Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:24 PM

64 posts, read 60,119 times

Advertisements

Today's the day I will finally set off from the west coast to see if my midcoast retirement idea is workable. Yay! My prior visits to Maine were mere summertime jaunts up from NYC. Ready for the real deal. I'll be driving up to Belfast from Logan after a red-eye tonight (holy smokes, what was I thinking) to look at towns and get a feel for the distances. With help from all of you I'm about as informed as I can be from a distance, apart from a few pronunciations that I haven't already heard on Northwoods Law. (Passagassa-wha?) You are a mighty generous crowd with your tips, opinions and insights. I now have an awesome real estate agent and am meeting one of our kind-hearted members for coffee in a few days.

If all goes well, in a few years I'll be groping for answers about snow blowing, roof clearing, well maintenance, black flies, bears, ticks, mil rates, cord wood and how to make it through mud season. Meanwhile, have I missed the peak for leaves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 AM

9 posts, read 12,463 times
Have a wonderful trip, Westeasterly. Be sure to stop at Moonbat City Baking on Main St. in downtown Belfast. They make the best from scratch croissants I've ever had!

Old 10-22-2015, 07:51 AM

71 posts, read 251,708 times
Default Happy days to you!

Enjoy your visit! Do let us know what you found as you looked around.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:51 AM

6,620 posts, read 13,474,135 times
The leaves are past peak but it's still pretty, or it was until the rain started this morning. Enjoy your trip!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:29 AM

37,284 posts, read 61,045,095 times
Enjoy your flight.

How long will you be in Maine?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:30 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,610,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westeasterly View Post
I now have an awesome real estate agent and am meeting one of our kind-hearted members for coffee in a few days.
Umm.. word of advice..... rent for a year. It will give you time to decide what town you like, what areas you dont like, etc. Selling homes in Maine can take a long time. You dont want to buy a house and decide a year later you dont like it and loose tons of money. Heck...If we have another winter like last year, you might not like Maine at all.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Enjoy your flight.

How long will you be in Maine?
Thanks, Submariner. It's so great to be back here and I was instantly reminded how Maine got under my skin in the first place.

But I won't repeat that flight plan. The last hour or two of driving was probably unwise after so little sleep. My midcoast friends say they take the bus to Logan instead of flying in and out of Portland or Bangor. What do you all do for west coast flights?

I'll have just five full days here this time and when it's done I will have toured around from Brunswick to Ellsworth and from Bangor to Boothbay Harbor. But Belfast is still in the top slot.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Umm.. word of advice..... rent for a year. It will give you time to decide what town you like, what areas you dont like, etc. Selling homes in Maine can take a long time. You dont want to buy a house and decide a year later you dont like it and loose tons of money. Heck...If we have another winter like last year, you might not like Maine at all.
Absolutely agree, 399. That is exactly my plan. I just wanted to get to know this realtor in person and get his input about stuff that's hard to figure out from a distance. He was recommended by someone else here who began to research a few years in advance and he doesn't mind the longer lead time.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-22-2015, 05:21 PM

37,284 posts, read 61,045,095 times
Quote:
Thanks, Submariner. It's so great to be back here and I was instantly reminded how Maine got under my skin in the first place.

But I won't repeat that flight plan. The last hour or two of driving was probably unwise after so little sleep. My midcoast friends say they take the bus to Logan instead of flying in and out of Portland or Bangor. What do you all do for west coast flights?
Bangor has an independent bus line that does Logan - Bangor.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:26 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,055,557 times
Quote:

I'll have just five full days here this time and when it's done I will have toured around from Brunswick to Ellsworth and from Bangor to Boothbay Harbor. But Belfast is still in the top slot.
be sure to visit pemaquid point and beach if you can ,,,bring a picnic lunch eat on the rocks,,,you can drive right to this lighthouse and sit on the rocks below and see for miles out over the ocean as the waves crash below you ...

Belfast is a nice area as is Camden Lincolnville rockport, rockland, Thomaston

Belfast and rockland have a decent old main street that's still active

the towns right on the coast will be pricey ,,,you can go inland a mile or two or five and find attractive housing values....

many of my ancestors are from Belfast, Camden area. .lots of history in those owns..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine