Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:42 AM

793 posts, read 1,342,445 times

Advertisements

No, Sub...We are in Bangor occasionally, as some of my family is in the Ellsworth area, and since you're from CA, we'll definitely take it under consideration.

Seriously, I told Mr. Flyer that next time someone recommends a Mexican place, without sounding too arrogant, I'm going to try and find out everywhere they've lived before we try their recommendation. I take all reviews with a grain of salt these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 07:30 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Dislike: I also miss the abundance of exceptional ethnic restaurants that Ca. offered.
This. Maine holds its own well with America cuisine utilizing local ingredients. The ethnic offerings are weak. Like you, I spent a lot of time getting excited about recommendations and then being disappointed. Portland has some restaurants that are excellent and would be notable anywhere. But in my experience, if it's ethnic (even just Italian), it's not on par with what I've had outside of Maine. To be fair, very few places on the East Coast do Mexican well (I've been to some great spots in DC and New York). There are better Mexican places here in Boston than anything I've had in Maine, but I miss the dozens of awesome hole in the walls in San Francisco's Mission or the seemingly endless supply in Tucson. I've had better tacos in a gas station in Dallas than I've ever had on the East Coast.

In Maine I missed Korean, Portuguese, real Chinese, Eastern Caribbean cuisine, Japanese (yakitori, soba, etc), Italian (even the best doesn't really compare with what you'll find in Boston or Federal Hill in Providence), Brazilian, etc.

Hard to fault Maine. Ethnic foods are derived largely from the ethnic groups that live in a place and Maine isn't very diverse. Portland's a great food town, but not if you're looking for ethnic variety. Maine's a great food state, but again, not if you're looking for ethnic variety.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 AM

22,915 posts, read 28,260,195 times
I grew up in New Mexico, where we have REAL Mexican food, not the "surfer dude" Mexican food of California. Really good Mexican food is indeed hard to find in Maine. The best ones are the ones owned and operated by Hispanic families, like Pancho Villa in Brunswick. But even there, don't expect the haute cauture Mexican food. It's just plain good blue collar Mexican food.

It is still hard, if not impossible, to find a real tortilla in Maine. I have my relatives bring them from New Mexico when they visit.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:32 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,611 times
Well, we've lived in Bangor, Dixmont, Verona, Holden, Hermon, New Hampshire, California and the Caribbean. Born in Bangor six decades ago. I'll say the same thing I've been saying for over 30 years: I really don't want to live anywhere else, but you sure have to get out of here on a regular basis. We started traveling out of the Country (Mexico, Asia, S. America, Caribbean etc.) in the 1980's. Been in nearly every State except AK and HI. The myopic view of the LePage lovers (and I'm registered Republican), and related bigotry, is cured by regular travel and interaction with people in other countries. Some societies couldn't function on a straight-up republican point of view. Limited resources, too many people.

What bugs me most about Maine these days (besides 7' of snow outside the front door) is the specious claims that only certain people have an exclusive right to the Constitution, but the same ilk are more than happy to overcome the Constitution to further their own goals. They clearly don't understand the document itself. It's no longer my Father and Grandfather's Republican Party. It's a bought and paid for sound bite. I'm all for the 2nd Amendment, but you also have the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th and 14th that often cause problems for the neocons. Claiming that one side or the other has been "ignoring the Constitution" is a weak minded talking point fed to the wide eyed followers by the monied extremes. Hopefully we will have someone with a brain to vote for in the next gubernatorial election. We had nobody to vote for in the last. And the next presidential election is shaping up to be a train wreck of candidates on both sides. Bigots and power mad nutcases. Kinda like our Gov. Both sides of the aisle.

If it gets much worse, maybe the time will come to get another boat, call it the "Republic of Maineac," and once again sail off into the sunset to distant lands. There's no balance any more. No social conscience tempered with fiscal conscience. Just money driving the far right bus, no intellect, just repeated droning that's bought and paid for talking points. "You're either with us or against us." It's sad, because we love Maine, but it's tough to put up with some of the outright misinformation campaigns spewing from people who fervently believe, but simply don't realize they're being led and lied to by the almighty $$.

Last edited by Maineac; 09-03-2015 at 08:43 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 AM

What Maineac said.

The right also isn't a big fan of the 15th Amendment. They insist we have to have photo ID to vote, but somehow a valid ID to buy a gun is huge infringement on their rights.

Both political parties are run by power-hungry nut jobs these days.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:05 AM

793 posts, read 1,342,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I grew up in New Mexico, where we have REAL Mexican food, not the "surfer dude" Mexican food of California. Really good Mexican food is indeed hard to find in Maine. The best ones are the ones owned and operated by Hispanic families, like Pancho Villa in Brunswick. But even there, don't expect the haute cauture Mexican food. It's just plain good blue collar Mexican food.

It is still hard, if not impossible, to find a real tortilla in Maine. I have my relatives bring them from New Mexico when they visit.
Pancho Villa is actually good? Who'd have thunk it? I'll admit, we've never tried it, because of the reasons I mentioned earlier and also because there's never any cars in their lot.

I hear you on real versus surfer dude, which I guess is the same as Tex-Mex. I'll admit, I like both, though they can be quite different. It's like home-made macaroni and cheese vs. the box stuff. Usually I make home-made, but one of my sons prefers the box stuff. (The nerve of that kid!) I'll eat a serving and ya know, sometimes it hits the spot...Also, I worked in a couple of authentic Italian restaurants in SF. I can't tell you how many tourists would ask, "THIS is Italian?! Where's the tomato sauce? Where's the cheese?" ::Sigh::

On another note...Wow, you've lived in very different states, Mark. NM to WA must have been quite a change....What did you dislike so much about WA? I ask because we're considering moving back to the west coast in a couple of years and we're not sure of which state yet.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:19 AM

332 posts, read 504,746 times
Although I am still in upstate NY, I just closed on a house in Waterville, the town I was born and raised in.
For me, Maine is home. Simple.

When I am in Maine, it is always a bit of culture shock - the accents (I never had one), the lack of consumer choices, the reliance on oil heat. But I am also struck by the warmth and cordiality of the folks I encounter.

I love the Maine landscape - we have mountains and woods, and water everywhere. Space to roam in. Fertile soils. Terrific state parks.

I don't like the boorish political scene that has taken root, but you can find that anywhere.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
What did you dislike so much about WA? I ask because we're considering moving back to the west coast in a couple of years and we're not sure of which state yet.
Traffic. Worst in the nation. I had a 15 mile daily commute. Here in Maine, that would take me 15 minutes IF I hit all the red lights. In the Seattle/Tacoma area, that is a 45 minute drive if you're lucky. Some days, it took well over 90 minutes.

Criminally overpriced real estate. Washington State is a great place to live if you are rich. If you are not rich, you will be living in the 'hood. We were living in a solid middle class neighborhood, yet we had Crips living across the street.

Earthquakes. I was in a major one. I have no desire to do it again. With adverse weather conditions in Maine, you can prepare or get out of the way. With an earthquake, you hold on and hope for the best. And the Big One hasn't hit yet. It is actually past due, as is Mt. Rainier's next major eruption, which will wipe out civilization in the Puget Sound area.

Urban sprawl. In Washington you have the choice of living in rural areas where the best employers are the meth cooks, or in the urban areas for jobs where you'll live cheek to jowl in bad neighborhoods.

A legal system broken beyond repair. The cops have given up even trying to enforce all but the most heinous crimes. In the last apartment we lived in, the local Russian mob was running prostitutes out of the apartment right next to the playground. In the last house we lived in, the crips were dealing drugs and prostitutes out of the house in broad daylight. When I asked a local cop what could be done about it, he was quite honest. He told me, "Move. Yeah, I could arrest these guys. But they'll be back on the street the day after tomorrow because judges don't consider this a crime worth prosecuting unless the girls are under age or until someone gets shot. I'm basically just here to file a report so that you can make an insurance claim on this month's burglary. And you really shouldn't call the cops, or you will be the one getting shot."

Public schools are a mess. Over-crowded, and your kids will be in class with local gangbangers. Unless you can afford private school. But unless you are rich, you can't.

Two seasons. You have wet and dry. The dry season is about from June through late August. No rain, and it is mind-numbingly hot, since very few homes have AC. And you can't sleep with your windows open because the neighborhood is so bad. The rest of the year is constant wet. But not even real rain. It's more like living inside a wet sneeze for 9 months.

Lifestyle. Young people are the hipsters and slackers, who are more concerned that you got their espresso order correct so that they can wake up from the pot-fume breakfast and get back to "raising awareness" about their latest pet issue on their blog. And for the grown ups it's all about the next promotion, the newer car, and the bigger house. There is no sense of neighborliness. Only getting ahead.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:51 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
What Maineac said.

The right also isn't a big fan of the 15th Amendment. They insist we have to have photo ID to vote, but somehow a valid ID to buy a gun is huge infringement on their rights.

Both political parties are run by power-hungry nut jobs these days.

Every gun I've ever bought here in Maine required a valid ID.

bill

Old 09-03-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Every gun I've ever bought here in Maine required a valid ID.
Only because of them durned commie democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine