Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 06:22 PM

136 posts, read 327,732 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been enjoying a delicious breakfast lately, here in freezing St. Paul, MN, and I thought of you cold Mainers. The wind chills here have been below zero for a couple of weeks, and it is cold, cold, cold. I found this recipe on the Food Network website - it is from Alton Brown. The recipe did not work for me as written on the website, so here is my version:

Overnight Oatmeal

I bought a 1 and a half quart "chefmate" crock pot at Target for this - it did not work in my big crockpot. This recipe also halves perfectly in my little crock pot.

1 cup of steel cut oats
(I get organic steel cut oats in bulk at Whole Foods for 89 cents a pound)
3 cups of water
half cup of half and half (you can also use whole or 2% milk)

Put in crock pot and set to low overnight - anywhere from 7 to 9 hours seems to work.

In the morning, put anything on it you'd like - dried fruit, fresh fruit, cinnamon, etc.

I hope this works for you - Enjoy!
You can check out the original recipe online for more ideas and versions.

Last edited by Family of five; 01-23-2008 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: words out of order
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 06:26 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Thank You very much, that was thoughtful. I like "Good Eats".

Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
I love steel cut oats, and thick oats.. none of that regular commercial stuff! I only have a big crock pot and at present am on a low-carb diet... but I will file this thread away in my mind as I am only 15 lbs from my goal and then will be able to enjoy oats sometimes... and my friend who will be moving to ME with me love them as well!

Thanks for the tip about the smaller crock pot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family of five View Post
My husband and I have been enjoying a delicious breakfast lately, here in freezing St. Paul, MN, and I thought of you cold Mainers. The wind chills here have been below zero for a couple of weeks, and it is cold, cold, cold. I found this recipe on the Food Network website - it is from Alton Brown. The recipe did not work for me as written on the website, so here is my version:

Overnight Oatmeal

I bought a 1 and a half quart "chefmate" crock pot at Target for this - it did not work in my big crockpot. This recipe also halves perfectly in my little crock pot.

1 cup of steel cut oats
(I get organic steel cut oats in bulk at Whole Foods for 89 cents a pound)
3 cups of water
half cup of half and half (you can also use whole or 2% milk)

Put in crock pot and set to low overnight - anywhere from 7 to 9 hours seems to work.

In the morning, put anything on it you'd like - dried fruit, fresh fruit, cinnamon, etc.

I hope this works for you - Enjoy!
You can check out the original recipe online for more ideas and versions.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Sounds delicious, family of five. Thanks so much!!

As long as I can add pure Maple syrup, I will eat anything for breakfast.
It even is a bit chilly mornings here in AZ!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 AM

136 posts, read 327,732 times
You are welcome! It is so wonderful to have a hot breakfast waiting for us when we wake up. Right now the temperature outside (not the wind chill - the actual temp) is 14 below zero!

My favorite thing to put on the oatmeal is pure maple syrup - can't beat it!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
Yummy...my husband and daughter are oatmeal fanatics.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:02 AM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I had thought that Whole Foods was a very expensive place to shop for gourmet foods;
(never been to one); the price you quoted for the thicker steel cut oat meal seems really good! If I go near a Whole Foods again, (none near me here) I will check it out. thanks. The hot ceral sounds scrumptious! I love hot cereal on a cold morning...and out here 40 is a cold shivery kind of morning!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Actually, I prefer to buy rolled oats from the feed store - in 50# bags. Occasionally, the flakes are a bit larger than what I like, so I toss em in a blender for a couple seconds and the result sure looks like the store bought stuff to me. Costs about 17 cents a pound at the feed store. Works great in oatmeal cookies exactly the way it comes out of the bag.

I bin buying my oatmeal same time I pick up feed for livestock for years. And it hasn't hurt me a bit... a bit.... a bit..... a bit.... a bit....

a bit.....
a bit......
a bit...

Old 01-25-2008, 12:44 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,758 times
Oooh haven't done that in awhile. I must go get some steel cut oats. By the way this will save for a few days as leftovers and reheat nicely in the micro. Yum!

Old 01-25-2008, 04:18 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Wheat berries, Barley, Oats, 'Crimped' Corn [though they sell it called: "Flaked Corn"]

uh, right now we are out of Oats, but we stock the rest.

$11-ish per bag. We used to stock grains back when we got them for $5-ish a bag.

My DW has been talking to her sister about starting a grain Co-Op across the road from us on her land. My DW is doing the background checking on prices and needs to write a business plan. My SIL writes grants as a part of her job. They may be applying for a grant to start an 'Organic Grain Co-Op' here.

I just don't know how much interest there would really be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine