Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:13 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times

Advertisements

Sled Dogs on Vacation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
OMG! How cute!! I guess they have to rest and thaw sometimes.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:09 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
msina, that's hysterical!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:23 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Msina, do you supposed those are the dogs NMLM was talking about - since he doesn't have his team of dogs any more?

Old 01-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I didn't post on this thread earlier because I no longer have dogs or race.
You mean to tell me you have a wealth of sled dog stories and are holding out on us?

Old 01-26-2008, 05:12 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
There I was, at a sled dog race in Greenville, Maine. The novice class was running and I went out to a trail intersection to help out. Two kids about 12 years old each were running 4 dog teams. Unknown to anybody, one of the females on one team was coming into "season". As one team came out of the loop the other one was approaching. Thh first tream stopped and a dog from the second team leaned over and took a sniff. The fight was on!. Eight huskies all tied together in one big ball and trying to kill each other. I grabbed the tails of the two most serious aggressors and lifted their back ends off the ground. I stood on one leg and was kicking a third dog away.

The kids stood there with their mouths open. I yelled, "Feel free to join in any time!" We got it sorted out and the teams made it back to the finish line. A husky can't fight if his hind legs are not on the ground.

The whole purpose of wading into something like that is to prevent injury to the dogs. They understand one thing. The driver or a man is the leader. They know that if they start a fight they are going to come out second best. A husky never wins a fight if there is a person present. We can't allow it.

Another thing about sled dogs; Anybody at a race can walk up to any husky and hold him such as at the starting line or finish line. It has to be that way. You can't risk having a dog that bites people in that environment. As puppies are trained the owner intoduces them to as many strangers as possible. Huskies are cute so most people want to go and pet them anyway. That is encouraged.

Do not bring your peekapoo or beagle to a sled dog race. Huskies won't tolerate them. One snap and shake can kill a smaller dog. Huskies are not good around smaller animals.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 PM

I guess it's a good thing my team of french poodles will stand taller than the huskies. Not to worry NMLM, they will all be males.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,802 times
Smile Mushing in Maine Links

Here's some links to Maine Mushing

Bear River Mushing Co. - Bear River Mushing Co. (Newry)
http://www.mushersbowl.com/-Bridgeton (broken link) area Mushers' Bowl Winter Carnival -
Welcome to Mushing Boot Camp with Jamie Nelson and Ann Stead - Mushing boot camp
Welcome To Maine Highlands Sled Dog Challenge & Maine State Sled Dog Championship - Main Highlands sled dog challenge races
Maine Made Dog Sleds - Maine Made Dog Sleds
Maine Dog Sledding Adventures; Nahmakanta Lake Camps; Millinocket, Maine - maine sled dog adventures (near Baxter State Park)
Mahoosuc Guide Service (http://www.mahoosuc.com/dogsledding.html - broken link) - Mahoosuc guide service sled dogs (Newry)

http://www.newenglanddogsledding.com/- (broken link) New England Dog Sledding-

CAN-AM CROWN INTERNATIONAL SLED DOG RACE - CAN AM CROWN (OF MAINE) Sled dog race (Fort Kent)

Dog Sled Rides in Maine - Sled Dog Races in maine

MooseCountrySafaris.com - Moose Country Safaris and Sled Dog trips - (Sangerville)

Down East Sled Dog Club - Down East Sled Dog Club

100 mile wilderness sled dog race
100-Mile Wilderness Sled Dog Race

Muddy Paw Dog Sled Kennel
Muddy Paw Sled Dog Kennel, offering dog sled rides, dog sled tours, and dog sled adventures in NH at the Mount Washington Resort in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire. (new hampshire)

Kathadin Valley outfitters Sled Dog trips (Sherman)
Maine Dog Sledding at Katahdin Valley Outfitters (http://www.katahdinvalley-outfitters.com/dogsled.html - broken link)

Old 01-28-2008, 11:08 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Holy Cow! It looks like msina is having a sled dog race in Brownville. Check out the 100 mile wilderness race link.

I used to help out at the Sandwich Notch 60 miler in NH. One time a driver fell into a brook. Other drivers were worried about him. By the time the wet driver got to the next check point he was steaming and didn't want to stop. That's the difference when you are wearing high bulk polyester clothing.

Cotton kills.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
There are a lot more races than I was aware of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine