that used to be a milling town?

I think the fact that it's affordable and safe are good things and I'm willing to overlook the fact that it's a bit gritty.

Lewiston/Auburn is not my end goal of where to stay in Maine. I prefer smaller towns but want something of a decent size to stay in for a year or two while I search for "my" town. Lewiston/Auburn seems far enough away from the coast that I don't have to pay the high rent that always comes with being on the coast, but close enough that I could get to the coast for a 1-2 day trip when I want to visit. Looking at a map, it looks like Lewiston/Auburn is between the middle of the southern, coastal communities and the inland communities a bit further north. Until I decide where I want to live, and really set down roots, it seems like the right spot for a year or two.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl2014 View Post
Is that all? Like seriously? All it is is that it's an older town that used to be a milling town?

I think the fact that it's affordable and safe are good things and I'm willing to overlook the fact that it's a bit gritty.

Lewiston/Auburn is not my end goal of where to stay in Maine. I prefer smaller towns but want something of a decent size to stay in for a year or two while I search for "my" town. Lewiston/Auburn seems far enough away from the coast that I don't have to pay the high rent that always comes with being on the coast, but close enough that I could get to the coast for a 1-2 day trip when I want to visit. Looking at a map, it looks like Lewiston/Auburn is between the middle of the southern, coastal communities and the inland communities a bit further north. Until I decide where I want to live, and really set down roots, it seems like the right spot for a year or two.
After you live in the Lewiston/Auburn area for awhile, then you can come back to this thread and tell us what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine