Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:27 PM

9 posts, read 8,577 times

Advertisements

Hello I am wanting to move my family to Brunswick. I also like to plan things and make sure I am prepared for everything so any help would be appreciated. We are a family of 4, one kid is 8 years the other is 10 months, we are wanting to get away from where we live now, which is TN, hate the temps here it is too hot and sticky, the crime rate sucks, and me and my husband have decided it is time for a change. I have done a lot of research and decided Brunswick would be a good fit for us, but now I am trying to figure out how much our average bills will run us.
Will a prius be ok up there or should I consider trading in for a truck or SUV?
What is the average electricity bill (all I am finding is it depends on everything and I understand that but I know the winters are bad up there and wonder what the average bill is during Dec-Mar timeframe)? I just want to know if I am going to be looking at a $250+ bill.
What is average water bill?
Is car ins a lot up there compared to TN?
My husband works at a hospital prepping rooms for surgeries, he is an ORTA, if anyone knows how much they make or even what a perioperative tech makes up there that would help me out as well. At this time he is looking at the hospitals up there for a job bc that will control when we can actually do this move. But my question is, is it easy enough to get part time jobs if we ever needed extra cash, I work from home but will be laid off in June bc the clinic I work with is selling to a big company and they outsource their billing and coding.
Any help would be appreciated and will help me feel more prepared about the move. Also if anyone has done a similar move any tips would help we are trying to figure out cheapest way to get 2 vehicles and all of our stuff up there. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 06:22 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camsmom0114 View Post
Unless you end up moving in to a house way out in the sticks on a backroad, you'll be fine. Yes, it snows a lot in Maine, but most Maine communities do a great job keeping the roads clear.

Quote:
What is the average electricity bill (all I am finding is it depends on everything and I understand that but I know the winters are bad up there and wonder what the average bill is during Dec-Mar timeframe)? I just want to know if I am going to be looking at a $250+ bill.
It depends. If you heat your home exclusively with electricity (NOT common up here), then you could easily be looking at $250 per month. But if you're heating with electricity, then you won't be paying for oil or gas.

The overwhelming majority of homes in Maine are still heated with oil. That is changing, and if you look around long enough, you can probably find an alternative, especially in Brunswick, but oil is still the norm.

Quote:
What is average water bill?
In Brunswick, your water bill is tied in to your sewer and trash pick up bill. I think most people pay every 3 months or so. Here are the current rates: Brunswick Sewer District - Rates

Quote:
Is car ins a lot up there compared to TN?
I have no idea what rates are in TN. Sorry. But our car insurance here was about the same as it was in Washington state. No significant change.

Quote:
My husband works at a hospital prepping rooms for surgeries, he is an ORTA, if anyone knows how much they make or even what a perioperative tech makes up there that would help me out as well. At this time he is looking at the hospitals up there for a job bc that will control when we can actually do this move.
I'm not sure about that particular job, but medical jobs are always in demand in Maine. Brunswick currently has 2 major hospitals, many clinics, and there are many more in the surrounding towns. His best bet is probably to search the website of the two hospitals (Midcoast and Parkview).

Another good job site is JobsinME.com. Most of the major employers in the area post there.

Quote:
But my question is, is it easy enough to get part time jobs if we ever needed extra cash, I work from home but will be laid off in June bc the clinic I work with is selling to a big company and they outsource their billing and coding.
Maine has never been an easy place to make a living. But if you're willing to work part time in a wide array of jobs, most people don't have too much trouble. In the past few years, my son has worked at a moving company, a T shirt manufacturing place, a local tech manufacturer, a shoe store, and is now at a cafe. He's never been unemployed for more than a few weeks. Are they dream jobs? No. But they are a paycheck.

Quote:
Also if anyone has done a similar move any tips would help we are trying to figure out cheapest way to get 2 vehicles and all of our stuff up there. Thanks in advance!!
We moved 2 vehicles and our stuff from Washington state. I drove one vehicle, and my wife drove the other. We bought some cheap walkie talkies for the road.

I don't remember the name of the company, but we used one of those services where they deliver a big "crate" to your place. You load everything in it. The company drives it to your new home, then you unload it. Far cheaper than a traditional moving company, but far more convenient than places like U-Haul or Ryder.

Final tips:

If you are going to move, you might want to do it soon. Snow could come any time. While it certainly is possible to move in winter, it isn't much fun and definitely adds to the hassle.

Make sure you have a paycheck before you take the plunge.

Welcome to Maine!

Old 11-10-2015, 06:37 AM

@ Mark S. -Thank you so much that helps a lot!!!

Old 11-10-2015, 10:57 AM

747 posts, read 839,672 times
Mark S. gave a very good synopsis. I love everything about Brunswick. It's a vibrant community.
And did anyone mention it is just a short drive from one of the most beautiful beaches in the country?

Old 11-10-2015, 01:31 PM

@TRLaura which beach? I am beyond excited about moving to Brunswick if I could be there today I would. I am really just waiting on a job to open up for my husband and that's probably not going to happen quickly so we are talking about next summer, that way the snow is melted and my daughter will be on summer break so transitioning schools will be easier for her.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:03 PM

89 posts, read 112,635 times
Hi camsmom0114, I lived in Chattanooga for 16 years, now live in NC. But we are also planning a move, possibly next summer. In fact, we're going up next week to look around at some neighborhoods. Have you been to Brunswick (my son works at Maine State Music Theater there in the summers)? It's great and it's one of the places we're considering. In fact, I've loved every part of Maine that I have visited.

Here's a site for information on Maine town's property tax rate (got it on this forum).
Map: How high is your town
My husband telecommutes, but travels to the home office in Chicago periodically so we want to be fairly close to the airport.

We've also subscribed to the e-edition of the Portland Press Herald, which we are really enjoying.

When we moved from Chattanooga to Greensboro, we used a POD, a smaller Hertz truck, and packed our cars full, but it was really tight for a family of 4. Luckily we had a teenager to drive the other car. Good luck with your move!

Old 11-10-2015, 02:35 PM

@dogsandart thank you, and no i haven't been there yet, i have researched so many places and Brunswick fits best my husband is going to be taking some time off soon so we can visit and find some neighborhoods, I've looked at zillow and found a bunch of houses so we have a lot of options.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:18 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Hello I am wanting to move my family to Brunswick. I also like to plan things and make sure I am prepared for everything so any help would be appreciated. We are a family of 4, one kid is 8 years the other is 10 months, we are wanting to get away from where we live now, which is TN, hate the temps here it is too hot and sticky, the crime rate sucks, and me and my husband have decided it is time for a change. I have done a lot of research and decided Brunswick would be a good fit for us, but now I am trying to figure out how much our average bills will run us.
I assume that you are not big into off-roading or else you would already have a 4X4. We have a Prius and we live 3 hours North of Brunswick. A Prius is fantastic for Maine driving. [unless you go off-road mudding a lot]

Quote:
... What is the average electricity bill (all I am finding is it depends on everything and I understand that but I know the winters are bad up there and wonder what the average bill is during Dec-Mar timeframe)? I just want to know if I am going to be looking at a $250+ bill.
We just shifted to Solar-Power, but we were paying around $100/month for electric.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:38 PM

@submariner thank you so much!

Old 11-10-2015, 03:47 PM

32 posts, read 23,674 times
I make in the 42k range as a surgical tech. Many opportunities in your husband's field. I just moved from the high Rockies and couldn't be happier. I also don't think you'll need a 4x4. I have a truck and Hyundai elantra and both do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine