Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,804,199 times

Advertisements

That's a bummer but as others have said it can happen anywhere. I know that area pretty well and even tho it's across the Back Cove from the downtown it's still a city location and with the HS being there I think you can have some bad kids attracted to that area.

While I wouldn't hesitate to leave my vehicle running in my driveway in Cumberland in the Deering area of Portland I would not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM

474 posts, read 1,413,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I saw a car parked at a church in Lincoln. It backed out of the parking spot and the driver door opened. A little boy about 4 years old jumped out and tried to stop the car by pushing on the door. I stopped my truck and ran for the car. Another guy coming toward me also stopped and ran for the car. He dove over the boy and pressed his hand on the brake just as I reached the car and grabbed the boy. In the car was his little sister and the car was backing toward the river.

The mother came out and cussed us out. The young man and I just looked at each other, shook hands and went on our ways without a word.

(I should say that this was about 15 years ago, but it still gives me chills to think about it.)
You know - some people shouldn't even have kids! Thank GOD that you were there to save those poor children. I hope they lived long enough to grow up and get away from that irresponsible person.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:37 PM

474 posts, read 1,413,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanfit185 View Post
So my wife’s car was stolen this morning at 6:50 AM. We live in the area near Deering High School in Portland. She started her car before she left for work and was inside maybe 5 minutes before she realized it was gone. In addition she left her purse in the car and her credit cards were used. They were used 3 different cards to purchase cigarettes about an hour south of Portland.

Now we have to pay big time! When you replace a credit card it is a $ 50.00 fee, with 4 credit cards missing that’s 200.00!

The insurance company only pays 20.00 a day for a rental car for 20 days. They wont pay anything for 21 days because the car my turn up. The best rate I could find for a same day pick up is $ 27.50. So that’s at least 177.50, plus fees and taxes! For a rental I am looking at $ 215.00!

Now, the insurance company, they have a minimum deductible of $ 250.00. In addition to that the car was left unlocked with the key in it. The insurance company may call that negligence and not pay anything! Considering we still owe $ 11,000.00 on the car that is my biggest worry!

So the minimum this is going to cost me is $ 665.00! And that is if I am lucky and the insurance company pays 100% for the car.

So take a lesson for me. Even if its cold, you can’t leave your car running with the doors unlocked. So unless you have a remote car starter, don’t do it!
Have they recovered the car yet?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 AM

106 posts, read 421,604 times
OK, it was a busy night last night and I think an update is in order....

Most importantly, the car was found. At 2:30 AM last night I received a call from a Police Sargent in southern Mass saying he has my car. Unfortunitly it was involved in a high speed chase and sustained "some damage". Thats all I know for now. But still, its exciting news.

Also, I was able to get a much better deal on a car rental. Avis hooked me up! The woman working at the counter was great! She felt so sorry when she herd the story. She was able to give us a rate well below $ 20.00/day and included a free upgrade to an SUV. Considering I lost a civic, I am very happy with Avis. They now have a life long customer.

Next, it turns out the credit card company is not charging any fees. It turns out the cards were all with Bank of American and they don't charge. Some company's will, btu not bank of America! Again, I was really happy with there service.

So it turns out I am really really lucky! Thanks for all the support. I hope everybody can learn from this.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 AM

932 posts, read 1,268,142 times
I'm so glad you got your car (hopefully its not damaged beyond repair!) AND a deal on a rental and don't have to pay fees to have your cards replaced!

Good news to hear this morning!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 AM

9,299 posts, read 11,045,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I saw a car parked at a church in Lincoln. It backed out of the parking spot and the driver door opened. A little boy about 4 years old jumped out and tried to stop the car by pushing on the door. I stopped my truck and ran for the car. Another guy coming toward me also stopped and ran for the car. He dove over the boy and pressed his hand on the brake just as I reached the car and grabbed the boy. In the car was his little sister and the car was backing toward the river.

The mother came out and cussed us out. The young man and I just looked at each other, shook hands and went on our ways without a word.

(I should say that this was about 15 years ago, but it still gives me chills to think about it.)
Tell me, is she in the senate or the house now?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 AM

106 posts, read 421,604 times
more info, I guess they guy they caught is just sum low life. He has family in Portland and the part of Mass he was caught in. I guess he needed a ride home, and my wifes car was already nice and warm for him, so he took it.

During the chase he rammed two cop cars and was rammed once himself before being caught. Three officers were injured during the chase. He is in custody in Mass now and being charge with multiple felonies… crazy stuff!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,206,363 times
Wow, you have a story that you can tell for the rest of your life. I hope things work out for the best!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,347,342 times
I'm sorry for what you've been through but, I'm glad things are turning a bit in your favor. I hope your insurance covers everything quickly.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:25 AM

12 posts, read 29,394 times
Good to hear you found your car. I can relate as I had my car stolen here in Belfast Maine the middle of January in broad daylight. It was about 14 years ago. I never locked my car and left it running downtown on main street while I did a quick transaction at the bank about 50 feet away. I was a single mom with a 4 year old and not having transportation that time of year is horrible. They finally did find the car in Augusta. One of the passengers left their wallet behind and they tracked all of em down. The punk driver ruined the transmission and dented the front fender. I had to go to court 5 times before I started receiving restitution and he ended up in juvie in Charleston. Let me tell you....I never leave my keys in the car now even at home. Maine isnt safe anymore from thugs and I feel its due to our poor economy and
the high rate of unemployed poor families living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine