Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,196,841 times

Advertisements

Many newer (10 years and under) sub divisions DO have HOA (Home Owner Associations) which have fencing rules (height, material, etc.) It's true that electronic fences have become quite popular.

Your mileage may vary, the homeowner MUST disclose on their Seller's Property Disclosure whether there are these types of restrictions. The standard amendent that is attached to a Purchase and Sale Agreement gives the seller 5 days and the buyer 5 additional days to review these documents. The fact the the covenants exist and the enforcement of them is up to the association itself, which becomes very problematical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 05:20 PM

37,218 posts, read 60,933,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
... So for all the folks who don't have fences, do they just keep their dogs inside or on long yard leashes or kennels or all of the above?
We do not have fencing for our dog. We do not keep her inside, we let her in when she wants in though.

We have leashes, but we use them mostly on the livestock. When loading or handling goats and pigs kind of thing.

We do have a plastic kennel, someone gave it to us, in case we needed one for holding a goat in our car. Our dog has never been inside it.

Our dog likes to curl-up and sleep on the snowbanks. She does not like to be underneath a roof or walled in, unless she is with us. She spends part of the day/night outside, and part inside.

She can run about a quarter mile in most directions without leaving our property, and it is all thick forest. I would imagine that if she got to chasing a neighbor's livestock they would likely shoot her for us. I have tried to train her not to chase small livestock but we got her as an adult and chasing our goats is just too tempting for her. [it keeps the goats alert].

Old 02-02-2008, 07:51 PM

36 posts, read 86,024 times
Quote:
So for all the folks who don't have fences, do they just keep their dogs inside or on long yard leashes or kennels or all of the above?
In the more affluent areas, I'd say inside. In the less affluent areas you do see dogs outside, either staked out on ropes or on overhead lines (like a clothesline.) Moreso in warmer weather.

In rural areas folks are more likely to let their dogs run if they live far from main roads.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:38 PM

259 posts, read 700,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We do not have fencing for our dog. We do not keep her inside, we let her in when she wants in though.

We have leashes, but we use them mostly on the livestock. When loading or handling goats and pigs kind of thing.

We do have a plastic kennel, someone gave it to us, in case we needed one for holding a goat in our car. Our dog has never been inside it.

Our dog likes to curl-up and sleep on the snowbanks. She does not like to be underneath a roof or walled in, unless she is with us. She spends part of the day/night outside, and part inside.

She can run about a quarter mile in most directions without leaving our property, and it is all thick forest. I would imagine that if she got to chasing a neighbor's livestock they would likely shoot her for us. I have tried to train her not to chase small livestock but we got her as an adult and chasing our goats is just too tempting for her. [it keeps the goats alert].
I saw some pics of your goats and their beautiful pen in the photo section of this forum, its incredible! My husband and I do dream of a life like that, perhaps we will get to that point, we just bought the book straw rev.

So sounds like those who do have dogs just generally put up a fence then or a long leash. We will probably need a fence because of our timid boxer but in the future I'd love to raise dogs more like how you describe.

Thanks for all the inputs!

Old 02-03-2008, 03:51 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,553,788 times
"Our dog likes to curl-up and sleep on the snowbanks."

When I ran sled dogs each dog had its own house. They were large plastic drums that food came in. Each drum had contained pimentos, peppers, miniature onions or other pickled veggies. When my team passed another team they got some funny looks from the other dogs because to them my team smelled like a salad, but I digress.

Each dog had a hole in the snow where he curled up to sleep. If it was warm enough he would melt down into the snow and rather than get wet he would move to his other hole. The first one would soon refreeze. The only time they would go into their houses was when it rained. Then they would glower out at the world.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I saw some pics of your goats and their beautiful pen in the photo section of this forum, its incredible! My husband and I do dream of a life like that, perhaps we will get to that point, we just bought the book straw rev.

So sounds like those who do have dogs just generally put up a fence then or a long leash. We will probably need a fence because of our timid boxer but in the future I'd love to raise dogs more like how you describe.

Thanks for all the inputs!
Dream?

Do!

There is plenty of room for doing. But a finite amount of time. When my time is run-out I would like to think that I had done what I dreamed of.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"Our dog likes to curl-up and sleep on the snowbanks."

When I ran sled dogs each dog had its own house. They were large plastic drums that food came in. Each drum had contained pimentos, peppers, miniature onions or other pickled veggies. When my team passed another team they got some funny looks from the other dogs because to them my team smelled like a salad, but I digress.

Each dog had a hole in the snow where he curled up to sleep. If it was warm enough he would melt down into the snow and rather than get wet he would move to his other hole. The first one would soon refreeze. The only time they would go into their houses was when it rained. Then they would glower out at the world.
This girl does not like a dog house at all. She will go in and out a few times each night. We have observed that where it is windy, or sleeting, or snowing; does not appear to change her attitude.

She curls-up in a circle and melts that circle of snow into a bowl shape. Three foot in diameter smooth bowls of ice, in the snow.

She likes to be aware of her surroundings, to hear everything in a large radius. To be inside of a structure she can't hear as well.

I have been reading about this breed mix [Pyrenees X Anatolian Shepherd Dog], and this behavior appears to be typical of the breed mix. She thinks she is guarding something.

My issue is that her sleeping 'bowls' get covered with powder. If I dont see them, and step into one then my foot may slide out from under me.

In the mornings, she likes to jump onto my DW in bed and snuggle. When my DW gets up, the dog strecthes out. Her head and front paws on the pillow, and her rear paws at the foot of the bed. Big stupid dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine