Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 04:14 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,861,580 times

Advertisements

Maine diner owner faces backlash for yelling at toddler to stop crying | Fox News

40 minutes of crying in a diner sounds obsessive to me, after about 5 min I would (and have) carried my son outside. sounds like the parents think the world revolves around them and there little screeming meemee.

Whats your opinion?

bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 04:33 AM

234 posts, read 360,329 times
Regardless of what happened at the restaurant, her tirade against her customers on social media was absolutely absurd.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:58 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Common courtesy is no longer common. This is Maine. If somebody has a cranky kid they can be corrected or go sit in the car. Some parents are so overindulgent with their ill mannered ill-begotten little ragamuffins that they are an insult to society in general. The diner owner was supremely tolerant, but after 40 minutes the little demon's tantrum becomes too great a burden for anyone to endure. The diner owner did a commendable service for her regular customers and in the long run she will be rewarded for her initiative.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:28 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
40 minutes of crying in a diner sounds obsessive to me, after about 5 min I would (and have) carried my son outside.

Whats your opinion?
Agreed. That's simple common courtesy, or at least it used to be common.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:51 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
The lady was out of line.

Politely asking the parents to take care of the toddler was certainly warranted. Even politely asking the parents to take the kid outside or even asking them to leave would have been fine.

Screaming at a little kid you don't even know? I can't think of a better way to make a complete ass out of yourself.

The end does not justify the mean.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:12 AM

234 posts, read 360,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The lady was out of line.

Politely asking the parents to take care of the toddler was certainly warranted. Even politely asking the parents to take the kid outside or even asking them to leave would have been fine.

Screaming at a little kid you don't even know? I can't think of a better way to make a complete ass out of yourself.

The end does not justify the mean.
Everyone can have a bad day and snap. If she had just yelled at the kid in the restaurant and left it at that, this whole thing wouldn't be such a spectacle. However, she took it to Facebook, berating the customers and calling the kid names. The whole situation is ugly to say the least.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:20 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRocker View Post
Everyone can have a bad day and snap. If she had just yelled at the kid in the restaurant and left it at that, this whole thing wouldn't be such a spectacle. However, she took it to Facebook, berating the customers and calling the kid names. The whole situation is ugly to say the least.
Yup.

We all screw up from time to time. But when a decent person screws up, he or she admits it and apologizes. This lady is not. She is out of line.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
40 minutes of the kid crying??? that's very very poor parenting,,,maybe the owner already talked to the parents,,,,,and maybe the self-centered parents needed to hear it,,,

If my kid was crying for 4 minutes I remove him,,i ask him twice to stop if he doesn't,,i take him out

why should the other paying patrons have to listen to a kid wailing for 40 minutes???

im sure many other patrons wanted to scream at the parents of kid

she should post a sign "if kid screams for more than 5 minutes parents will be asked to leave"

Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Maine diner owner faces backlash for yelling at toddler to stop crying | Fox News

40 minutes of crying in a diner sounds obsessive to me, after about 5 min I would (and have) carried my son outside. sounds like the parents think the world revolves around them and there little screeming meemee.

Whats your opinion?

bill
I can't blame the kid for crying, she was 21 months old and that is what they do when they need or want something. IMO the blame for this melee rests squarely on the parents, who apparently ignored the child as she cried because they were engrossed in their conversation. I can't imagine taking a young child into a public place of any kind without some sort of entertainment to keep her occupied, a couple of little snacks or something if she gets hungry, and not paying any attention to her or attending to her needs. And putting those full size pancakes the middle of the table where the kid could not get at them, not seeing that she got to eat those pancakes, heck, I think I would cry too!

IMO, the owner was wrong to yell at the kid, calling her names, although I can understand her frustration. She should have yelled at the parents, or maybe, telling them sooner that they either get the kid's crying under control or leave.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:42 PM

503 posts, read 1,026,114 times
The business owner may have over reacted but, as a paying customer out for a relaxing good time I would expect the owner to do something about a screaming kid or kids because the parents have no respect for those around them and deal with the situation. There are most likely people there that are there because it's date night and they are there to get away from their own whinny noisy kids for one evening. Then they encounter someone like this and just ruins the evening for them and everyone else in the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine