Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,523 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family and I are thinking of moving to Maine. Machias is first on our list and I have a specific question about it. First a little bit about ourselves:

-Originally from Mexico City. Transplanted to Cambridge, MA over 17 years ago. Two kids, one elementary, one middle school. Educator and software engineer, both can work from home, or tend to create their own opportunities.
-LOVE Maine Have camped there year after year. love nature, kayaking, seals, bald eagles, hinking, forests, bold coast......Maine, to us, especially having grown up in Mexico City, is a paradise. We want our children to grow up with nature because we believe that it is self empowering and a source of peace.

Visited Machias last year and loved it. Love the idea of a small community. have seen some properties online that we would love. Have dreamed about opening up our own coffee shop, bookshop, toy store, or something along the lines.

The question is: How receptive is the community in Machias to minorities and to small businesses owned by minorities?

Thanks a lot!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:11 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citystars2014 View Post
Hi everyone,

My family and I are thinking of moving to Maine. Machias is first on our list and I have a specific question about it. First a little bit about ourselves:

-Originally from Mexico City. Transplanted to Cambridge, MA over 17 years ago. Two kids, one elementary, one middle school. Educator and software engineer, both can work from home, or tend to create their own opportunities.
-LOVE Maine Have camped there year after year. love nature, kayaking, seals, bald eagles, hinking, forests, bold coast......Maine, to us, especially having grown up in Mexico City, is a paradise. We want our children to grow up with nature because we believe that it is self empowering and a source of peace.

Visited Machias last year and loved it. Love the idea of a small community. have seen some properties online that we would love. Have dreamed about opening up our own coffee shop, bookshop, toy store, or something along the lines.

The question is: How receptive is the community in Machias to minorities and to small businesses owned by minorities?

Thanks a lot!!!

I don't live in Machais,but it should be alright for minorities. It is a small college town and there is a sizeable minority presence in the Cherryfield area.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:46 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
It's about your attitude in Maine, not your skin color.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
Mine youths used to rake blueberries and plant trees. They are less inclined to work hard than their parents and grandparents were so Maine needs migrant labor. Fifteen years ago there were no Mexican restaurants in Washington County. Today there are lots of them and they are authentic!

I agree completely with Maineguy8888. Maine is the whitest state. It is not because we don't welcome new people. Our largest Minority is our four tribes; Penobscot, Passamaquoddy, Micmac and Maliseet. I think next is black, then Asian and last is Hispanic. I don't think Maine people regard our French speakers as a minority. I know I don't.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:15 PM

321 posts, read 487,141 times
I think you'll be well received. As others have said, generally speaking, Mainers don't seem to be all that concerned about a person's minority status. There are some people in some parts of Maine who may show some attitude towards outsiders, but when this occurs, it's because a person is not from Maine and doesn't have anything to do with race, ethnicity, etc.

There are always exceptions, just as you would find anywhere else.

I think another thing to consider is your own comfort level with living in a place with very little diversity. It's just a different place than your used to, and living there may require an adjustment.

That having been said, it seems like Machias may be a good choice for you. If you end up making the move, best of luck - the quality of life can be quite good depending on what you value.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:27 AM

506 posts, read 684,169 times
I agree that it is all about attitude and how you live your life. It's funny because I think that the media headlines in Maine have been much kinder to Hispanics than Blacks over the past decade.......but that's because there have been many crimes (some violent) committed by blacks while most of the headlines about Hispanics involve the opening of restaurants or the agricultural work that they do in the state.

Unfortunately, it seems like many blacks have come here to sell drugs and knock up women to collect welfare payments.......while many Hispanics have come here to earn money and start new lives for their families.

I hope that people aren't offended by this post as their are many blacks who have come here for work, college, to raise families, and in some cases.....escape horrific living conditions in their native countries as well.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:54 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,433,571 times
I'm curious what other towns are on your list if Machias is number 1?

I would not be too concerned about attitudes towards ethnicity. I would be concerned about the local economy and its ability to support a small business like the ones you envision. For that reason there may be better choices than Machias.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:07 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
We certainly would welcome you, Rhapsodie (if you have a halfway decent attitude, which it seems you do). Believe me: many, many people in the Lewiston and Portland areas are concerned what mass, sponsored immigration is doing to their communities. I would avoid those two areas if I were you. Bangor is slowly getting the same way, it seems.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:05 PM

341 posts, read 672,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
We certainly would welcome you, Rhapsodie (if you have a halfway decent attitude, which it seems you do). Believe me: many, many people in the Lewiston and Portland areas are concerned what mass, sponsored immigration is doing to their communities. I would avoid those two areas if I were you. Bangor is slowly getting the same way, it seems.
ad

Thanks.....I am not as bad as they are making it seem.....but yes, I would like to not see my own culture taken over...
I do not care what these people say, I have read that the people of Lewiston are quite upset!!

Old 12-28-2014, 04:15 PM

625 posts, read 792,466 times
We do not care what color you are. We care WHO you are. Rhap is one of the few running around with his white sheet that for whatever reason blames everybody for his problems. His type is the minority in Maine!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine