Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:59 PM

13 posts, read 28,976 times

Advertisements

I totally understand. Native Vermonters are exactly the same way. "Hibernation" during the long cold winters is common up here; when spring arrives people are happy to see everyone and then they "hibernate" again or go about their own personal stuff. I think the lack of desire to travel is a generational thing; the devotion to their livelihoods, etc. is understandable. We've met only nice people on our visits to Maine. The salt of the earth (or sea).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 03:00 PM

13 posts, read 28,976 times
I agree with you wholeheartedly that Maine Brokerman (I think that is who it was) did an excellent job explaining the daily life of a Maine lobsterman & his single mindedness as to providing for his family & doing the best he can in a very hard profession, however, the rewards of being on the sea truly must compensate for all those long grueling hours from early morning till late in the day. We often would watch their boats go out; a beautiful sight to behold. This may seem strange, but I could relate to their dedication to their job and their fatigue and weariness at the end of the day, justing wanting to go home, have supper and relax (over socializing), but most of all I could relate to the cracked fingers, etc., etc. as I am married to a bench jeweler who has been self employed for 40 years, 25 of those working at home and later opened a retail place. The occupational hazards of a bench jeweler involve lots of infected fingers so sore that even touching the tools of the trade become torture. It's all the polishing compounds, etc., etc. Can also relate to having to provide for oneself and family with "no benefits" as mentioned. Vermonters are not that much different than Maine folk..........as far as just wanting to be home at the end of the work day........they say they "roll up the streets" in our town. Everyone is inside. But, great explanation of the fishing industry in general. My husband did fish with his dad who had a larger boat at the Jersey shore (when he was a kid), but in Vermont, we only have Lake Champlain and a few resevoirs, etc. We have nothing but respect for the Maine lobstermen. Nicely done explanation by all.

Last edited by senior citizen; 04-09-2008 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine