Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:22 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times

Advertisements

So do alot of mainers take time off work to hunt? Due to the subday ban? Alot of our hunters here in ma will take a day or two off to hunt. Thursday friday and saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 04:34 PM

625 posts, read 791,631 times
WE have no choice.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:05 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
So do alot of mainers take time off work to hunt? Due to the subday ban? Alot of our hunters here in ma will take a day or two off to hunt. Thursday friday and saturday.
We are retired so every day is Saturday. Hunt any day ( but Sunday).
I will say though as having moved off a mountain in Virginia- the deer know a weekend. They would hide on a weekend when the hunters moved in. At dusk- they would come out and graze in our yard.

If you want a non pressure hunt- hunt during the week...

Old 09-23-2015, 06:23 PM

Ive always wanted to work weekends, and have 2 days off during the normal week, everything stays open, no blue laws like this, and i get to enjoy nature alone.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:05 PM

Also if one was to hunt a animal woth a possession limit, and process it, would being in possession of the meat/jerky count towards your possession limit?

And how common are squirrels, rabbits, and all other manners of small critters up there?

Old 09-26-2015, 06:20 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
Landowners should charge hunters to use their land......would help with paying property tax.
I don't think going down the road Texas went is too desirable. Hikers, hunters, fishermen, and others all benefit from Maine's law allowing access to private lands. Mainers are not prisoners of their own property, confined to what they own, lease, or the public road.

Moreover, many of the larger landowners get major reductions in property taxes through timber growth or as ag land.

Charging a fee to use land brings a landowner into a murky area in state law on liability. Whereas a landowner is not liable for injuries or accidents if the general public accesses and uses their land, when a fee is charged the situation is more complicated and they may be liable.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:59 PM

Another thing i like about maine and other eastern states, if its not posted its "public". As you head out west it becomes needing permission all the time.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:25 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
Also if one was to hunt a animal woth a possession limit, and process it, would being in possession of the meat/jerky count towards your possession limit?

And how common are squirrels, rabbits, and all other manners of small critters up there?
lots of small critters up here....

many squirrels,,,i see on tv how squirrels are quite smart,,,,in mazes, obstacle courses to find food,,

yet they haven't quite mastered what a car is yet...

turkeys are said to be dumb,,,,,but at least they know if they run in front of a moving car,,, they will be run over,,,,squirrels haven't figured that out yet...

Old 09-29-2015, 10:15 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
He who hesitates is last.

They run half way across the rod, hesitate and dodge back and forth or the rest of their life, which is quite short. Some people do the same thing.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:27 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
lots of small critters up here....

many squirrels,,,i see on tv how squirrels are quite smart,,,,in mazes, obstacle courses to find food,,

yet they haven't quite mastered what a car is yet...

turkeys are said to be dumb,,,,,but at least they know if they run in front of a moving car,,, they will be run over,,,,squirrels haven't figured that out yet...
I wouldn't say " dumb" per say, but I do think the issue comes as not having a clue just how fast that car is moving.
I say this because we find that with our dogs and wildlife. We are forever on the look out within our own fenced in yard for wildlife should they get into the fence. It is painfully obvious that say a fox knows how fast a "regular" dog can run, but no clue at all that the breed of dog we have can run at a blistering 35 mph, and gone in in a second in a blazing sprint. Few other breeds of dogs can fly at this pace, and clearly it shows in the wildlife, if not familiar in observing our dogs- just how blazing fast they can fly.

A squirrel etc has no concept that a car, down the road- not a perceivable threat in distance, could possibly get to where they are in the time they perceive distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine