Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:32 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmopolina View Post
<snip>at first I thought there was something wrong with my car, but then I got the point, this one time, this woman from Bangor tailgating and flashing lights, I pull over and she speeds by and throws a bunch of garbage out her window onto the road! But all this is just examples, in general there is a unwelcoming feeling, a resentment if they think you have money and this can be unsafe on the road. My son goes to the University here in Orono and ever since he drives a bit up old truck people stop bugging him. The volvo did not fare well at all. I do admit my post was negative, I apologize for that.
I usually drive the speed limit, so I guess I may get the same as you... and when tailgated, I tend to slow down (leave more length between me and the car in front, especially if the roads are not dry or otherwise conditions are less than ideal) so as to allow more breaking time and avoid getting rear-ended. Thus far, it has worked... But the pitching of the garbage out the window would really set me off... and I would likely find the first place to safely pull over (if there was any chance I could do so) , collect it and carry it on to proper disposal. Yeah I will admit to being weird.

It will be interesting to see the varying reaction to my beat up old Toyota pickup with an odd collection of bumper stickers and my friends newer, nice looking, unadorned Suburu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:11 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
My wife and I spent the afternoon looking at a nice little home in Milo today.

3bdrm cape with a separate garage on 1.5 acre lot for $39,900.

A fixer-upper but not bad.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:56 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Milo "A Friendly Town" and home of our very own msina! That makes it special!

Last edited by elston; 02-12-2008 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: can't force myself to make a disparaging remark about a region that others love and choose to live in bless its heart

Old 02-12-2008, 04:27 PM

11 posts, read 25,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Wow, I'm sorry you had such an awful experience. though we have discussed this many times throughout the Maine forums, I feel it bears repeating. Most people will treat you as you expect to be treated, anywhere you go. I had just the opposite reaction on our drive up as well as during our stay in Eastport (they even have live bands, poetry readings, and theatre). Also, though I may be misinformed, I understand the arts scene is well and alive in Maine.

It does seem like things are going better for you, and for that, I'm glad.

goes for me as well.I've lived here all my 51 years from Kittery to Mars Hill,and the biggest idiots are down country.You must try to understand,this isn't like other places.I've seen folks trying to get their loved ones to the hospita,running with flashers on,and some just will not pull over for a sec.Upe its understood,they move for you ...it could be their loved one.In places its60-100 milesto the hospital.......they aren't ALL like that and they all areb't poor either........

Old 02-12-2008, 05:13 PM

101 posts, read 357,317 times
Well, I have been lurking on this forum for about a month now and am finally going to post. Forest Beekeeper, could you tell me just what type of house is available in Milo for 39K? I've read many of your posts and can tell you are pretty knowledgeable about building, etc. Would this house be in need of a new roof, heating system, all plumbing replaced, and a total update of the electrical system (ie. fuses to circuit breakers)? Those are the things that consume lots of $$ and time in a rehab, before you even get to the insulation/sheetrock/kitchen cabinets/flooring/bathrooms. Hope you don't think I'm being nosey, I'm just curious...

I've read so many posts from people who want to move to Maine and some haven't ever even worn wool socks, warm boots or long underwear, operated a snowblower, driven in a snowstorm, or used a snowshovel. Some have even asked what hot water baseboard heating is. I just can't imagine the reality when they actually get to Maine and live through a winter--I'm kind of afraid for them and hope they know what they're really getting into.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:16 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cny2cnc View Post
I've read so many posts from people who want to move to Maine and some haven't ever even worn wool socks, warm boots or long underwear, operated a snowblower, driven in a snowstorm, or used a snowshovel. Some have even asked what hot water baseboard heating is. I just can't imagine the reality when they actually get to Maine and live through a winter--I'm kind of afraid for them and hope they know what they're really getting into.
I resemble those remarks! Can't wait for the adventure! Can't say I won't spend the first winter slightly blue tinged, but excited nonetheless!!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:24 PM

101 posts, read 357,317 times
I'm sure it will be an adventure, it will definitely be different than where you are now! I've lived in NC for the past three years and "winter" here is sometimes in the 30s, but mostly in the 50s or 60s. SO different than northern NYS where I lived before that, where it was frigid and snowed 300+ inches most winters. I hated having to snowblow at least twice a day but now I find that I really miss winter...

Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Btw, I love how you approached listing the "negatives" of living in a winter climate. That is the way I wish everyone would post - completely non-offensive.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
It's hopefully the one I AM GOING TO BUY... It is in "really bad shape" and the roof leaks, but it is all I can afford and I am moving come 29 FEB whether or not... so please... let me have at this one or I will end op on the street with a dog, 5 cats, 4 birds and a ill friend. The house in question has been vacant since the summer and I am told "some of the pipes have burst" ... for your list of "will it need..." I am going to say, likely, yes. And we will be living in while we do it, pay as you go, with me working and my friend being disabled.

I WILL blog the story, believe me...

There is an even more affordable one up for auction at RealtyBid - Online Real Estate Bidding - Residential, Condominiums, Commercial, Land, New Homes (no I have no investment in that website or the property). Passadumkeag, ME currnetly at under $5k. it has no heat... but does have 2 acres.

And by the way cny2cnc, welcome!

While I have not lived in Maine before, I DID raise my kids in Eastern WA state, off the grid, in a house that was heated only by wood and that had a privy out back. I am the "only son" of a dad who taught the building trades and have designed and built my own home (once... with the help of my dad as he was dying of cancer and my husband, who had flunked 9th grade wood shop) and designed and built a passive solar heating greenhouse/summer kitchen addition to the 100 YO house we owned in Wisconcin.. with the support and blessing of the local building inspector, who became my good buddy in the process. So yeah, I think I am up to not only Maine but a "project house" to boot! LOL

Quote:
Well, I have been lurking on this forum for about a month now and am finally going to post. Forest Beekeeper, could you tell me just what type of house is available in Milo for 39K? I've read many of your posts and can tell you are pretty knowledgeable about building, etc. Would this house be in need of a new roof, heating system, all plumbing replaced, and a total update of the electrical system (ie. fuses to circuit breakers)? Those are the things that consume lots of $$ and time in a rehab, before you even get to the insulation/sheetrock/kitchen cabinets/flooring/bathrooms. Hope you don't think I'm being nosey, I'm just curious...

Last edited by starwalker; 02-12-2008 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: adding thoughts

Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
With all due respect, I was asked to go look at that house for a friend.

It is listed on the MLS.

Built around 1900, 3bdrm, that had most recently been used as a rental. It has gone through countless re-models and it shows.

The previous owner was a sub-standard carpenter and screwed up the roof line connecting one addition, so it leaks where they connect.

The heating system is partly gutted.

It appears to have started long ago as a square box two story house. Then a front porch, that was later walled in, then the exterior wall was removed to open up a larger front room. Then a back porch was added, then walled in, then that exterior wall was removed to open up the inside. Then a side porch was added as a mudroom. It was all done by short people too, short ceilings.

As you drive around Maine, drive slowly. You will see small abandoned homes set back in the woods frequently in many areas.

Quote:
... I've read so many posts from people who want to move to Maine and some haven't ever even worn wool socks, warm boots or long underwear, operated a snowblower, driven in a snowstorm, or used a snowshovel. Some have even asked what hot water baseboard heating is. I just can't imagine the reality when they actually get to Maine and live through a winter--I'm kind of afraid for them and hope they know what they're really getting into.

And yesterday Northern Mich had -40.

No windchill either just -40.

Wow that would be cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine