Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:07 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times

Advertisements

Just a couple thoughts (good thread):
I probably shouldn't say this too loud, lest the word get out! But some people think of the County (where I live) as "old Maine". Or "the way Maine used to be". It's understandable. I was born in the early 60s and we drove around the state a fair amount when I was a kid, so I got a pretty good "feel" for what Maine was all about, and even as a kid I realized that something from my parents' and grandparents' time---that mythical Maine thing---was changing. I knew it was inevitable, and that progress was certainly bringing some good things to Maine too. But I knew that when I got back to the County that I was "stepping back in time" in some way. Things change awfully slow up here. Some things never really change at all. We've always been so remote.
Whatever else you might say about the County, it is pretty different from the rest of Maine (I've lived all over the state). And it is VERY different from any other place in the country. In a way that's hard to explain.
That said, a poster said you don't have to worry about getting your car stolen in Maine. Well, that's what I thought until I had my '91 Aerostar stolen one night, in the County, of all places! LOL The difference is that we all thought it was more hilarious than upsetting (just the IDEA of someone taking a car---much less THAT car--here in the County! It was just too much to believe).
Of course, the thief wasn't from around here...........a kid from Mass. On the run from Johnny Law. (If you think that made me stop leaving the car running while I was inside, you are mistaken lol). And it was actually STOLEN......unlike the typical joyride up here, when you just KNOW that your truck will, indeed, be found in the morning............either stuck in the middle of a potato field, or in the town park (hopefully not in the pond lol).
That leads to my final thought: the ONLY people "from away" that us County folks really wish would not come up here are those who are in some kind of trouble and are on the run, or parents who think that the County will somehow "cure" their punk kid. It almost never works, and often times innocent people from here end up getting hurt before the punk's family goes back to whereever it was they came from.
But generally we don't worry about people from away moving here, because we know it will never happen in very big numbers anyway. So there's nothing to worry about. (Now, I personally wish that not as many folks who move to Maine were "liberal".....but that's just me.)
Just saying!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Just a couple thoughts (good thread):
I probably shouldn't say this too loud, lest the word get out! But some people think of the County (where I live) as "old Maine". Or "the way Maine used to be". It's understandable. I was born in the early 60s and we drove around the state a fair amount when I was a kid, so I got a pretty good "feel" for what Maine was all about, and even as a kid I realized that something from my parents' and grandparents' time---that mythical Maine thing---was changing. I knew it was inevitable, and that progress was certainly bringing some good things to Maine too. But I knew that when I got back to the County that I was "stepping back in time" in some way. Things change awfully slow up here. Some things never really change at all. We've always been so remote.
Whatever else you might say about the County, it is pretty different from the rest of Maine (I've lived all over the state). And it is VERY different from any other place in the country. In a way that's hard to explain.
That said, a poster said you don't have to worry about getting your car stolen in Maine. Well, that's what I thought until I had my '91 Aerostar stolen one night, in the County, of all places! LOL The difference is that we all thought it was more hilarious than upsetting (just the IDEA of someone taking a car---much less THAT car--here in the County! It was just too much to believe).
Of course, the thief wasn't from around here...........a kid from Mass. On the run from Johnny Law. (If you think that made me stop leaving the car running while I was inside, you are mistaken lol). And it was actually STOLEN......unlike the typical joyride up here, when you just KNOW that your truck will, indeed, be found in the morning............either stuck in the middle of a potato field, or in the town park (hopefully not in the pond lol).
That leads to my final thought: the ONLY people "from away" that us County folks really wish would not come up here are those who are in some kind of trouble and are on the run, or parents who think that the County will somehow "cure" their punk kid. It almost never works, and often times innocent people from here end up getting hurt before the punk's family goes back to whereever it was they came from.
But generally we don't worry about people from away moving here, because we know it will never happen in very big numbers anyway. So there's nothing to worry about. (Now, I personally wish that not as many folks who move to Maine were "liberal".....but that's just me.)
Just saying!
What Maine coastal county would you say is today most like the old Maine--would it be Waldo, Hancock, or Washington?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 PM

[quote=mainegrl2011;12488661]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
It's sad that you apparently haven't felt that feeling of crossing the bridge heading north and knowing you're home....not even after driving to SC to visit your daughter and grand kids.
I have had the opposite experience: that of returning to New York City from vacationing in the country.

The feeling of returning to NYC was so sickening, that I stopped going away for vacation. Even when I was away from NYC, I wasn't happy because I knew that in a week or two I'd be going back.

As the end of vacation neared, every day was more depressing--it was like being on death row and counting down the last few days to your execution.

I am so happy that I can finally move to a rural state like Maine, and I know when I leave I will NEVER look back.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:25 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
What Maine coastal county would you say is today most like the old Maine--would it be Waldo, Hancock, or Washington?

Definitely Washington. The big difference is the whole waterfront thing.... even in Washington there are more and more mansions on the water. Mostly folks from away. While the rest of the folks, OFF the waterfront, are more ordinary, if you know what I mean.

We don't really have anything like that going on up here. No ocean! lol

Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Definitely Washington. The big difference is the whole waterfront thing.... even in Washington there are more and more mansions on the water. Mostly folks from away. While the rest of the folks, OFF the waterfront, are more ordinary, if you know what I mean.

We don't really have anything like that going on up here. No ocean! lol
Yes, but isn't the crime rate so high in Washington County that it would not really be like the old Maine?

Old 01-18-2010, 12:55 PM

396 posts, read 605,070 times
Oh trust me, I have had That" feeling many times when crossing the bridge. Mostly because I know its an hour or so, before I'm home.

Having been here now since I was 14, I do feel like I'm a Mainer, and proud to say so.

On that same note, I feel comfortable saying there are things "Missing" in Maine - FOR ME. I can also say, that many of the city's, towns and states I've visited were missing things to, but I can also say, that many of these same places had stuff "I'd" like to have access to here in MY home town of Auburn, ME.

That's not to say Maine is "Missing" anything, other then those things I'd like. I feel comfortable saying most Mainer's (with the exception of those who have never been out of state), there are things they'd like to see here. Be it a bigger, better Men's clothing store, or a type of food or restaurant, a kind of museum or any of those things folks drive to Boston or other areas to get, see, eat …

YES, the bottom line is Maine is a simply wonderful state, and so are it's people.

Skip

Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Yes, but isn't the crime rate so high in Washington County that it would not really be like the old Maine?
No.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
"That leads to my final thought: the ONLY people "from away" that us County folks really wish would not come up here are those who are in some kind of trouble and are on the run, or parents who think that the County will somehow "cure" their punk kid."

It works occasionally, but more often than not it does not work. As the Jesuits say; Give me a child until he is six and I will have him always.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:41 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Quote:
And where would you get the idea that Washington County has so high a crime rate? Yes we have crime but I doubt as high as the implication. at least I haven't seen it. Reference?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
Tinbender, it had to have been the "streaking" reports from last years' Valentine Speedo and Bikini run in Eastport that caused a spike in the stats. Some people have no sense of humor!

I agree hands down--The County and Washington County are "old Maine", and have a particular kinship because of it I think. I was in Presque Isle for quite a while on Friday, and spent a fair amount of time talking to a wide variety of people. It's just like being home. The conversation is easy and enjoyable, the atmosphere is different in a way that I can't explain--relaxed maybe? unhurried? hmmm, and there is a willingness and a desire to be friendly to people. Now, I'm sure that someone will come on here and say that it has to do with the two counties being "economically depressed" blah blah blah, and that's a crock. Really, for most of us that choose to live here, we appreciate the rhythm of life that promotes a certain degree of happiness, and that rhythm exists here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine