Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 11:55 AM

625 posts, read 786,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Yes, but be sure you have your federal certificate. Is your .357 a Desert Eagle? Revolvers
do not benefit much from suppressors. A lot of gas comes out between the cylinder and the barrel. The only .357 semi-auto I know of is the Desert Eagle.
What is a "federal certificate" cause I do not have one for my suppressors. Coonan make s a1911 in .307. The big benefit comes in when you use a .357 lever gun and shoot .38's out of it they can be very quiet. You cal also suppress a revolver though only ones like Dan Wesson do it well as you can tighten the barrel up to the cylinder. Coonan Inc – Store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
The switchblade repeal doesn't protect you from local ordinances that cities and towns with bored police that could attempt to use to get you on Class D crime, misdemeanor.
What town in Maine has any such ordinance?

Old 10-21-2015, 01:28 PM

631 posts, read 744,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
What town in Maine has any such ordinance?
I have no idea, but the state doesn't have "preemption" listed in the law, like Texas for example. Most probable locations where they are not legal: Orono, Old Town, Augusta, Portland, Kittery, Lewiston, Bangor, Brewer, Houlton, Presque Isle, Fort Kent, Farmington, Belfast, etc.

Tell you what, if you're confident enough about it, YOU carry one around. I talked to previous chief of police from Bangor and he told me that he thought switchblades were still illegal despite the passing of LD 264. Chances are you will still go to a jail cell and your item may even get confiscated regardless, even if it is legal.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:10 PM

18,336 posts, read 26,368,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
What is a "federal certificate" cause I do not have one for my suppressors. Coonan make s a1911 in .307. The big benefit comes in when you use a .357 lever gun and shoot .38's out of it they can be very quiet. You cal also suppress a revolver though only ones like Dan Wesson do it well as you can tighten the barrel up to the cylinder. Coonan Inc – Store
NFA registration/tax stamp.

The Nagant revolver is easily silenced but it's rather weak.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:03 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,093,189 times
So... no silencing my S&W 6 inch 22LR SS revolver, huh? Not that its really loud, but ear protection is good. Haven't had a place to fire it since I owned a camp way way out in the boonies of western Pennsylvania, which has been more than 7 years. Back then I liked the loud noises and I used to pile the exploding targets on top of each other. Three on top produced a huge noise.

Great fun!

Old 11-01-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
I have no idea, but the state doesn't have "preemption" listed in the law, like Texas for example. Most probable locations where they are not legal: Orono, Old Town, Augusta, Portland, Kittery, Lewiston, Bangor, Brewer, Houlton, Presque Isle, Fort Kent, Farmington, Belfast, etc.

Tell you what, if you're confident enough about it, YOU carry one around. I talked to previous chief of police from Bangor and he told me that he thought switchblades were still illegal despite the passing of LD 264. Chances are you will still go to a jail cell and your item may even get confiscated regardless, even if it is legal.
I do have one and I carry it now. And yes a le can arrest you for anything but if they arrest you for something not illegal then it will cost them far more then a few hours in cuffs. I have spoken to several on this matter and nobody knows of any local law that say having one would violate.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
NFA registration/tax stamp.

The Nagant revolver is easily silenced but it's rather weak.
It is just a tax stamp. I got a few.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
So... no silencing my S&W 6 inch 22LR SS revolver, huh? Not that its really loud, but ear protection is good. Haven't had a place to fire it since I owned a camp way way out in the boonies of western Pennsylvania, which has been more than 7 years. Back then I liked the loud noises and I used to pile the exploding targets on top of each other. Three on top produced a huge noise.

Great fun!
Well you can put a can on it but the gas escaping the front of the cylinder will make some sound. That said if you want to spend the money you can close the cylinder gap a bit. Single shot guns are the best to suppress the semi's next and revolvers last.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:28 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,093,189 times
I couldn't scare the hunters off my property I used to own in Western PA if I had used a silencer on my .357 mag. Of course, silencers were illegal in PA back then and may still be.

When I was still at the cabin on the first day of hunting season for a long weekend, I didn't want to get shot. So I would wonder around doing the multiple shot routine with the .357. Hunters generally consider anyone hunting with a handgun to be too crazy to be around. So the hunters would vacate my property "toot sweet".

Old 11-02-2015, 11:29 PM

Suppressors where never illegal in PA..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine