Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:05 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

I have a 24hp Massey/Ferguson, no cab. With a 5 foot wide snow-blower I am able to clear our 100-yard driveway with four passes. Though I may do ten passes just to make it pretty.

When snow-blowing, as the wind shifts directions at times you get some snow drifting back at you. I suspect that if I had a cab the outside of it would get coated with blow-back a half-dozen times. The glass would need to be heated very warm to clear all of that.

I tend to wear dark brazing goggles. A towel over my head and tucked into my jacket [behind, into my sleeves and in front] to keep the snow off my neck and from going down my back. When my goggles get coated with snow, it is easy to wipe them off with the back of a glove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 02:18 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
I have a pair of Army surplus arctic mitts that go almost up to my elbows. The back of each mitt has chamois leather made for wiping goggles. They are not often seen. If you see a pair in a surplus store and they fit, Buy Them!

Old 08-02-2015, 11:02 AM

348 posts, read 416,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have a pair of Army surplus arctic mitts that go almost up to my elbows. The back of each mitt has chamois leather made for wiping goggles. They are not often seen. If you see a pair in a surplus store and they fit, Buy Them!
Again learning things I didn't know! I had a pair of mitts just like that when I was a kid in Missouri. Pretty sure the "Scott's Bargain Barn" we went to had a lot of military surplus. I always wondered why they had that soft suede type patch on the back.
I used to wear them sledding.

-T.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:21 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,112 times
Any clue what those things run? I could use a pair of those skiing. Even moreso if they are warm for my bad finger for the next few years.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:00 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
Any clue what those things run? I could use a pair of those skiing. Even moreso if they are warm for my bad finger for the next few years.
www.mainemilitary.com

They have a couple different styles of mittens/liners for around $30

They also carry 100% wool felt shirts for $7 and pants for $30.

Snow shoes, traps, etc.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Thanks for all the info. The cab on the tractor is an idea I got from my FIL who does the snow removal thing in NB. With a good storm he may be gone over 12 hours and will sometimes leave very early in the morning so his regular customers going to work can get out easier. He has a 7' blower and a custom bucket that holds like 3 times what his dirt bucket will hold. The new machine he just got in April is a 73HP Kioti with a fully heated cab (and A/C) and XM radio. His old machine he traded in for that was a 55HP Kioti. With 17 storms last year and 30-40 customers he was busy throughout the snow season. He has quite an operation going on.

Thanks again, all, for the participation in this thread. Still mulling over the logistics of a move of 2200 miles with some of my accumulated "stuff".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine