Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:45 AM
HCC HCC started this thread

88 posts, read 290,337 times

Advertisements

Hi Can anyone tell me more about Foster Island, ME? History, infrastructure or any details would be really helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:03 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,057 times
Looks like this gem is for sale! Only $1,900,000.00 ( This is most definitely not part of the living frugal thread)

http://www.boatmaine.us/calsingle.aspx?resID=4245

Foster Island, Maine, United States

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:46 AM..

Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
I spent a week in May on the next island over. There are good anchorages and a good channel up into Millbridge. You have ready access to fuel and a store ashore. The south end of the island has a clear view of the open Atlantic with nothing between you and Capetown, South Africa. Use caution northwest of the Island as that ground is shallow and rocky. At high tide it is very deceptive.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:14 PM

Hi Moughie: Someone must have moved my post, as it was originally posted in the "Maine" room... Anyway, yes, I am really looking into that lovely Island as a retreat. In a way it most certainly does belong on the frugal board, consider this-$1.9M for over 300 acres of pristine Maine land on a private island. Now that's a bargain!

NMLM: Thanks for the info. When I google mapped this it appears there is a paved road running through Foster Island. Do you know if that is correct? Are the surrounding islands populated? I have no interest in developing Foster Island into a sort of Disney Land or anything like that and there are restrictions in place from one even doing that sort of thing. However, my dream would be to build a house there and a small, all-purpose community building, so that people could visit during the day and have craft groups, small performances, ect... Are island people into that sort of community thing or just wanna be left to themselves generally?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:26 PM

"However, my dream would be to build a house there and a small, all-purpose community building, so that people could visit during the day and have craft groups, small performances, ect..."

I don't want to rain on your parade, but there is up to a 15 foot tide on Foster Island. You get there by boat, tie off to a mooring and bring your dinghy to shore. You can haul heavy gear and tie up to a pier, but you need to keep a close eye on your boat because the tide can rise or fall more than 2 feet per hour at peak ebb. Do not leave your boat at a pier because you could return and find you boat suspended in the air some 8 feet above the water level. Worse still, you could come back to the pier and find your boat submerged if it could not lift with the tide.

The road is likely crushed shells because weeds don't grow in it. There are likely a few vehicles on the island. Most islands have a few vehicles and once on the island, registrations, inspections and insurance expire forever. Island people don't bother with such trivialities. I expect that the vehicles will be a farm tractor and trailer for moving gear and people, some sort of passenger car with the wiper blades missing, They dry rotted years ago. There might even be a (horrors) ATV on the island as modern conveniences intrude. There will be a radio, and generator. There is unlikely to be a TV. Fresh water will be from a natural spring. I'm just bringing my various island experiences to these pages. I have never set foot on Foster Island.

The three large islands south of Foster are Dyer, Trafton and Pond Islands. They do not have year round residents. I don't know anything about Flint Island which is nearly due east magnetic of Pond Island. If you head southeast from any of these islands it's half way around the world to land. As the old police sergeant used to say on the TV show, "You be careful out there."

Hope this helps. If you want to see the island I can take you out in my boat. Just send me a PM from this page.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 07-21-2009 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 07:39 PM

By the way, The Rockefeller family purchased Foster Island in the 1960's. In 1973, Mr. and Mrs. David Rockefeller placed a conservation easement on the property that is currently held by the State of Maine.

In 1964 I was in the Caribbean flying SEALs around by helicopter and they got a request to increase the size of the opening into the lagoon the Rockefellers owned on St Johns Island. The SEALs went in with rubber rafts and set their explosives in the reef. There was just one problem. They did it at night and they were off by just one lagoon entrance. The detonation was spectacular and pieces of coral, fish, Moray eels and seaweed rained down on a family reception. They did get a nice big lagoon entrance though.

One of my many island adventures.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 PM

Ha! Sounds like an adventure... I appreciate all your feedback NMLM. I am glad the Rockefellers, as much as I don't like their politics, have preserved the island for the last 40 yrs and put such easements in place. When I saw the documentary "The Man Who Bought Mustique," a highly misunderstood film, btw, I knew, if I ever owned an island, I definitely DID NOT WANT it to turn into THAT! 'Nuff said.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,321 times
Talking Foster Island.....tranquillity abounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"However, my dream would be to build a house there and a small, all-purpose community building, so that people could visit during the day and have craft groups, small performances, ect..."

I don't want to rain on your parade, but there is up to a 15 foot tide on Foster Island. You get there by boat, tie off to a mooring and bring your dinghy to shore. You can haul heavy gear and tie up to a pier, but you need to keep a close eye on your boat because the tide can rise or fall more than 2 feet per hour at peak ebb. Do not leave your boat at a pier because you could return and find you boat suspended in the air some 8 feet above the water level. Worse still, you could come back to the pier and find your boat submerged if it could not lift with the tide.

The road is likely crushed shells because weeds don't grow in it. There are likely a few vehicles on the island. Most islands have a few vehicles and once on the island, registrations, inspections and insurance expire forever. Island people don't bother with such trivialities. I expect that the vehicles will be a farm tractor and trailer for moving gear and people, some sort of passenger car with the wiper blades missing, They dry rotted years ago. There might even be a (horrors) ATV on the island as modern conveniences intrude. There will be a radio, and generator. There is unlikely to be a TV. Fresh water will be from a natural spring. I'm just bringing my various island experiences to these pages. I have never set foot on Foster Island.

The three large islands south of Foster are Dyer, Trafton and Pond Islands. They do not have year round residents. I don't know anything about Flint Island which is nearly due east magnetic of Pond Island. If you head southeast from any of these islands it's half way around the world to land. As the old police sergeant used to say on the TV show, "You be careful out there."

Hope this helps. If you want to see the island I can take you out in my boat. Just send me a PM from this page.
Northern Maine Land Man, are you still around? I just moved here (to Maine) at the beginning of May, so I am new to the area, but I feel like I could have grown up here and loved it! I happened upon the Foster Island thread because I was browsing real-estate, too. (We are renting now, but want to buy within the year or so) Anyway, do you know if there is a place to camp on the sland to kind of test it out?
Also, I did not know that the northern portion is in reserve. I know that Tinker Island has a sanctuary on the northern 200 acres, but the southern 200 acres is for sale. Apparently, you can camp on it by permit. Tinker Island - Preserves I was wondering if you can do the same on Foster? Okay, here's hoping you get this after a two year hiatus on this thread!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 PM

I am still around and hope to be around for years to come. Foster Island is private and there is a caretaker. Camping is not allowed on either Foster or Pond Island. I have never set foot on Tinker Island. I'll give you permission to camp on Deer Island though. I'm on the board of directors of the institute that owns it. No fires, but camp stoves are OK. PM me with any questions.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,055 times
Default Still available, and still to much money...

Looked at it. Price down from $1,9M to $1,65M. But who wants to spend that kind of money on property that has restrictions on it? Conservation easements are fine when people want to give up their right to care for property as they see fit, else, not all that attractive. Anyone know what property taxes might be for this island?

(BTW, the conservation easement signed by the Rockefellers is available on the internet; cannot attach it here as PDF attachments are not allowed... If interested check http://www.knowlesco.com/media/com_i...n+Easement.pdf)

Last edited by FosterChild; 12-01-2015 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Can't edit subject... but "to much money" should obviosuly read "too much money" ----- bummer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine