Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:44 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,075,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
There I was... knee high to a grasshopper and loving everything about my life in Maine - Kennebunkport, to be exact. Even if the dead fish were particularly hostile. But that's another thread...

It wasn't my idea to move and my opinion didn't seem to matter. At the age of 8, that was the story of my life. I'm not even sure why we moved, other than it had something to do with my maternal grandmother in Ohio. My dad and everyone on his side of the family was from Maine. It was where he wanted to be.

Well, you know how women are about their mothers...

So I made the best of being in Ohio. But I always knew one day I would return to Maine, to be home again.

Then life threw a curve ball in my direction. Just when I thought I would leave Ohio and go back to Maine to make a life for myself there, a health issue got worse. It wasn't fun. Several doctors recommended a different climate. VERY different climate - hot and dry or hot and humid. Pick one. The one I didn't want picked me. I stayed in FL (for my health) 29 years and hated it for 30. I subscribed to the York County Coast Star serving Kennebunkport. If I couldn't live there, at least I could read about it. The prices scared me. I could never afford to live there. What had happened to my little town?

Then cousins bought property in Maine and suggested I stop looking at Kennebunkport - start looking at other areas, further north, for example. It was several years before I followed that advice. Found a real estate company that gave you all the information you would ask of a realtor without actually having an agent expecting you to make an offer. Gosh, the prices were much more appealing! I took a vacation from work and went property hunting. I bought my place in Penobscot County in 2003.

I've been trying to get it up and running and year-round ever since. Maybe this year...

lived in kennebunkport for a couple years many moons ago, use to walk out on the breakwaters at the mouth of kennebunk river,,pretty area!!

congratulations, alice on finally coming home!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,587,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
lived in kennebunkport for a couple years many moons ago, use to walk out on the breakwaters at the mouth of kennebunk river,,pretty area!!

congratulations, alice on finally coming home!!
Thank you. I'm not there yet. Close, but not yet.

What is now the Captain Lord Inn was my aunt Julie's house. I used to ride my trike down the long corridor from the front door to the back door.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 AM

16,607 posts, read 15,556,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

..... coming north on Route 1 was a skidder towing a barber shop on two hemlock logs. The trooper slammed on his brakes, grabbed his citation book and jumped out. .....

The trooper thought about it for a minute and pictured himself standing before the judge. "Yes, Your Honor, I did stop that barber shop for speeding on Route 1." ..... .

Somebody has to ask these questions, It might just be the job for me. What is the speed limit for a barber shop on Route 1? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 AM

6,621 posts, read 13,484,441 times
I don't know about a barber shop but a cabin on tamarack skids pulled behind a pickup at 6 am goes 5 mpg on Rt 1. The former cabin is my hen house.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,600,167 times
There you go. See? A barber shop going north and a camp going south; why we are going to need a traffic light just to control the buildings sliding along on US Route 1. Speed limits? To paraphrase the bandit in the Sundance Kid, "We don' need no steenkin speed limits."

I'll tell you one thing; This would never happen on US Route 1 in Kennebunkport or any point south of that either.

5 mpg huh? What kind of pickup is that?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 AM

281 posts, read 1,052,668 times
Stuck in Georgia I have these Maine window decals. Let me tell you why...

The call of Maine is her people, quiet and steadfast. They may not always have a kind look but the generations of hard lives have weathered through their existence. Never fear for they will always be there for you in your time of need, weather your house was burnt down near Christmas or you were stuck on the side of the road. You see we take care of our own and we protect what is ours.

The memories are so many but what I hear most is its people. The trooper that can let a barber Shop go down Rte 1, the canner, the old shoe shop worker, the old race track hound, the fisherman, the potato farmer, the single mom struggling to heat her home, and today’s generation that refuses to leave Maine and wants to make it a better place.

The military took me far away from my home and dropped me off in the flatlander place, someday I will come home, but for now I carry her people in my heart.

Last edited by CreditWitch; 01-28-2008 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: bad spelling

Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 AM

6,621 posts, read 13,484,441 times
Quote:
5 mpg huh? What kind of pickup is that?
That would have been terrible. How about 5 mph. Pretty soon we're gonna need a stop sign in town if buildings keep moving. It happens often and that's not counting outhouses and ice shacks. Traffic jam!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:46 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,738,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditWitch View Post
Stuck in Georgia I have these Maine window decals. Let me tell you why...

The call of Maine is her people, quiet and steadfast. They may not always have a kind look but the generations of hard lives have weathered through their existence. Never fear for they will always be there for you in your time of need, weather your house was burnt down near Christmas or you were stuck on the side of the road. You see we take care of our own and we protect what is ours.

The memories are so many but what I hear most is its people. The trooper that can let a barber Shop go down Rte 1, the canner, the old shoe shop worker, the old race track hound, the fisherman, the potato farmer, the single mom struggling to heat her home, and today’s generation that refuses to leave Maine and wants to make it a better place.

The military took me far away from my home and dropped me off in the flatlander place, someday I will come home, but for now I carry her people in my heart.

Lovely post- straight from the heart
Wishing you a return someday....

Old 01-28-2008, 12:41 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,600,167 times
A couple of truckers with southern accents were talking on their CBs and wondered what all these Mainers were doing moving their outhouses at this time of year. Some Mainer came on and said they were bringing them to have the seats fur lined.

"Uh. OK. That makes sense I guess," says the trucker. "It sure is cold enough."

Old 01-28-2008, 03:10 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,635,565 times
Quote:
A couple of truckers with southern accents were talking on their CBs and wondered what all these Mainers were doing moving their outhouses at this time of year. Some Mainer came on and said they were bringing them to have the seats fur lined.

"Uh. OK. That makes sense I guess," says the trucker. "It sure is cold enough."
I am guessing they were hauling fishing shanties to put on the frozen lakes, right?

Though having used an outhouse through more than one northern winter... I can see the reason for the fur, as long as everyone was careful <g>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine