Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:07 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times

Advertisements

Aside from flush toilets and outhouses, does anyone have personal knowledge of composting toilets for year round use?

I have been contemplating one as described by the good folks that build ready-made garages, camps, sheds and barns. I believe they are of Amish or Mennonite heritage.

The good, the bag and the ugly, lay it on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
If it is always warm it can work well for a small family. If it freezes it takes a while to thaw, warm up and for the surviving bacteria to get back into action. During that time period it's good to have a hospital type commode with a 5 gallon bucket as a backup.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:55 PM

I have one of those backups.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
When we were designing our home, we got on the mailing lists of every composting toilet manufacturer.

We really wanted to do a composting toilet, viewing them as being far more 'green'.

But my DW had a huge obstacle when it comes to the idea of the odor of a composting toilet. We have seen them in operation, and we see them at the fair.

When we were putting in the floor and coming near the point of having to make a final decision, we were given a toilet and matching bathroom sink. So that is what I installed.

I have fought flushing toilets at every home we have lived in, when they work they are okay. But when they decide to stop flushing I hate them.

I made a vow years ago, that other than for our rental units I will never again pay money for a poorly designed flush toilet.

I have problems also with sitting on a round toilet bowl, I need an oval toilet bowl. And I have issues with how high many American flush toilets have the puddle.

I think that I would really prefer a composting toilet, but I let my DW and circumstances lead me into having an old flush toilet.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 PM

I have no respect nor use for flush toilets. I can't imagine any other kind of toilet being a worse option. Trouble with flush toilets follow me everywhere I go. Doesn't matter if it's mine or someone else's. They see me and they go on strike. I have been embarassed by them way too many times. I have TWO plungers by every toilet I have ever owned. New homes and old, stick built or mobile. Makes no difference. It's almost to the point that I would far prefer an outhouse - and I am leaning in that direction.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I have no respect nor use for flush toilets. I can't imagine any other kind of toilet being a worse option. Trouble with flush toilets follow me everywhere I go. Doesn't matter if it's mine or someone else's. They see me and they go on strike. I have been embarassed by them way too many times. I have TWO plungers by every toilet I have ever owned. New homes and old, stick built or mobile. Makes no difference. It's almost to the point that I would far prefer an outhouse - and I am leaning in that direction.
Wow.

I understand.

I sympathize.

I feel some of the same frustrations.

And I think that I can up the anti on your frustrations. I do not like to be 'splashed'. When I drop a bit of waste product which then makes a splash and fouled water splashes my dangling bits. Nor when some toilets have such a high puddle that my dangling bits dangle into the puddle of soiled water.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Enough dangling please!!!:
Already heard much too much!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 PM

I am sorry did I use a bad phrase?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Wow.

And I think that I can up the anti on your frustrations. I do not like to be 'splashed'. When I drop a bit of waste product which then makes a splash and fouled water splashes my dangling bits. Nor when some toilets have such a high puddle that my dangling bits dangle into the puddle of soiled water.
Oh, you wanna talk about splashes? I've been splashed too, not because of any dangling bits on me - but have felt it on my backside. But that's not the worst of it - then there are the times I've had an upset stomach and there I am, bending over looking at that puddle to upchuck and getting splashed in the face.

Naw. I just don't see how any other option could possibly be worse.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Bad? - no!! Just a bit too descriptive for personal taste
Perhaps I should just bow out gracefully from this thread.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine