Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:26 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,879,428 times

Advertisements

We've never purchased seperate snow tires; we use high quality all-season radials and do just fine. I go with either Michelin or BF Goodrich.

For some reason, the one time I had Goodyears on a vehicle they acted like nail magnets. I can't tell you how many I picked up in those tires.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:17 PM

1,667 posts, read 4,369,025 times
Bridgestone Blizzaks, hands down. Best snow tire out there, IMHO. My gal put them on her Mini Cooper recently, and they make it a different car in the snow - she loves em.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:19 PM

1,667 posts, read 4,369,025 times
Furthermore, you can order online from TireRack.com and the price will get them delivered to your door....I'd even suggest getting a set of wheels and have them mounted up for snow season, that way you don't have to keep taking tires on and off your wheels at the end of the season (hard on the bead). Have a set of all-seasons, then a set of snows.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:49 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,611,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Don't you love it when msina "talks tires".
You ain't heard nuthin yet - just get me started on tires. I love tires - big ones, little ones, ones with holes in em, beyond repair tires and tires that have nowhere else to go will all find me reaching out my arms to them, taking them in and giving them a whole other use that will keep them being useful well into the next century - & beyond. But then, that has nothing to do with the original poster's concern. So I've managed to refrain.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:25 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
We've never purchased seperate snow tires; we use high quality all-season radials and do just fine. I go with either Michelin or BF Goodrich.

For some reason, the one time I had Goodyears on a vehicle they acted like nail magnets. I can't tell you how many I picked up in those tires.
I agree with BacktoNE. We use good all season tires on my work truck and our mini van.

I always get the road hazard insurance as in my line of work I'm always getting nails in the tread or the side walls ripped apart on rocky, tree branch covered site.

We usually buy at Tire Warehouse or VIP as they both rotate and balance when ever you want them to at no additional charge. I generally get all the mileage out of the tires we buy.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:52 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
The Bridgestones are good, but In my opinion the Firestone Winterforce tires are the very best. Most of the car and truck magazines agree. We have a set of 4 on my wife's AWD van. They are studded. We have a second set of tires and wheels for summer use. That is the ultimate gonzo strategy for Maine driving; Complete dedication to both winter and summer driving.

I have something similar for my truck. I have a GMC crew cab. My tires are Bridegestone Duravis M700 10 plys with an aggressive tread because I spend a lot of time on dirt roads, woods roads and the occasional skidder trail. I also have a set of summer tires on identical GM alloy rims. Next fall I'll replace them with Winterforce studded tires. Yes, we are serious about tires.

I too recommend you stay with the all season radials for your Forester until next fall IF they have decent tread left. Just put the ones that are worn on the rear if they will pass inspection. If you buy Winterforce tires in the fall you must decide whether to stud them BEFORE mounting them on the vehicle. You can't run new tires for a month and then stud them. Sand will have gotten into the stud holes and of you inject studs in there with the sand the sand will eat right through to the inside of the tire and develop leaks. Putting tubes in there later will not solve the problem.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:42 PM

307 posts, read 1,590,174 times
Default Ignorant here!

Ok, what's this about studding tires? They put something in the tire? Mind you, I've spent my adult car owning years living in non-snow environments!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:55 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Ok, what's this about studding tires? They put something in the tire? Mind you, I've spent my adult car owning years living in non-snow environments!
That's when I put them on for you.

Oh man, that's wrong, even for me!

Here is a site that explains it far better than I would. Winter Tech - Metal Studs For Winter Tires
As a side note, the tires they are using for illustration in the article are the Winterforce tires.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:56 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Snow tires and some all season radials have little holes in patterns for the insertion of carbide studs. They provide much improved traction on ice and hard packed snow. They are legal to use in Maine from around October 20 to April 15. (Somebody correct me on this.) You must take them off your vehicle outside of those dates. Only those who are dedicated winter drivers use them.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:02 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Snow tires and some all season radials have little holes in patterns for the insertion of carbide studs. They provide much improved traction on ice and hard packed snow. They are legal to use in Maine from around October 20 to April 15. (Somebody correct me on this.) You must take them off your vehicle outside of those dates. Only those who are dedicated winter drivers use them.
That, then, will likely include me. I ran 4 studded snows ever year in WA state and the only problem I ever had was once, when I hadn't got them put on, yet...

I'll let K make up his own mind... For the Forester, this year, we are getting new all-seasons this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine